lighting up of the Pontcysyllte Aqueduc

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

this looks very nice but who paid for it and doe's anyone travel at night to see this wonder. C&RT launch

My personal opinion is that it is a complete waste of time and money. There are other things you could do to celebrate the launch event than lighting up the middle of an aqueduct.

I think it is called "marketing " and makes people aware of the new charity that is going to need money from non boaters to survive

yes maybe so but how do people see it? having been over that aqueduct as far as i know there is no access to it from below.

It's all corporate claptrap. There will be more of it, much more.

I like the little bit below it, with Brian Blesshim pictured in a life preserver, opening(?) a lock. The supposed 'quote' is more typical 'on-line' consultant claptrap (really, all the best people volunteer with cart?? :unsure: ), and as for Brian having actually said that, I doubt it.

Cynical, moi? :huh:

yes maybe so but how do people see it? having been over that aqueduct as far as i know there is no access to it from below.

If there is no access below, then you obviously haven't looked properly. How do players get to the sports field, for example?

And the idea wasn't for it be seen from below, but from further along the valley, from where it looked quite spectacular.

As the Aqueduct is a world heritage site, the lighting may have had funding that was not available for other projects. However, I have very mixed impressions of CRT.

The canals seem to operate as ever, holding together (just) and remaining open, but there has also been a lot of "grandstanding". Initial impressions count, and if the initial impression is boastful then that image may be difficult to get rid of. This was the time for a smooth, almost unnoticed transition, not for extravagance, whoever was footing the bill.

• Greenie 1

As the Aqueduct is a world heritage site, the lighting may have had funding that was not available for other projects. However, I have very mixed impressions of CRT.

The canals seem to operate as ever, holding together (just) and remaining open, but there has also been a lot of "grandstanding". Initial impressions count, and if the initial impression is boastful then that image may be difficult to get rid of. This was the time for a smooth, almost unnoticed transition, not for extravagance, whoever was footing the bill.

Words of wisdom. Greenie

I must be missing something!!! We have the largest ever transition from public Body to a Charity. Now the idea of becoming a charity is to encourage the public to donate towards the funding of the system. How are the public supposed to become aware of this new charity that has been charged with looking after on of the UK's largest heritage sites? Do you really think that keeping it a secret is going to encourage people to donate?

• Greenie 2

Agree 100%

I think from the negative comments that the launch events have attracted all over the Internet, (and which hardly seem to have included the public, in many cases), much of this will be seen as an own goal, (and waste).

I don't wish to join the "I told you so set", and have tried to stay positive on the whole topic of the transition, but am not encouraged by what I'm seeing at the moment.

This includes the admission that the "chuggers" are actually expected to cost more money than they raise in the initial years. When the decisions are coming from those at the top that have transitioned from BW, and people are already quick to point out get large salaries and bonuses, that really doesn't sit very comfortably at the start up of the new organisation, does it ?

I see other worrying signs too, like the clumsy censorship of comments they appear not to like on Facebook, (citing completely spurious and unbelievable reasons for thread removal). Whilst I would like to think this is down to the inexperience of those manning the site on behalf of BW and now CaRT, one does wonder if it is rather worse than that.

Things could be going better, I'm afraid.

I must be missing something!!! We have the largest ever transition from public Body to a Charity. Now the idea of becoming a charity is to encourage the public to donate towards the funding of the system. How are the public supposed to become aware of this new charity that has been charged with looking after on of the UK's largest heritage sites? Do you really think that keeping it a secret is going to encourage people to donate?

John,

I actually have less of an issue with something like the initial topic of this thread - the aqueduct illumination. I agree we need to raise public awareness, and if some dramatic images make the headlines, that can only be good.

But I do get the impression that most of the launch events have been the old boys network, and the public, (and CaRT's major customer, us boaters), got very little of a look in.

Anything that is seen as a big spend, achieving little, whilst Hales and Evans & Co continue to get paid what they do is likely to attract negative comment from boat owners, I fear. You only have to look at the "I'm already paying £x,xxx for my licence and moorings - I'm not going to be stung for any more" comments to realise that not every boater is happily going to dip deeper into their pockets and contribute any voluntary money.

Possibly though I'm feeling a bit ratty, because I was approached about, but ultimately turned down fo,r a voluntary role on the soon to be formed CRT navigation working group. Now this is exactly the kind of area I feel I could really contribute, and was very keen to do it. However I really did get the feel from going through this process that they are scared of bringing new independent (and of course free) resource into these arenas, for fear of us trying to shake things up too much to avoid mistakes along the lines of many that have been made in the past. When I see proper boaters and canal enthusiasts actually being allowed to make active participation in the brand new world, and not just being approached for cash support, I may feel differently.

John,

I actually have less of an issue with something like the initial topic of this thread - the aqueduct illumination. I agree we need to raise public awareness, and if some dramatic images make the headlines, that can only be good.

But I do get the impression that most of the launch events have been the old boys network, and the public, (and CaRT's major customer, us boaters), got very little of a look in.

Anything that is seen as a big spend, achieving little, whilst Hales and Evans & Co continue to get paid what they do is likely to attract negative comment from boat owners, I fear. You only have to look at the "I'm already paying £x,xxx for my licence and moorings - I'm not going to be stung for any more" comments to realise that not every boater is happily going to dip deeper into their pockets and contribute any voluntary money.

Possibly though I'm feeling a bit ratty, because I was approached about, but ultimately turned down fo,r a voluntary role on the soon to be formed CRT navigation working group. Now this is exactly the kind of area I feel I could really contribute, and was very keen to do it. However I really did get the feel from going through this process that they are scared of bringing new independent (and of course free) resource into these arenas, for fear of us trying to shake things up too much to avoid mistakes along the lines of many that have been made in the past. When I see proper boaters and canal enthusiasts actually being allowed to make active participation in the brand new world, and not just being approached for cash support, I may feel differently.

Alan I had read your post on facebook and did wonder if maybe you were a bit pissed off.

I can understand boaters that say "I pay enough" and that do not see why they should pay any more, it is a personal choice. The Friends of CaRT" is mainly aimed at non boaters who use the system for walking, fishing, cycling etc. 30,000 boaters contributing £36 a year is hardly going to save the waterways.

CaRT is on a big learning curve and yes they will make mistakes but hopefully they will learn from those mistakes.

Yesterday I left Leeds to go down the River Aire. At the lock to leave Leeds were 2 volunteers (1 was a boater) this made life so much easier as the lock landing on the river to go back and close the gates is a real pain. At Fishpond Lock, CaRT employees were carrying out maintenance and from speaking to them they were very happy with the new CaRT.

I am not going to change my opinion based on a facebook page. Yes Hales, Evans and Co. do earn a good salary but I am prepared to give them a chance to move the waterways into a new future.

Yes I know I am in the minority!!!!

• Greenie 2

Actually I think it looks stunning and should be retained, best picture on the CRT page, but when you scroll down you come to a picture which looks like a Gorilla on a Zimmer frame, - Oh its Brian Blessed!!

Edited by Laurence Hogg

For some reason this reminds me of: "But sir, what about the five thousand pounds that Parliament voted you only last week to drink yourself to death with?"

C&RT would most likely have had to raise additional funding for events like this, it doesn't just come out of a charity's main funds, as you would be unlikely get that sort of thing past the auditors at the end of the year.

Chances are they have fundraised for that separately, explaining in the funding bid the nature of what the money would be spent on, and the funder agreed to this before handing over the dosh. Only on occasion, and usually in small doses, does a funder give unrestricted funds to a charity that can be spent on things like this. Unrestricted funds more often than not get put towards core costs.

In other words the "waste of money" argument isn't really an argument. They would have selected the sort of funder that likes to pay for events, public attractions and heritage showcasing activity, quite possibly HLF or a LOCOG fund, or one of a number of small trusts and foundations, and would have targeted the bid to that funder's criteria. That money could not have been spent on anything else as contractually they would be obliged to spend it in the way the funder has agreed.

Personally I think the aqueduct looked perfectly grand enough au naturel, and I'm not a fan of light pollution especially in areas as dominated by nature as the Pontcysyllte area. But that's a matter of personal taste, not who should spend which money on what project.

Does look good

1351.jpg

i do hope that's temporary and such a corny and low taste choice of colours to light the aqueduct is over now.

I would hate to think that this might be permanent.

I am a fan of lighting monuments where they are in an urban environment but then the colour should be sympathetic to the object and the surroundings.

Well if it's brought the aquaduct to the notice of some thousands of people then it is probably a start to publicising the canals as attractions, which is the start of bringing more paying punters in.

I was tempted to think along the lines of an O Winston Link railway picture but most narrow boats are not quite as impressive as a Union Pacific class loco and train.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Winston_Link

On a much smaller scale they have Ben lighting up Newbold Tunnel near Rugby in a similar way for a while now.

I have never seen Ben actually on the case when we have passed through though - they just seem to be left switched on........

Perhaps Ben needs to go and replace some of the many failed bulbs, as it is slowly getting less and less illuminated over time!