Intercom

Serenity Malc

Featured Posts

Yello,

I'm looking to install an intercom for use between the tiller position and the bow. I hate the standard SHOUTING 40 feet up the boat to Me Julie ..... especially as voices travel so well across still water.

Does anyone have any reasonably inexpensive suggestions please. I see the nasty plastic case models from £15 on the net but I'd really like them to be weatherproof and last a few years. Even better if they'd run from 12V.

Cheers Malc. B)

We've got a brass handbell which I bought specifically for the purpose. Except that at the moment it's with himself so he can take it to the office in the morning to ring at 8.12 a.m.!

I keep a wireless bell push in the ticket drawer and if I need to alert OH the chime part goes bing bong in the main cabin.

I can't bring myself to use a walkie-talkie. They always strike me a irredeemably naff.tongue.gif

At locks simple handsignals are all that are required.

Edited by koukouvagia

Yello,

I'm looking to install an intercom for use between the tiller position and the bow. I hate the standard SHOUTING 40 feet up the boat to Me Julie ..... especially as voices travel so well across still water.

Does anyone have any reasonably inexpensive suggestions please. I see the nasty plastic case models from £15 on the net but I'd really like them to be weatherproof and last a few years. Even better if they'd run from 12V.

Cheers Malc. B)

We use this "walkie-talkie" set at under £50. My link One hangs on the front cabin doorway, and the other at the stern entrance. With a range up to 5 miles(?) we find them extremely useful. Not only for advance lock info and ordering a cuppa, but even as a free phone for shortish distances. Well worth having.

We have a telephone intercom between stern & saloon.

It came complete with two standard handsets with standard lead lengths. I can't recall whether it works off the 12v supply orit's own batteries. It serves the purpose for which it was installed.

However, it isn't too close to the normal steering position because we want to make sure it doesn't get affected by the rain. Consequently, although the lead to the handset is one of those springy/coil affairs, the lead or the plug/socket on the telephone has become damaged and needs some attention. Hopefully it only needs a new lead between telphone and handset.

Yello,

Cheers Malc. B)

Get a cruiser or semi trad and heaven forbid, sit together! :cheers:

Get a cruiser or semi trad and heaven forbid, sit together! :cheers:

A bit difficult when coming in to a mooring berth on a windy day...

or you need someone up front on a tight bridgehole on a bend...

or....

or.....

It's just another use for the excellent and much under-rated PMR 446 sets, IMHO - they are only about £20 for a pair

so not the end of the world if one gets dropped in at £10 each, and that's new !! They also can talk much further than

"the front of the boat", for e.g. difficult lock operations... wouldn't be without them...

Nick

I keep a wireless bell push in the ticket drawer and if I need to alert OH the chime part goes bing bong in the main cabin.

I can't bring myself to use a walkie-talkie. They always strike me a irredeemably naff.tongue.gif

At locks simple handsignals are all that are required.

We use the PMR radios on occasion, like when one of us is inside working (on computer). I do like the wireless door chime idea though, not thought of that one. They are very cheap and are always on, and a good way of attracting attention I think.

We've got telephones in the galley and just inside the rear hatch (trad stern). Been ok for 5 years. Also have PMR radios that we use to communicate with the shore party. The telephones run on AA batteries and were bough off ebay for about £15.

Yello,

Many thanks for all the suggestions guys and girlies ..... I hadn't thought of the handheld walkie talkie type because the hands free requirement when locking, but of course there's VOX or a small headset possibilities, with a belt or lapel (life jacket) clip.

The PMR 446 standard looks a good choice .... thanks for the suggestion but what would anyone recommend as a cheap pair of handsets please ? We both have mobiles so long distance isn't really a requirement.

There's even the possibility of a PMR 446 base station wall mounted by the hatch and just one handset for Me Julie ?

The useage is for small talk whilst cruising as well as locking / mooring instruction. Me Julie often likes to be up in the bow as it's so serene and quiet up there whilst cruising. Also nice to point things out when we have guests on board.

Cheers again .... Malc. B)

Yello,

Many thanks for all the suggestions guys and girlies ..... I hadn't thought of the handheld walkie talkie type because the hands free requirement when locking, but of course there's VOX or a small headset possibilities, with a belt or lapel (life jacket) clip.

The PMR 446 standard looks a good choice .... thanks for the suggestion but what would anyone recommend as a cheap pair of handsets please ? We both have mobiles so long distance isn't really a requirement.

There's even the possibility of a PMR 446 base station wall mounted by the hatch and just one handset for Me Julie ?

The useage is for small talk whilst cruising as well as locking / mooring instruction. Me Julie often likes to be up in the bow as it's so serene and quiet up there whilst cruising. Also nice to point things out when we have guests on board.

Cheers again .... Malc. B)

I haven't really gone into the wider market, as the ones that turn up regularly at Lidl / Aldi are generally pretty good, come with a 3 yr warranty and there's never a problem returning stuff if you need to...

In the past I avoided Binatone - for a top of the range item ( not necessary) there's the Intek MT-5050, and for current recommendations on the open market you could try Rocket Radio....

Nick

At least that is nice and low key, without really impinging on the "heritage" look and feel of "Owl".

Unlike the satellite dish that was seen adorning the top of its engine room a few days ago........

Clearly that doesn't count as "irredeemably naff"! :lol:

saw this on ebay its cheap and cheerful.

----Wireless Intercom & Doorbell best on e-bay £14.99 why pay £20-30 for the same item----

I am putting one in the shed. Dont need anything for the boat I have an old (rubber bulb) car horn (that gets her attention) I have stopped pressing the main horn as shmbo nearly felloff the first time I tried did it.

Yello,

The wireless intercomms I've seen rely on being plugged in to the same copper 240v ring main which they also transmit over. I don't have a 240v socket outside in the bow and to be honest I'd not want any external device to be plugged that way.

Love the anecdote ! :lol: I don't need to attract Me Julie's attention .... I just want to chat with her now and then.

Cheers Malc.

When we are on the move and she is busy below, if I need something, I give the engine a big "chuck-back".... that does the trick!

Works for me, too. We also use walkie-talkies on long river trips so the steerer can order tea/coffee/beer/toilet breaks etc....

We use our 'walkie-talkie' sets - "naff" or otherwise - all the time.

(Why are they considered "naff"?, it's just a communication device).

Found them to be invaluable especially at locks.

We bought a set of four Motorola ones relatively cheaply on eBay, on the basis that, as there's only two of us, if one was lost overboard we wouldn't mind too much.

However, when steering or operating locks etc. I'd certainly recommend sets with earphone/handsfree capability.

We use our 'walkie-talkie' sets - "naff" or otherwise - all the time.

(Why are they considered "naff"?, it's just a communication device).

Found them to be invaluable especially at locks.

We bought a set of four Motorola ones relatively cheaply on eBay, on the basis that, as there's only two of us, if one was lost overboard we wouldn't mind too much.

However, when steering or operating locks etc. I'd certainly recommend sets with earphone/handsfree capability.

I really can't understand that attitude...

When e.g. cellphones were new, they were naff and only used by ****s, but these aren't even new, having been around for decades, just a bit smaller these days...

In any case, they aren't a bit of vanity wear, and you aren't buying/using them to impress others - but to improve your efficiency - those that don't have / can't use them

are disadvantaged, and have to rely on sometimes ambiguous hand signals, where there is line of sight, (and they have their glasses on).

Its an inexpensive communication device that improves your efficiency and safety, and some might even say they should be mandatory. I expect a judge would mark the defendant down

in a crash that could have been avoided had they been properly equipped - you have to be at sea in even quite small vessels

Nick

We use this "walkie-talkie" set at under £50. My link One hangs on the front cabin doorway, and the other at the stern entrance. With a range up to 5 miles(?) we find them extremely useful. Not only for advance lock info and ordering a cuppa, but even as a free phone for shortish distances. Well worth having.

we have a pair very similar, found them invaluable when we were on the water last. as Lynn would quite often walk a couple of locks ahead if the approaching lock was open, she could then give me any info on oncoming boats and nextt lock status. Really handy on the boat too, if Lynn's in the boat I can order tea and communicate without shouting.

Also when we paired up with my brother for a few weeks cruise we had one on each boat which also proved useful on many occasions as well as general chat whilst cruising. The radios are a few years old now but I recently charged them up and they're still working fine so looking forward to using them again.

• 2 weeks later...