Is It Me?

Domino_2

Featured Posts

A short while ago this restriction notice arrived in my inbox

Lock 1E Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Thursday 21 June 2012 - Thursday 21 June 2012

Restriction only

Between 12.00pm and 16.00pm

The head gate paddles are leaking water out, subsequently draining the pound between locks 1E and 2E. Investigation is needed into the mechanisms of the paddles so that possible repair works can be carried out.

British Waterways apologise for any inconvenience this may cause

Is it me being thick or do BW have some amazing new bit of technology that allows them to predict that the gate paddles will be leaking between noon and 4pm, and not before or after?

Is it me being thick or do BW have some amazing new bit of technology that allows them to predict that the gate paddles will be leaking between noon and 4pm, and not before or after?

I am heading that way next week .... I wondered why a leaking head paddle would make the pound drain? Surely if the bottom gates were shut it would make the lock fill and then stop which is not such a huge problem.

I am heading that way next week .... I wondered why a leaking head paddle would make the pound drain? Surely if the bottom gates were shut it would make the lock fill and then stop which is not such a huge problem.

HAH! This is the Huddersfield Narrow, remember! That pound has a history of draining through lock 1E, and when I came up that way recently I was surprised to find it full, although there has generally been a lot of water coming down the canal. There problem with that pound is that you can't run water down, as there is no access to Lock 2E except by boat - it's completely closed off from the outside world!

Indeed but...I am certain both the head and the tail gates on 1E are new. The water could be leaking away through the walls of the lock I guess.

Lock 1E Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Thursday 21 June 2012 - Thursday 21 June 2012

Restriction only

Between 12.00pm and 16.00pm

The head gate paddles are leaking water out, subsequently draining the pound between locks 1E and 2E. Investigation is needed into the mechanisms of the paddles so that possible repair works can be carried out.

British Waterways apologise for any inconvenience this may cause

I don't know whether it is you or not, but lock 1E doesn't have head gate paddles, it has ground paddles at the top end...

I don't know whether it is you or not, but lock 1E doesn't have head gate paddles, it has ground paddles at the top end...

Presumably they mean 'paddles' at the 'head gate', rather than 'gate paddles' at the 'head'. But it is poorly expressed.

Presumably they mean 'paddles' at the 'head gate', rather than 'gate paddles' at the 'head'. But it is poorly expressed.

I get the impression that quite a few of their stoppage notices are written in an unclear manner and open to multiple interpretations.

There was one yesterday which was annoying....

Stoppage history:

Due to an intermittent fault, Bridge 187 – Warehouse Swing Bridge will be closed to navigation until further notice while investigations are carried out.

An update will be issued 21.06.2012

Enquiries: 01942405700

Now as most of our guests will be the other side of this bridge on a Wednesday and it could delay their return to base we dutifully called them to advise.

Then just a few hours later we received:

Bridge 187 (Warehouse Swing Bridge) Kildwick

Wednesday 20 June 2012 - Wednesday 20 June 2012

UPDATE (20 June 2012): Bridge 187 (Warehouse Swing Bridge) is re-opened to Navigation.

Which is good in some respects but necessitated another round of calls.

Why couldn't the notice have just said:

Stoppage history:

Due to an intermittent fault, Bridge 187 – Warehouse Swing Bridge will be closed to navigation while investigations are carried out.

We anticipate that the bridge should be re-opened later today.

An update will be issued at 5pm today.

or even better

Restriction:

Due to an intermittent fault, Bridge 187 – Warehouse Swing Bridge will be operated by BW staff whilst investigations are carried out.

We anticipate that minimal delays will be caused to boaters.

An update will be issued at 5pm today.

Edited by RichardH

I get the impression that quite a few of their stoppage notices are written in an unclear manner and open to multiple interpretations.

Just another observation about the notice. They seem to have the 12 and 24 hour clock mixed.

"Between 12.00pm and 16.00pm"

Either 12.00pm and 4.00pm or 1200hrs and 1600hrs

Just another observation about the notice. They seem to have the 12 and 24 hour clock mixed.

"Between 12.00pm and 16.00pm"

Either 12.00pm and 4.00pm or 1200hrs and 1600hrs

At last someone understands my point - BW wouldn't get good grades on English GCSE grammar :rolleyes:

Edited by Domino_2

Is this part of the lock fixing money that Mr Moron said they would have spent on more important necessary work but for the drought causing them to try to conserve water by fixing locks?

When organising temporary road closures I was always deliberately vague about the work needed, excessive with the length of time I said the closure would last and always put my boss' extension number down for enquiries, as he loved fielding that sort of thing B)

This was because until the man with the jibber-pick started making holes I could never be too sure what work would be necessary and, if I told everyone something will take six weeks and it finishes in a month, people write nice letters to the local rag and the Chief Executive would send my boss nice memos praising my good work (which added to his pleasure, caused by answering irate phone calls all month).

Edited by carlt

EA can be just as good. Notice on the tourist information office wall. Flood alert for Sunday but no date. For more information see EA staff in Upton. I haven't seen any and the Tourist information office hadn't any idea.