GONE FISHING....

Featured Posts

• 1 year later...
Well, I did it. I went fishing, and wouldn't you just know it, the heavens opened as soon as I arrived at the canal!

I caught two absolute MONSTERS! One about three inches, and one that was nearly, oh, at least 4 inches!

You'd have thought I'd landed a world record, I was so chuffed!

It was a bit difficult, being on my own and not having a clue what to do, but I managed OK, I think. Found it improved when I decided to shelter under a bridge and fish from there. The wind on the exposed bit was making it more like kite flying than fishing.

As I could actually see the fish, with the water being very clear, I'm a bit tempted to take a harpoon next time. I might have more luck!

Janet

keep at it janet its good fun enjoy and dont forget to smile

janet feed feed feed get your tckle right float line etc probably 3lb line on reel while your still in the novice stage progress down to 1 1/2 lb straight thru 1lb bottom size 20 -16 accordibng to bait bigger for bread flake smaller for mags . get a landing net . keepnet if you must . make up some ground bait buy some cheap sliced bread leave it somewhere warm till it goes hard put it something and get in broke up into crumb get your self some propriatory ground bait if you can afford it . make up a good amount of groundbait mix up with some canal water if you smoke rub yur hands in some grass and or dirt before yo u fish . and mix mix to a consistancy so that the groundbait just holds together so only add water slowly not to much of it /. add some maggots to mis if you like pick a spot not in center of canal try and fish on the ledge sloping down to deeper channel bait the area with a few ball s of groundbait to start then fish( 3 or 4 balls) then fish set your float so that you r bait is on the bottom ie start over weight your float with lead then set your float to say 4 foot then cast into swim if the float sink you need to higher the float if the float lays flat then you need to lower the float on the line you keep adjusting untill the floatssits on top standing upright . when youve found this depth you know your bait will be on the bottom always a good place to start i think from there you can make your bait shaallower in the water or whatever hope youve foloowed this . when you r fishing feed regularly while fishing if you want fish to feed you must feed them the game is putting in enough and not too much you can put it in but cant take it out little and often dont put too much in to start with in cold weather but in the summer put a couple of boat loads in hope this is some help ive been fishing for a while any time give me a call colin

Jeeez Colin! That post was from over a year ago! Brought back some memories!I'm still fishing, still smiling, and doing very well at both coarse and fly fishing.Janet
hey janet your a regular enthusiast now then i started fly fishing when i was 14 an old boy that had the tackle shop told me whot to do and i taught myself from there sued to nick on the train at my local station ,train, go to salisbury and fish on the nadder at churchfields good days get a platform ticket at salisbury and get the train back home i dont think me mum know s even to this day i think she probably thought i went down the river itchen at home oh well glad your sorted now colin

Not true I'm afraid Bones. Some riparian owners also make it quite clear that you're not even allowed to fish from your boat at all, permit or not.

John

problem is they may own the land but not the water fish from the other side or from the nearest point and cast into the water if you like he dosnt own the water dont go on his land but fish yes

The last time I fished the Basingstoke (about 10 days ago), when I was plagued by the little creatures, I was about 50 yards "downstream" of Ash Vale BR station. A chap on the towpath stopped for a chat, and when I mentioned the problem he said "Next time, try near Mytchett Lake. No crayfish there at the moment. They put down a whole heap of little lobster pots and hauled out one and a quarter tons of them."So, that's the where (Ash Vale, rather than Mytchett Lake) and the how (little lobster pots). As for a licence, you'd probably need to speak to the Basingstoke Canal Angling Society, and probably Surrey and Hampshire county councils.If it were up to me, I'd give you a medal rather than demand you had a permit.John
nice litttle earner there for someone catch the crays and sell em from the boat delicassy do it some one £2.00p a shot get in there and you can fish while your waiting to fill your trap
The last time I fished the Basingstoke (about 10 days ago), when I was plagued by the little creatures, I was about 50 yards "downstream" of Ash Vale BR station. A chap on the towpath stopped for a chat, and when I mentioned the problem he said "Next time, try near Mytchett Lake. No crayfish there at the moment. They put down a whole heap of little lobster pots and hauled out one and a quarter tons of them."So, that's the where (Ash Vale, rather than Mytchett Lake) and the how (little lobster pots). As for a licence, you'd probably need to speak to the Basingstoke Canal Angling Society, and probably Surrey and Hampshire county councils.If it were up to me, I'd give you a medal rather than demand you had a permit.John
ny1 know if they have got into the river itchen