Narrowboat sinks at Canary Wharf

eightpot

Featured Posts

Five rescued from water as narrow boat sinks

25 August 2012

Police were called at 17.27hrs on Friday, 24 August, to a narrow boat taking on water in the River Thames near to Canary Wharf.

Officers from the Marine Policing Unit arrived within two minutes, by which time the narrow boat had started to sink. The vessel sank completely just minutes later.

Police officers rescued three people from the water and two people were rescued by a London RIB Experience boat. A dog was also rescued by police officers.

All five people - the boat's female owner and four men - were taken to hospital as a precaution and were subsequently discharged. The dog, named Gus, was also uninjured.

Inspector Tania Martin of the MPS Marine Policing Unit said: "The Thames is a dangerous river especially in mid-flow where the tidal stream can carry a person away below the surface in seconds.

"The five people were not wearing lifejackets, were weighed down with shoes and clothing and were in shock from the cold water and a vessel sinking. What appeared to be a relatively safe hop across the river between marinas had turned into a potentially life threatening situation in a matter of seconds.

"Both RIB Voyages and police crews recognised the potentially fatal situation and demonstrated great composure and control to carry out this rescue."

Another example of boaters, on a river, not wearing lifejackets

How blasted thick can they be?

It would be interesting to learn why it sank.

One possibility is that the wash from a fast-moving boat (like the RIB Experience) swamped the stern, which, if all five people and the dog were stationed there, would have been dangerously low in the water anyway.

Below Wandsworth Bridge there is no speed limit, but I have found that, in practice, boats like the RIB Experience and the clippers tend to go faster below Tower Bridge than above it. I have often encountered a very big wash from these vessels and have been glad that I was not in a NB.

The bottom line is that NBs, with their low freeboard, are not the ideal vessel for these conditions, and great care should be taken in this area. Taking care ought to apply too to the drivers of the RIB Experience boats which seem to take delight in kicking up a massive wash.

Apart from carrying an anchor with a long rode, my advice to anybody doing the Limehouse to Brentford stretch would be to take steps to ensure that, if a wave does come over the bow or stern, it won't find its way below. Once you have taken on one load of water, it will be very difficult to avoid taking on more, and disaster will follow swiftly.

I'd say it was quite an old boat with possibly an air cooled engine and would probably have quite a low down in the hull open air intake grid of something like 12X6'' always very vulnerable in rough water,the hot air outlet would be a bit higher up.

Further to my previous post, the worst sailing disaster in British history was the 1979 Fastnet race, in which 15 people lost their lives, and five boats were sunk. The enquiry blamed, inter alia, the design of washboards, which were able to fall out when boats capsized, thereby enabling the boats to take on water and sink.

The same applies to narrow-boats. If they can't take on water when a large wave breaks over them, then they won't sink (provided they don't capsize!).

I'd say it was quite an old boat with possibly an air cooled engine and would probably have quite a low down in the hull open air intake grid of something like 12X6'' always very vulnerable in rough water,the hot air outlet would be a bit higher up.

Sounds quite likely, and if so, then it was definitely not suitable for the conditions.

Edited by George94

We went past it yesterday. Local gossip was that it had been dropped into the water at south dock and was going across to Limehouse when they had a "stern gland" problem. I have never been into South Dock so may have the position wrong but I think the rescued boat was perhaps 100m away the entrance. A marine surveyor and welder were just climbing on board as we went past, I have to say that having a problem on the tideway which needs help from a welder does not sound good. There was also a nasty punch like dent in the superstructure at the front, we could not work out what caused that.

When came back up to Limehouse there was someone there but we were too busy watching 4 ribs and 2 clippers go past us all within a few seconds of each other. All 6 went past us at speed and I have to say it was not too bad, there is less wash when they are at speed but I get the feeling that we get random bounce back waves from the river walls which can be awkward. Slow moving boats especially the City Cruiser that we call Battleship Potemkin are worse but not the very worse. Yes treat the tideway with extreme respect, take loads of care, prepare properly but don't get too paranoid about the other boats.

We wanted to get the rest of the gossip from the lockies when we came back but after 4 hours of minor squalls the heavens opened as we came back into Limehouse - the rain was silly intensity so we let them dive for cover.

Further to my previous post, the worst sailing disaster in British history was the 1979 Fastnet race, in which 15 people lost their lives, and five boats were sunk. The enquiry blamed, inter alia, the design of washboards, which were able to fall out when boats capsized, thereby enabling the boats to take on water and sink.

The same applies to narrow-boats. If they can't take on water when a large wave breaks over them, then they won't sink (provided they don't capsize!).

Sounds quite likely, and if so, then it was definitely not suitable for the conditions.

Indeed and these engine space air intakes are usually only a few inches above the water line as are some engine space ventilation grids in some water cooled engined n/b's and w/b's, so crossing the river with perhaps a strong tidal current running and possibly a strong wind with it and fast boats passing by could have caused the boat to keep broaching and become quickly flooded through these apertures. In such conditions indeed if the conditions were similar to how i've explained then the safest way across would have been to have gone up or down stream far enough to enable it to cross over at a gentle diagonal angle quartering any large waves. But of course we don't know the true state or design of the boat or the river and wind conditions at the time.

All this sounds like a good reason for a narrowboat not to go below Brentford.

The simple truth is that NBs are not designed for rough water, and the Thames, below Tower bridge especially, can be choppy. The choppiness is the result of other boats going fast.

I think it is unlikely that a NB would turn turtle in these conditions, but taking water over the side is not at all unlikely. Hence the advice to ensure that it can't get inside the boat. When it does, it will quickly rush to the part of the boat that is lowest, and the likelihood of shipping more water is then high.

So, by all means go, but be aware of the dangers, and take appropriate measures.

So, where it sits now, I take it that that spot floods when the tide comes in? Is that where she sank, or was she taken there?

I would guess the boat was taken there, because that is where it probably would have been taken (close to the wall, so as not to be a hazard to other boats) if it wasn't there to start with!

Is the boat a small Springer? I'm not sure as I'm used to seeing them with those flared bits on top of the bow.

A small narrowboat like that (especially if unballasted which is often the case with those boats), would tend to pitch considerably in the waves which might cause it to take on water, but if it was a stern gland problem then it wasn't really fit for the river. If the absence of lifejackets is any indication, then it sounds like the boat was equally ill-prepared as those onboard.

I've been downstream from Brentford to Limehouse and back several times in my boat and preparation is the key. I also once helped someone to take their narrowboat from Limehouse to South Dock as they didn't have VHF so I brought my handheld along. Just as we were pulling out of the lock the lockkeeper said "Stay out on deck rather than inside, just in case it goes down."

Good advice, but not something I particularly wanted to hear at the time!

Edited by blackrose

So given that loads of boaters have recently managed to sink narrow boats in ordinary canal locks, would you then extend your logic to say all those are good reasons never to take a narrow boat through an ordinary canal lock ? :wacko:

I find it hard to give a balanced view. Yes, the tidal Thames is a bit extreme, approach it with trepidation. But very simply as DogHOuse says make sure you are prepared. No life jackets is not being prepared. If Saturday's gossip at Limehouse was true then it was a "stern gland" problem, nothing to do with other boats or even it being the Thames tideway. As far as I know this is the first narrowboat to have sunk in the tidal Thames, does any one know otherwise?

We were one of two boats that went out on Saturday for a trip from Limehouse, past HMS Ocean, through the barrier, danced with the ferry and came back when the tide turned. We all had life jackets, even the dogs have life jackets, we both had vhf radio, anchors ready to deploy etc etc. If you are prepared then the tidal Thames is simply stunning. We had a fantastic cruise on Saturday, yes the exit (ie going out not coming in) from Limehouse was rough thanks to an odd moment with vast numbers of boats going past but then the water was unusually calm round the Isle of Dogs, I am so grateful that the other boat wanted company for a trip on Saturday, I would have been at home cutting the grass if not for their suggestion which has made my weekend. Probably doing Limehouse to Teddington next weekend or the weekend after, it is a trip we do several times a year but I am so looking forward to it, I can't wait.

Staying on deck is sound advice, if you go in then unclip your life jacket as the last thing you want to happen is being pinned to a surface if a boat goes down.

I am at a loss why there is often a knuckle of choppy water below Tower Bridge. It has been there, spraying up water, even when there are no other boats about. It does give your fender a good wash - see Leo No. 2's photo here: http://leo-no-2.blogspot.co.uk

I would add to "be aware of the dangers, and take appropriate measures" a line saying put your bicycle clips on but don't forget to enjoy yourself.

Edited by RichardN

I find it hard to give a balanced view. Yes, the tidal Thames is a bit extreme, approach it with trepidation. But very simply as DogHOuse says make sure you are prepared. No life jackets is not being prepared. If Saturday's gossip at Limehouse was true then it was a "stern gland" problem, nothing to do with other boats or even it being the Thames tideway. As far as I know this is the first narrowboat to have sunk in the tidal Thames, does any one know otherwise?

I doubt it's the first narrowboat to sink on the tidal Thames, but there are certainly many more sinkings on the canals. I wonder how the sinking figures would stack up - number of boats on the canals / tidal rivers vs. number of sinkings on each type of waterway?

I am at a loss why there is often a knuckle of choppy water below Tower Bridge. It has been there, spraying up water, even when there are no other boats about. It does give your fender a good wash - see Leo No. 2's photo here: http://leo-no-2.blogspot.co.uk

Isn't it because the river narrows? That narrowing also makes the flow pretty quick when you're coming downstream on an ebb tide. Someone else told me the bottom had been dredged in steps across the river, but I'm not sure if that's true.

I would add to "be aware of the dangers, and take appropriate measures" a line saying put your bicycle clips on but don't forget to enjoy yourself.

And wear your brown trousers if you come downstream and try to enter Limehouse.

Edited by blackrose

Best not mention the Titanic !!!

:o

The Titanic had engines, not sails!

Furthermore, it didn't sink in British waters. Nor was it a private pleasure boat. And icebergs are not a hazard that are often encountered on British waterways.

But apart from all that, yes, thank you for reminding me of the Titanic.

Indeed and these engine space air intakes are usually only a few inches above the water line as are some engine space ventilation grids in some water cooled engined n/b's and w/b's, so crossing the river with perhaps a strong tidal current running and possibly a strong wind with it and fast boats passing by could have caused the boat to keep broaching and become quickly flooded through these apertures. In such conditions indeed if the conditions were similar to how i've explained then the safest way across would have been to have gone up or down stream far enough to enable it to cross over at a gentle diagonal angle quartering any large waves. But of course we don't know the true state or design of the boat or the river and wind conditions at the time.

Also been a Landrover driver, strikes me that some boats need snorkels..And no I don't mean submarines, you know what Imean

I don't think there's anything inherently dangerous when using the tidal Thames if you prepare correctly. It's usually quite placid above Vauxhall Bridge but can get quite bumpy below there especially in the narrow parts with the speed increasing and the Thames Clippers and RIBS let alone the other commercial traffic.

•  
  • Anchor ready to go and warp attached correctly
  • Crew fully briefed on what is expected of them
  • VHF on channel 14 (London VTS)
  • Take everything you won't need on the voyage off the roof
  • Buoyancy aids on when outside
  • Good watch kept through 360 degrees
  • Keep out of the way of commercial shipping
  • Mobile phone number for London VTS to hand
  • Boat prepared - doors closed etc
  • Engine in good order - no known issues
  • Plenty of diesel - the fuel will get shaken around a bit
  • Speak to the team at Limehouse lock - they have a huge amount of experience and enjoy helping you - pay a visit to Limehouse Lock before your planned journey - they will appreciate that

I am sure I will have missed something out!

It's a part of the river that will catch you out if you don't prepare and/or pay attention at all times but will reward you with an exhilarating experience if you prepared wisely.

I doubt it's the first narrowboat to sink on the tidal Thames

Evidence?

I have asked the Limehouse Lockies a few times over the years have any narrowboats sunk and they have always been rather pleased to say that they have not lost anyone. I have not asked the question recently so can't be definitive hence asking does anyone know otherwise. If we go next weekend then I will ask on Saturday whether Mini Moo is the first.

"Try to enter Limehouse": Everybody gets in eventually! A good starting point for guidance is the downstream edition of the Thames Tidal Handbooks, follow the advice and you will get into the lock in one piece. The handbooks don't seem to have been ported to the new CRT website but the former links to Waterscape are back working, we have also uploaded copies to here.

Kathryn: Good list, we may plagarise it!

Buoyancy aids / Life Jackets - the one thing I 'agonised over as regards wording. :-)

I know, I have in the past too.

What makes it worse is buoyancy aids tend to be more jacket shaped than lifejackets.

I have accumulated a number of buoyancy aids that I am loathe to part with in case the purchasers treat them as lifesavers.