GONE FISHING....

Featured Posts

There are crayfish and crayfish.

The native white-clawed crayfish is an endagered species, and has been all but wiped out in many areas due to imported species, notable the signal crayfish. This is not only larger and more agressive, it also carries a fungal disease which the native species hsa no resistance to.

Eat as many of the nasty foreign johnnies as you can, although I think it may be illegal to be in possession of one - it is illegal to keep most non-native species in captivity in open water. They can cross quite large distances overland!

Wherever you go on the system the 'hot' fishing spots are always well documented. Where to fish and where not to fish is a matter of common sense.

For instance casting your line into the hedgerow is unlikely to reward you with fish. Likewise trees tend to be bad for fishing. Though there are a lot of Perches there. You must not encRoach on private property. If the gate is locked with a Chub lock, climbing over a barbed wire fence can cause a sPike to tear your clothing.

You might try a muddy puddle on the tow path, but fish tend to be deeper than puddles and dangling a baited hook in front of a flapping fish produces poor results.

The water is the best place to find fish. The reason for this is simple, there are fish in the water. They call it home. Without water fish begin to smell and at best are only good for crow food.

Exactly where the fish are can be determined very simply if somewhat noisily. A stick of dynamite will tell you if there are fish near where you are standing. (You will need a big umbrella).

However this has a drawback. Once the stick of dynamite has indicated the whereabouts of the fish, they tend not to take the bait. Fish are not stupid they know your game and they lay motionless on the surface until you go away.

You could resort to the time honoured tradition of dropping your picnic lunch in the water to encourage the passing fish to tarry awhile and snack on your lunch, while you endeavour to hook some of them out of the water. This too has its problems. If they were fed with ham and cheese sandwiches yesterday, today they might like beef. If you only have luncheon meat (Spam) and the fish feel like beef you will be wasting your time. Best work on your tan.

Planning is very important visit the canal the day before you want to go fishing and see what other fishermen are feeding them. You can then adjust you lunch on the day to give the fish a bit of variety.

Don't bother fishing in the water for Kippers. When a fish gets to that stage the last thing that will entice it out of it's plastic bag is a tuna sandwich. If kippers are your bag then you should fish in the supermarket. The only bait needed is money.

Remember that one end of the rod has a fool on it so be sure to stand at the other end (for this you will need waders).

Enjoy your days fishing.

For instance casting your line into the hedgerow is unlikely to reward you with fish. Likewise trees tend to be bad for fishing.

Damn it!!! I find putting my line in water usually results in me having to do something with it - which only distrupts the peace and quiet of the whole experience

P.S your post maffi had me roaring with laughter in a tittering lady like way.

That might be okay for Janet on the River Calder, but I'm not sure about the L&L, or any other canal for that matter :cheers:

Don't s'pose there's much you can do with roach or gudgeon?

I think there's too high a proportion of bone to flesh, but perhaps you copuld try the whitebait approach?

Can you actually eat what you catch on the canals? (That is, of course, if I manage to catch anything larger than a stickleback!)

Janet

Yes. Just wash it really thoroughly both before and after you gut it. Unless the fish came out of a particularly grubby stretch, in which case you might want to think twice....

Don't know how dirty the canals are around yours, but I personally wouldn't eat anything that has lived in the Grand Union in London... too many dead rats and car tyres floating around.

...could be a case in point!

It's frowned on to take and eat coarse fish.

oh? I've never frowned upon it, in fact I'm all for it :D

However, pike are good eating, and eels of course. Everything else is one of too bony to bother with (like chub), too "muddy" (like tench and bream) or downright poisonous if you don't watch what you're doing (like barbel - the roe of which can be deadly).

Go to the chippie instead.

John

The bream I had last week was the best fish I've had in 5 years (that was a fresh Nile Perch from Lake Nasser!)

You can have some pretty grim fish from the chippie!

(but the barbel thing - is that really so? I know "everyone" says so, but I can't find out anywhere what is poisonous about them. Likewise its spines are reputed to be poisonous if you get them stuck in you. Is that really true?)

Maffi, I've seen that one before from you (possibly in a previous incarnation). :)

Well, I did it. I went fishing, and wouldn't you just know it, the heavens opened as soon as I arrived at the canal!

I caught two absolute MONSTERS! One about three inches, and one that was nearly, oh, at least 4 inches!

You'd have thought I'd landed a world record, I was so chuffed!

It was a bit difficult, being on my own and not having a clue what to do, but I managed OK, I think. Found it improved when I decided to shelter under a bridge and fish from there. The wind on the exposed bit was making it more like kite flying than fishing.

As I could actually see the fish, with the water being very clear, I'm a bit tempted to take a harpoon next time. I might have more luck!

Janet

I think there's too high a proportion of bone to flesh, but perhaps you copuld try the whitebait approach?

Yes. Just wash it really thoroughly both before and after you gut it. Unless the fish came out of a particularly grubby stretch, in which case you might want to think twice....

...could be a case in point!

oh? I've never frowned upon it, in fact I'm all for it :cheers:

The bream I had last week was the best fish I've had in 5 years (that was a fresh Nile Perch from Lake Nasser!)

You can have some pretty grim fish from the chippie!

(but the barbel thing - is that really so? I know "everyone" says so, but I can't find out anywhere what is poisonous about them. Likewise its spines are reputed to be poisonous if you get them stuck in you. Is that really true?)

Maffi, I've seen that one before from you (possibly in a previous incarnation). :)

OK, that's my afternoon completely gone. I found this link:

http://www.weyriver.co.uk/theriver/wildlife_5_fish.htm

Since I'm currently buying a boat with home mooring on the Wey, (and I've probably bored the a*** off everyone on the forum by bangin' on about it) I think I'd better have a quick shuftie at this too.

John

Barbel

Although there are more than 200 species of this fish in the world the barbel (Barbus barbus) is the only one that resides in the River Wey. Favoured by anglers for its fighting spirit the barbel can reach up to 10 lb (4.5 kg) but as the eggs it carries are poisonous is not regarded as an edible fish. The species reaching up to 36 in (90 cm) can vary in colour depending upon the colour of the river bed and water with variations from yellow to brown-black, and are most active at night. As its name implies barbels hand from the corners of its mouth, these used to sense food. Barbel were caught up to 10lb 10 oz (4.8 kg) on the Wey in September 2004.

I just found that on the site that John suggested for the Wey. Interesting reading!

Janet

Edited by Janet S

Barbel

Although there are more than 200 species of this fish in the world the barbel (Barbus barbus) is the only one that resides in the River Wey. Favoured by anglers for its fighting spirit the barbel can reach up to 10 lb (4.5 kg) but as the eggs it carries are poisonous is not regarded as an edible fish. The species reaching up to 36 in (90 cm) can vary in colour depending upon the colour of the river bed and water with variations from yellow to brown-black, and are most active at night. As its name implies barbels hand from the corners of its mouth, these used to sense food. Barbel were caught up to 10lb 10 oz (4.8 kg) on the Wey in September 2004.

I just found that on the site that John suggested for the Wey. Interesting reading!

Janet

Yeah, I keep reading that sort of thing but nowhere have I seen it reported what the poison actually is. In my sceptical way I can't help vaguely wondering if it's one of those tales that gains veracity simply by being repeated indefinitely, or if it's actually, really true. If its true, is there someone who knows what the poison is? Or what the poisonous effects of eating it would be?

(Other than "death" I hasten to add :cheers: - I want a bit more detail than that. And oh, Minerva, please try not to let your imagination run away with you when/if you reply :) .....oh, cancel that, please do, I'd love to hear about the most gruesome death by poison you can come up with ROFLMAO)

Having nothing better to do, I've just run a Google search on 'barbel' AND 'roe' AND 'poison'. Just 39 hits. Ignoring those sites that manage to link these words with what I can only describe as fetishistic activities, I found just one that seemed to put them in any reasonable(?) context - Nostradamus where it says:

"He who was buried will come out of the tomb, he will make the strong one out of the bridge to be bound with chains. Poisoned with the roe of a barbel, the great one from Lorraine by the Marquis du Pont." Century VII (24)

Make what you can of that particular forecast!

Having nothing better to do, I've just run a Google search on 'barbel' AND 'roe' AND 'poison'. Just 39 hits. Ignoring those sites that manage to link these words with what I can only describe as fetishistic activities, I found just one that seemed to put them in any reasonable(?) context - Nostradamus where it says:

"He who was buried will come out of the tomb, he will make the strong one out of the bridge to be bound with chains. Poisoned with the roe of a barbel, the great one from Lorraine by the Marquis du Pont." Century VII (24)

Make what you can of that particular forecast!

That's funny, because I did exactly what you did and I too saw the Nostradamus quote.

I'll see if I can find a more reliable authority than the big N and get back to you.

Cheers,

John

"Barbel caviar on toast, sir?"

"Just bring me a coffee please."

I wait with "baited" breath :)

(no-o-o-o Maffi, don't suggest I try the spellchecker :cheers: )

Actually, I have tried to get hold of firm scientific backing for the poisonous thing and I've failed entirely; it does indeed seem to be a bit Urban Myth-like (well, rural myth I suppose). I've also read (somewhere - who knows) that barbel were quite commonly eaten by Londoners many moons ago when the Thames was teeming with them (Barbus barbus, I mean - not Londoners)

John

Actually, I have tried to get hold of firm scientific backing for the poisonous thing and I've failed entirely; it does indeed seem to be a bit Urban Myth-like (well, rural myth I suppose). I've also read (somewhere - who knows) that barbel were quite commonly eaten by Londoners many moons ago when the Thames was teeming with them (Barbus barbus, I mean - not Londoners)

John

I've tried too - I have one last resort, a guy at work who is well into angling, so when I next run across him, I'll ask him if he knows anything. Watch this space!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, you lot. I need your help!

After years of cruising the canals and cursing miserable po-faced fishermen, I've now had a mid-life crisis.

I went out yesterday and bought myself a rod and all the bits. I now intend to find a bit of canal and drown a few maggots, and try to prove that all anglers aren't miserable! I will move my rod swiftly out of the way of any boat, and smile nicely as I watch you cruise by!

As a total beginner, knowing absolutely nothing about fishing, I'd appreciate any help and advice I can get. I don't know anyone else who fishes, so I expect it will be a steep learning curve! I got some helpful advice from the guy in the Angling Shop, but I really don't want to have to pester him every five minutes! I'm intending to fish mainly on the Leeds Liverpool canal, as well as any others we cruise on, and also on the River Calder. I had a go on the river last night, and got a few nibbles - I know they were nibbling because my worm kept getting shorter! Didn't manage to land anything though. I seemed to spend more time untangling my line than actually fishing. Thoroughly enjoyed it though. I'm sure things can only get better!

Any information would be great. Thanks guys,

Janet

Hi janet

My advice to you Janet is to fish boat free rivers or pools .

There are bigger and better quality of fish there that havnt had bits chopped off by props.

also the fish will be able to see your bait in water that isnt like hot chocolate.

Regards Caz

• 2 weeks later...

Janet, try to sell your rods and stuff to someone else. I have the answer you require.

Lime or dynamite, both excellant for producing fish and sometimes they jump out into your arms, so no need to net them. Use dynamite on faster flowing sections as the lime tends to disperse too quickly.

Well you can sit by the water, locked in intellectual battle with a fish for a few hours or take the advice of a chap I used to know who spent many months in the Korean jungle. A hand grenade thrown into the water will present you with as many fish as you can manage.

Definition of a fishing rod -

A stick with a hook at one end and a fool at the other.