Collision Repair

Featured Posts

There was a post not that long ago about similar damage which involved the damaged area being cut out and a new piece being welded in.

Found some of it..

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=46598&view=findpost&p=863949

P1050571.jpg

hi,

That repair was carried out by P & Whatsit marine at Croxley. tricky job - £2000 Plus seems to spring to mind.

It's a no Claim Discount not a NO Blame one - until your insurance company recovers all the money from the other insurers it will affect your NCB.

Bearing in mind the distortion to your boat I would get it checked carefully.

ATB

Leo

amazingly yes. A shiny bog standard Narrowboat.

Yes - it looks a bit like you have been hit by one of those old 'ice breakers',

good luck with getting it sorted and if you can bear it keep us posted as though whilst it might be a bit of a difficult time information about stuff like this is good for future reference should the same happen to anybody else....

How dreadful for this to happen. The most important thing is of course that no one was hurt.

I sincerely hope that nothing irreplaceable has been damaged inside.

It does sound as though some movement or distortion to the structure in the area is likely to have happened so when it is inspected be certain to mention the fact the door does not open as easily as it used to. It is going to need a thorough examination to ensure that any stresses to the main structure and any load bearing points is assessed and rectified where needed.

What a horrible shock for you. Do you know why they were on the wrong side?

I also reported it to the EA as the upstream boat was on the wrong side of the river, my side, and I consider the whole event to have been utterly avoidable.

How was it that nobody took evasive action and you actually collided? Was it on a bend for example and neither of you saw each other until too late?

Anyway, as well as being on the wrong side of the river, since you were navigating downstream, it sounds like more oness would fall on the boat travelling upstream to initiate the evasive action. You might want to mention this too if they don't accept liability.

Edited by blackrose

1341240195[/url]' post='899152']

Yes - it looks a bit like you have been hit by one of those old 'ice breakers',

good luck with getting it sorted and if you can bear it keep us posted as though whilst it might be a bit of a difficult time information about stuff like this is good for future reference should the same happen to anybody else....

Thanks. My insurance company have been good so far. As the incident happened on the Thames I have notified them too. Witness sstatements are being collected and I have written to the insurance company to ask them for a written list of things I need to do a) to create a paper trail and B) so I know what to do. I have also asked about appointing a surveyor as II have to get a man in to open the gas locker now.mad.gif

1341256038[/url]' post='899249']

How was it that nobody took evasive action and you actually collided? Was it on a bend for example and neither of you saw each other until too late?

Anyway, as well as being on the wrong side of the river, since you were navigating downstream, it sounds like more oness would fall on the boat travelling upstream to take the evasive action. You might want to mention this too if they don't accept liability.

it was on a corner and I was astounded to see their boat on my side of the river. The river was plenty wide enough for the both of us!

Edited by Bones

Shit happens Mike...

1341256363[/url]' post='899254']

The thing that seems odd is that he seems to have hit your starboard side. Does this mean he was trying to return to his side of the river?

to me it looked like it was going to be a head on collision. I have no idea what the other boat was trying to do at all.

The thing that seems odd is that he seems to have hit your starboard side. Does this mean he was trying to return to his side of the river?

Oh hang on..

we have a gathering of amateur MAIB investigators on the job...

Edited by MJG

to me it looked like it was going to be a head on collision. I have no idea what the other boat was trying to do at all.

It must have been eye-closingly terrifying!

I only mention it because he just might claim that he was aiming to return to his own side of the river, and that you positioned your boat in his way. Ridiculous I know, but his insurer might even suggest (off the record of course) that he makes such a claim in order to try and transfer some blame to yourself. Such practice is, I believe, common in the case of road traffic accidents. It might be a good idea to play "Devil's advocate" with yourself and practice some responses to possible counter-claims.

I only mention it because he just might claim that he was aiming to return to his own side of the river, and that you positioned your boat in his way. Ridiculous I know, but his insurer might even suggest (off the record of course) that he makes such a claim in order to try and transfer some blame to yourself. Such practice is, I believe, common in the case of road traffic accidents. It might be a good idea to play "Devil's advocate" with yourself and practice some responses to possible counter-claims.

There are witnesses though, to the actual incident...

There are witnesses though, to the actual incident...

I'm not doubting that, and I'm not doubting that Bones was totally the innocent party.

What I am doubting, however, is the integrity of the other party's insurer. I know how hard some of them will wriggle to try and avoid paying out.

I'm not doubting that, and I'm not doubting that Bones was totally the innocent party.

What I am doubting, however, is the integrity of the other party's insurer. I know how hard some of them will wriggle to try and avoid paying out.

Perhaps then something better posted via. PM rather than in a public forum....so as not to plant any suggestions...on the part of the other party...so to speak...

1341256841[/url]' post='899259']

Any arguemnt will be an insurance argument. My blog, nor the forum, nor anywhere else is appropriate for it. People can justify themselves until they are blue in the face. I know what I saw, my crew (who had a good view of the bow) knows what he saw and the 4 other witness' know what they saw. We will all report, as will, no doubt, the other boat what they saw. The most important thing for this thread is ensuring that the works done on the boat are done well. I would like my boat and my stuff fixed as quickly as possible and being a believer in hope I hope that it will go well, quickly, smoothly and without too much stress. I am also a pessimistic optimist with realistic tendencies... but for now hope prevails.

1341256841[/url]' post='899259']

it was!

Edited by Bones

That's a mortifyingly big dent Bones, must have been a horrendous impact. As the others have said, the hull is clearly distorted as the front doors are sticking and the gas locker won't open. This may self-correct once the dent is chopped out though.

Oxford Cruisers at Eynsham seem to have a good degree of expertise judging by the work I've seen going on in their yard... http://www.oxfordcru...rd/Welcome.html

May I ask where on the Thames this happened? I'm intrigued and guessing it must have been in the horrid tightly twisty bits of the upper Thames up towards Lechlade.

(Edit to change Evesham into Eynsham!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

1341258940[/url]' post='899279']

That's a mortifyingly big dent Bones, must have been a horrendous impact. As the others have said, the hull is clearly distorted as the front doors are sticking and the gas locker won't open. This may self-correct once the dent is chopped out though.

Oxford Cruisers at Eynsham seem to have a good degree of expertise judging by the work I've seen going on in their yard... http://www.oxfordcru...rd/Welcome.html

May I ask where on the Thames this happened? I'm intrigued and guessing it must have been in the horrid tightly twisty bits of the upper Thames up towards Lechlade.

(Edit to change Evesham into Eynsham!)

Between bablock Hyth and Pinkhill lock. sad.gif Not as narrow and twisty there as it is on the upper Thames!

I too have heard great things about Eynsham. They are already on my list of people to visit.

Oh hang on..

we have a gathering of amateur MAIB investigators on the job...

Or could it be that some people on the forum are simply interested to know how such an accident happens?

Bones didn't have to explain how the accident occured if she wasn't comfortable doing so.

What's your problem with us asking exactly?

Or could it be that some people on the forum are simply interested to know how such an accident happens?

Yes well I certainly am. Understanding how seemingly impossibly big collisions occur is essential in figuring out how to avoid the same accident oneself.

OTOH any collison is scary and troubling in my experience. A collision big enough to cause damage like that must have been terrifying and I fully understand (I hope) why Bones does not want to le-live it and describe it in intimate detail.

I just dont think it is fair as there are two sides to every story and the other person is not, to my knowledge on the forum. Also i find it is easy for these things to turn into a shouting match between parties that were not there.

I consider incidents such as these to be avoidable and certainly limited by navigating on the correct side of the river, especially on corners.

Once everything is sorted out and the insurance companies have made up their mind about the events I will let people know what the outcome is.

I am disappointed at the damage, but someone could have been very seriously hurt indeed. I was lucky my dog was not on board and I was lucky my crew member was not at the cooker..which is what they were about to do. I was also lucky that no one was on the bow. They would have been hurt and quite possibly fallen overboard.

Edited by Bones

1341260299[/url]' post='899299']

OTOH any collison is scary and troubling in my experience. A collision big enough to cause damage like that must have been terrifying and I fully understand (I hope) why Bones does not want to le-live it and describe it in intimate detail.

Yes

What's your problem with us asking exactly?

Enough to know if we ever have a bump or a real serious problem with our boat we won;t post it here...

Edited by MJG