anchor

Rambling

Featured Posts

Ok like Bizz I may be talking nonsense - But........... if you have far too much warp n chain & run into difficulties on a shallow river you may be in trouble by the time the anchor bites ?

Better to adjust lengths based on where you are traveling surely ? We noticed when we took dads NB (Ex Graham Capelin who widely cruised the area) that the anchor chain had couplings in it, so it could be shortened for the non tidal/tidal stretches of the Thames.

Luckily we didnt have to deploy but had the (Presumabley) correct length if we had needed to - It was a simple job to add / remove the chain depending on where we were starting from (Although I still think in retrospect that the anchor was too small for the trip from Limehouse to Brentford)

Having had a good chat with Neil from Torksey in the pub at foxton , we have overkill on anchorage on the tidal trent (Most just run aground & phone for recovery he said !!!)

Ok like Bizz I may be talking nonsense - But........... if you have far too much warp n chain & run into difficulties on a shallow river you may be in trouble by the time the anchor bites ?

Better to adjust lengths based on where you are traveling surely ? We noticed when we took dads NB (Ex Graham Capelin who widely cruised the area) that the anchor chain had couplings in it, so it could be shortened for the non tidal/tidal stretches of the Thames.

Luckily we didnt have to deploy but had the (Presumabley) correct length if we had needed to - It was a simple job to add / remove the chain depending on where we were starting from (Although I still think in retrospect that the anchor was too small for the trip from Limehouse to Brentford)

Having had a good chat with Neil from Torksey in the pub at foxton , we have overkill on anchorage on the tidal trent (Most just run aground & phone for recovery he said !!!)

If the anchor is lowered hand over hand it is then easy to stop when the desired amount of rope-chain is out.

Do the job properly, who knows where your going to go next year!

However anything is better than nothing :cheers: there are plenty of people with no anchor at all!!!

This forum is very good at spending other people's money.

Have you seen the price of 10m of 10mm chain and 30m of 16mm rope? not to mention the cost of the anchor. £300 worth of safety equipment might be nice to have lying around just in case but let's get real.

How about anchor and chain hire (Oxford, Reading and Brentford depots)?

If you are single handing,and you are anchored from the bow, how do you get off? You've fixed the engine, now what?

Motor SLOWLY forward and as the rope comes past you, pick it up and pull it in, one hand to steer and one hand to pull the rope. (Commonly done on lumpy water boats without a winch - just take a wide arc and dont let the rope get around your prop)

Alternatively use an "Alderney Ring" and the engine does all the hard work.

http://www.planetseafishing.com/video/watch-alderney-ring-anchor-retrieval/

http://www.nautequipe.co.uk/anchor-retrieval-kits---alderney-ring-84-c.asp

Alternatively - Engine running - go up to the pointy end and haul in the rope (in effect bow-hauling) until the anchor breaks free, run back and commence steering.

A bit more info about the Alderney Ring - I always found these simple and effective when we had sea-fishing boats.

"On my boat the anchor rope has been run along the inside of the rails and through the bow roller – this allows me to anchor and retrieve without the need to climb round the front, however it is vital that the point of pressure is always on the BOW, it must never be midships or on the stern - or you run the very real risk of sinking if the anchor snags in a strong tide".

And - the article in full :

http://www.totallyawesomefishing.com/boats/articles/alderney-ring/

You dont need a bow roller - as you can see on thre videos the anchor rope is tied off at the front and 'runs' along side your boat.

Alderney Rings on ebay £9.99

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/UK-YACHT-RIGGING-AND-SUPPLIES-LTD/ANCHOR-RETRIEVAL-KITS-/_i.html?_fsub=6504961

Edit to add more stuff.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Have the Anchor tied off in the bow, run the rope back along the roof to the stern,(ensuring it wil be 'free flowing' and not get caught up on mushrooms, poles etc) have the anchor, excess rope and chain in a bucket / plastic tote box tucked away at the stern.

If 'disaster' happens you have immediate access to the anchor and can still try to restart your engine, try and steer etc whilst deploying the anchor.

The boat will end up being anchored 'correctly' with the pointy end into the flow.

Yes you might have too-much rope out as you cannot judge your depth (as you have had to tie it off in advance) but better too much than not enough.

that's brilliant thank you. Makes total sense. Now to find a kit that is all nicely made up and secured and ready for me.

Have you seen the price of 10m of 10mm chain and 30m of 16mm rope? not to mention the cost of the anchor. £300 worth of safety equipment might be nice to have lying around just in case but let's get real.

If you can afford a boat you surely can afford the saftey equipment needed to save you and your familys lifes...especially on the Thames!!

If you can afford a boat you surely can afford the saftey equipment needed to save you and your familys lifes...especially on the Thames!!

I think Chris's point (He's quite capable of speaking for himself if I'm wrong) was that the suggested lengths might be rather OTT for the non-tidal Thames.

No point spending money if you don't need to, not all boaters have spare cash, nor indeed spare space for excessive lengths of chain & rope.

Tim

I think Chris's point (He's quite capable of speaking for himself if I'm wrong) was that the suggested lengths might be rather OTT for the non-tidal Thames.

No point spending money if you don't need to, not all boaters have spare cash, nor indeed spare space for excessive lengths of chain & rope.

I agree, unlike lumpy water boating, on the Thames you can moor up at short notice. Also info on conditions is available:

http://riverconditions.environment-agency.gov.uk/

Maybe the OP could ask on the Thames forum at ybw.com, maybe the current gear is fine for most summer conditions.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Tim

Exactly so. If you're going to boat extensively on those kinds of waters then by all means spend some money but for the occasional passage?

Have you read the OP?

.....Like I said...Im sure the original poster will make the appropriate decision will make his own mind up....

Tis upto the skipper to make his and his crew's responsibilty :cheers:

£300 spent on safety equipment is not real?

Thank heavens there aren't more realists around then.

If a boat or its crew is not worth taking precautions that may involve spending £300 on safety equipment, it should be a cm'er, say on on the K&A, and thus out of harms way.

• Greenie 1

Exactly so. If you're going to boat extensively on those kinds of waters then by all means spend some money but for the occasional passage?

Have you read the OP?

Yep I sure did :rolleyes:

£300 spent on safety equipment is not real?

Thank heavens there aren't more realists around then.

If a boat or its crew is not worth taking precautions that may involve spending £300 on safety equipment, it should be a cm'er, say on on the K&A, and thus out of harms way.

Greenie given

I find the fact that nobody has mentioned the need for a spare anchor, almost bordering on the irresponsible. And no mention of the correct signaling that needs to be displayed when you are at anchor.

Shocking...

Comments like that will get you blackballed! :rolleyes::cheers:

Iain

Really guys......... :unsure:

The Thames ain't that scarey.

It's no wonder that so many NB's are scared to death of going on the 'The Big River'

I wonder what a lot of Narrowboaters would think if the sat at Gt Yarmouth watching the hires going down from the town moorings with the tide and then turning upstream and crossing Breydon water with nothing more than a lump of concrete on the end of a rope to stop them.

On the upper reaches of the Berkshire and Oxon Thames a concrete block on the centreline refixed to the bow will make a fine drag anchor -even disposable in emergency. On the tidal and on to the esturine Thames a better formed anchor with chain and rode appropriately scaled to the expected water depth is only part of the emergency preparedness necessary.

Really guys......... :unsure:

The Thames ain't that scarey.

It's no wonder that so many NB's are scared to death of going on the 'The Big River'

Any river can be dangerous when the level is up and there are some rivers where the level can come up by a few feet within a few hours, Try the Nene for that.

Moving water needs to be treated with respect.

As for not being that scarey take a look at this:

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=37551

I belive that was on Yellow boards it only takes one mistake..................

I'm not saying moving water shouldn't be treated with respect.

But there is a lot of scaremongering that goes on in the NB fraternity about rivers.

Each river is different. The Thames is probably one of the best managed rivers in the country.

Local advice is available and should be taken. If you're in any doubt........ stop and wait for conditions to improve.

BTW - An anchor wasn't much help in this situation

Any river can be dangerous when the level is up and there are some rivers where the level can come up by a few feet within a few hours, Try the Nene for that.

Moving water needs to be treated with respect.

As for not being that scarey take a look at this:

http://www.henleystandard.co.uk/news/news.php?id=37551

I belive that was on Yellow boards it only takes one mistake..................

I came through there downstream on yellow boards yesterday, I'd heard a couple of days before that a boat had been stuck across the bridge. It's new territory for me, I can see how someone with a biggish boat and maybe not a lot of experience could get it wrong but it shouldn't be hard for someone with a bit of experience.

Talking to one of the lock keepers about river levels, they said that because there was so much going on in that part of the river at the moment they were reluctant to put up red boards, they could manage the flow (up to a point) with yellow boards but it meant the excess water was hanging around for longer. A day or two with red boards & they could get rid of it much more quickly.

Tim