Collision Repair

Featured Posts

On Saturday a boat navigating upstream on my side of the river as I navigated down stream hit my bow and put a big dent in it.

Damage inside aside I was wondering whether anyone has had a repair like this done to their boat and if so - what did it entail? The dent goes into the gas locker which seems harder to open and strangely my front doors don't shut so well.

bow.jpg

Edited by Bones

On Saturday a boat navigating upstream on my side of the river as I navigated down stream hit my bow and put a big dent in it.

Damage inside aside I was wondering whether anyone has had a repair like this done to their boat and if so - what did it entail? The dent goes into the gas locker.

bow.jpg

There was a post not that long ago about similar damage which involved the damaged area being cut out and a new piece being welded in.

Found some of it..

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=46598&view=findpost&p=863949

P1050571.jpg

Edited by MJG

There was a post not that long ago about similar damage which involved the damaged area being cut out and a new piece being welded in.

Found some of it..

http://www.canalworl...ndpost&p=863949

Thanks. Can anyone recommend anyone around the Oxford area who is good at this sort of repair?

The repairer needs to be fairly close to Oxford

Ouch! The best place for this kind of repair would be Steve Priest (a member of this forum) or one of his associates at Brinklow Boat Services, Stretton under Fosse (Brinklow) on the northern section of the Oxford Canal - a few years back I saw a similar dent in the bows of the FR6 powered tug, Hector, and the insurance repair carried out by Brinklow Boat Services was superb.

http://www.brinklowboatservices.com/

Possibly your insurance company will be able to make a recommendation - in fact many insurers would insist on it.

If there is any possibility that the doors do not open/close properly as a result of the incident, then it would seem appropriate to have a very detailed examination by a surveyor too.

Possibly your insurance company will be able to make a recommendation - in fact many insurers would insist on it.

If there is any possibility that the doors do not open/close properly as a result of the incident, then it would seem appropriate to have a very detailed examination by a surveyor too.

I don't think they can, can they? - they can recommend but not insist you use a particular one and they may charge an additional excess if you choose your own (like motor insurers) but anyway it will be claim on the other boats policy surely, given they were on the wrong side of the road so if it was me I would certainly be choosing may own repairer....

That is a good point. They insisted on a surveyor coming along last time someone banged into the side of me and dented the hull.

However, they have asked me to get quotes for the repair damage to the hull and everything else. Which I assume is a first stage step.

Allan's advice is absolutely correct. If you are experiencing other door closing/hatch closing difficulties then it is very possible that there is some distortion to the hull at the bow and front cockpit area. The picture shows that that was one hell of a clout to do that amount of damage in what is quite a strong area of the shell. You must get your insurance involved (or an independent surveyor)as I would not be at all surprised if there is more to this damage than meets the eye, if it were investigated properly.

Roger

Allan's advice is absolutely correct. If you are experiencing other door closing/hatch closing difficulties then it is very possible that there is some distortion to the hull at the bow and front cockpit area. The picture shows that that was one hell of a clout to do that amount of damage in what is quite a strong area of the shell. You must get your insurance involved (or an independent surveyor)as I would not be at all surprised if there is more to this damage than meets the eye, if it were investigated properly.

Roger

It was a phenomenal thwack. My boat hasn't veered like it did since it nearly sank in a lock on the Thames.

The insurance company are involved but the independent surveyor is a good idea too. Thanks!

Edited by Bones

It was a phenomenal thwack. My boat hasn't veered like it did since it nearly sank in a lock on the Thames.

The insurance company are involved but the independent surveyor is a good idea too. Thanks!

txt sent

Chris-B

Roger

Whilst the independent surveyor is clearly good advice if there is the risk of further damage, but by claiming off your own insurance when the incident is not your fault why involve your own company beyond informing them. Surely this just prejudices your claims history with them.

If the independent survey highlights something as major as a distorted shell then this is something to claim for from the other party isn't it?

ed . to add the caveat - all this of course assumes the other party has exchanged details and they are actually insured (they of course should be but nothing to say they defo. will be)

Edited by MJG

I am too stupid to understand your reply.:blink:

My insurance company are involved, but I will definitely be claiming off the other boats insurance for the whole lot. How can informing them prejudice my claims history?

- the other party came to find me yesterday whereupon I handed them a letter saying I held them responsible and liable for all insured and uninsured loses. They gave me their details and their insurance company details.

Edited by Bones

I am too stupid to understand your reply.:blink:

My insurance company are involved, but I will definitely be claiming off the other boats insurance for the whole lot. How can informing them prejudice my claims history?

No that's fine that is exactly what I am saying, you should inform them...it will only prejudice your claims history with your own company if you actually claim from them - informing them of a no fault accident should not.

Hard to tell exactly from your picture, but to me that damage looks significantly worse than the one in the thread to which MJG has provided a link, (and which I have actually inspected close to).

I suspect that by no means everybody on the cut who classes themselves as "welder" would be equal to doing a good repair that is fairly invisible afterwards, (notwithstanding any other damage the shell may have suffered). I think it needs someone with a proven track record of doing a good job on that kind of thing. How successful you will be near Oxford, I'm not sure - hopefully Chris-B has made you a sensible suggestion in that txt ?

- the other party came to find me yesterday whereupon I handed them a letter saying I held them responsible and liable for all insured and uninsured loses. They gave me their details and their insurance company details.

Excellent - independent witnesses to the incident would be good too, but that may be stretching things a bit.

Hard to tell exactly from your picture, but to me that damage looks significantly worse than the one in the thread to which MJG has provided a link, (and which I have actually inspected close to).

I suspect that by no means everybody on the cut who classes themselves as "welder" would be equal to doing a good repair that is fairly invisible afterwards, (notwithstanding any other damage the shell may have suffered). I think it needs someone with a proven track record of doing a good job on that kind of thing. How successful you will be near Oxford, I'm not sure - hopefully Chris-B has made you a sensible suggestion in that txt ?

Yes, the damage to my boat does look worse - the rubbing strake thing is caved in MUCH more than that one. I might even measure it when I examine it, and my phone, later. It would be better to travel and get a good job than not travel and regret it.

Excellent - independent witnesses to the incident would be good too, but that may be stretching things a bit.

Actually, there are. I had a crew member on board and the boat behind me can confirm that I was very much on the correct side of the river and the people on their bow saw my boat on impact. I have 5 statements plus my own.

• Greenie 1

Actually, there are. I had a crew member on board and the boat behind me can confirm that I was very much on the correct side of the river and the people on their bow saw my boat on impact. I have 5 statements plus my own.

:cheers:

Then you should be fine....it all will help.

Sorry to teach granny to suck eggs but just make sure you have current up to date contact details for all of them - job should be a gud un...

I could bore you with a story about why it's important to this but it's non boaty - suffice to say just gather up their details.

No that's fine that is exactly what I am saying, you should inform them...it will only prejudice your claims history with your own company if you actually claim from them - informing them of a no fault accident should not.

If it was a total no-fault incident on Bones' behalf then everything should be eventually claimable from the other party's insurance but it will be your insurance company that will handle it all. As both boats were moving at the time then there is always the possibility that the other party will claim contributory negligence from Bones at the last minute but that is just one of those things that she will have to fight if it occurs. You always should inform your insurance if it involves as much damage as this anyway IMO.

When Albion was hit when we were tied up, engine off, in a Thames lock we sustained very minor damage compared to that shown in Bones' picture but we still put it completely in the hands of our insurers. If, and it sounds quite likely, the damage has spread further back than just the bow then it is going to be a very expensive repair so just leave it to the experts IMO.

Roger

If it was a total no-fault incident on Bones' behalf then everything should be eventually claimable from the other party's insurance but it will be your insurance company that will handle it all. As both boats were moving at the time then there is always the possibility that the other party will claim contributory negligence from Bones at the last minute but that is just one of those things that she will have to fight if it occurs. You always should inform your insurance if it involves as much damage as this anyway IMO.

When Albion was hit when we were tied up, engine off, in a Thames lock we sustained very minor damage compared to that shown in Bones' picture but we still put it completely in the hands of our insurers. If, and it sounds quite likely, the damage has spread further back than just the bow then it is going to be a very expensive repair so just leave it to the experts IMO.

Roger

Totally agree and have not actually said any different. Any way all this is matterless now as Bones has clarified what she is doing which sounds eminently sensible course of action to me.

Roger

Good advice, thank you. I was keen for the insurers to do the leg work so I notified them straight away. There is a lot of damage inside too. :(

I also reported it to the EA as the upstream boat was on the wrong side of the river, my side, and I consider the whole event to have been utterly avoidable.

Edited by Bones

Good advice, thank you. I was keen for the insurers to do the leg work so I notified them straight away. There is a lot of damage inside too. :(

I also reported it to the EA as the upstream boat was on the wrong side of the river, my side, and I consider the whole event to have been utterly avoidable.

Out of curiosity what sort of boat was it?? just a bog std. NB??

Out of curiosity what sort of boat was it?? just a bog std. NB??

amazingly yes. A shiny bog standard Narrowboat.

Ouch! The best place for this kind of repair would be Steve Priest (a member of this forum) or one of his associates at Brinklow Boat Services, Stretton under Fosse (Brinklow) on the northern section of the Oxford Canal - a few years back I saw a similar dent in the bows of the FR6 powered tug, Hector, and the insurance repair carried out by Brinklow Boat Services was superb.

http://www.brinklowboatservices.com/

4 days away at Bones' pace... which is doable.

txt sent

Chris-B

Thanks Chris!