Engine problem

Featured Posts

Hi all I have a 55ft Liverpool narrowboat fitted with an lombardine engine and a Chinese gearbox which I need to find out some info about.

Does anyone know if Liverpool boats did a lombardine setup with a Chinese gearbox the boat was built in 1995.

The problem I'm haveing is the engine will rev up fine in out of gear but put it in gear and it will only rev up to 1500rpm and that's it I have checked all the simple things like if I had anything wrapped around the prop and that's fine also checked the gearbox oil but as I have no info on the box I didn't know what oil to put in it

Any help would be greatful :)

Hi all I have a 55ft Liverpool narrowboat fitted with an lombardine engine and a Chinese gearbox which I need to find out some info about.

Does anyone know if Liverpool boats did a lombardine setup with a Chinese gearbox the boat was built in 1995.

The problem I'm haveing is the engine will rev up fine in out of gear but put it in gear and it will only rev up to 1500rpm and that's it I have checked all the simple things like if I had anything wrapped around the prop and that's fine also checked the gearbox oil but as I have no info on the box I didn't know what oil to put in it

Gearboxes usually use the same oil as the engine,however the reason for the engine struggling to reach 1500rpm might be the size of prop that as been fitted.Have you had the boat for a while and as it ever revved higher than this in the past.Others will be along shortly with more info.

Back to basics. Assume the engine, gearbox prop set up is ok.

Problem = Engine runs fine under no load but cannot develop power when under load

Think - check for fuel starvation.

1. Is the fuel tap/valve fully open at the tank outlet?

(I know of a fitter who shall be nameless who spent a day on a fault when the tap needed opening.

2 Change the fuel filters.

3 If new filter fitted are they genuine? (Had this same problem with a truck years ago when what looked genuine was a pirate part)

4 If new filters are genuine go back to 1

Gearboxes usually use the same oil as the engine.........

That's a bit to general I would say!

Whilst a lot do, equally there are quite a few makes that do not, and, unless you know what you have, I don't think I'd put engine oil in the gearbox until I knew that was correct.

Some well known makes definitely use ATF fluid, not engine oil, (e.g Hurth boxes), but without knowing what your Chinese box is, I'd not like to guess!

To further answer OP.

I'm guessing you actually mean Lombardini.

There appear to be other Liverpool Boats of about that era fitted with them (Example here), so it seems quite possible yours was an original fit for the boat.

EDITED TO ADD:

A bit more Googling reveals use of both PRM boxes and Hurth boxes on Lombardini engines in LB shells, but nothing obviously Chinese.

A picture of the box, and particularly any data plate on it might help someone identify for you - you need to know if putting oil in. Even that PRM box uses different oil from the Hurth......

Edited by alan_fincher

Have you checked that your prop shaft spins freely with the gearbox in neutral? When running in gear doe`s the stuffing box end of the stern tube get hot?

If the gearbox has internal helically cut reduction gears it could well need an EP gear oil.If it has this oil in it it will seem thicker than engine oil and ATF and will smell like 'cats pee'. If ATF it will be thin and probably be a red colour.

Edited by bizzard

If its a chineese box it could well be a kingfisher make, which i have a manual for, but it does not mention oil type. your more than welcome to have a copy it it is a kingfisher box.

Thank you for the replies yes it is a Lombardini sorry for spelling mistake

I have checked the prop and it spins in neutral

That was my next route to go down checking the fuel side of it all

How can I up load pictures on to this site?

So I could show you all the id plate on the box

To load pictures they need to be 'hosted' on a site like Flikr, photobucket etc and then the link posted in the post.

There is a post on here that goes in to the nitty gritty.

Thank you for the replies yes it is a Lombardini sorry for spelling mistake

I have checked the prop and it spins in neutral

That was my next route to go down checking the fuel side of it all

How can I up load pictures on to this site?

So I could show you all the id plate on the box

As a completely off the wall suggestion...

Are you're batteries fully charged or flat, is your inverter on, and are you running and large power off your electrical system.

Turn off inverter/charger and try it again.

Just saying this as when my bateries are in need of power, they tend to suck all the engines oomph(especially if 240V devices are being used), until they are at a reasonable level. If I know this to be the case, I switch the inverter off for the start of the cruise until the engine has warmed up.

Its almost got to the stage now where marine propulsion engines will be sourced and bought with their electricity producing powers in mind,and actual boat propulsion powers as a secondary thought and as an almost afterthought.

Hi all

I'm to believe my gearbox is a kingfisher ma100 and it states in the manual that I got on line to use sae-30 oil

I'm I right to believe that is engine oil?

Yup. Morrisons (not the supermarket) 'Golden Film' should do the job.

Edit to add DO NOT use multigrade ( ie 10-40 ) oil.

taslim.

Edited by TASLIM

To load pictures they need to be 'hosted' on a site like Flikr, photobucket etc and then the link posted in the post.

There is a post on here that goes in to the nitty gritty.

And if you are a computer dinosaur which I am glad to say I am, then the said post will be as clear as mud !! :lol:

Tim

The more info you give, the easier it is to diagnose a problem remotely. For example, what is the exhaust doing at full throttle in gear- any tendency to black smoke? Does it run smoothly or roughly at full throttle? Do the revs increase progressively all the way as the throttle is opened, or only up to a point, then stops accelerating with further throttle travel. Is the throttle arm on the engine touching the stop with full throttle? Is the engine stopped by pressing a button/switch, or by pulling a knob on a cable? If the latter, is the lever on the engine fully against the stop with the knob pushed in?

All that said, most likely cause is fuel starvation for some reason, or possibly air in the fuel system.

Yup. Morrisons (not the supermarket) 'Golden Film' should do the job.

Edit to add DO NOT use multigrade ( ie 10-40 ) oil.

taslim.

I think you will find that`s MORRIS not MORRISONS they do a lot of oils suitable for older/ vintage engines