Fire ext in eng bay?

Featured Posts

Exactly the same 1Kg item for £76.79 inc. here - for a tad more than Force 4 offer you could get 2Kg one.

An excellent find, Sir!

As a matter of interest - - - does anyone measure the temperature that their engine 'ole reaches when cruising?

(I note that the automatic extinguishers loose off their charge at 79/800C - - - does an engine 'ole ever get anywhere near that temperature (without flames?)

An excellent find, Sir!

As a matter of interest - - - does anyone measure the temperature that their engine 'ole reaches when cruising?

(I note that the automatic extinguishers loose off their charge at 79/800C - - - does an engine 'ole ever get anywhere near that temperature (without flames?)

I would have thought 700C was quite possible

Richard

I would have thought 700C was quite possible

Richard

I must admit that was my thinking - - - which would tickle my worry-glands a little when pushing against the tide on the Trent . . .

So 'standard' CO2 units mounted above the boards, (feeding through an aperture to the engine 'ole) I am finkin' would be the best option

The client is working on his engine. The covers are off. He is tied up to the towpath. Someone walking past throws an old cigarette butt. It lands in the engine compartment "while the client has his head down there inspecting batteries or something. He sees the oil catch alight, grabs the small extinguisher in the engine bay and all is well.

If there wasnt one there, he would have to climb out..in a rush, possibly slip, hit his head, and flames....boom......

well..it COULD happen :)

?

In that scenario, he could have covered himself by removing a fire extinguisher from its normal location and keeping it within reach. This way, the extinguisher is reachable for use in almost 100% of situations, instead of the 0.1% you have described.

In that scenario, he could have covered himself by removing a fire extinguisher from its normal location and keeping it within reach. This way, the extinguisher is reachable for use in almost 100% of situations, instead of the 0.1% you have described.

ok you win. although he could have 2 :)

It certainly wont help if a fire breaks out in the engine compartment.The boat safety certificate dosent require an ext in the engine compartment. ... Common sense would indicate if you are worried fit an ext close to the exterior of the engine but not actually in the compartment.

Strange you should say that!

When the BSC was first done, the examiner complained that the extinguisher was not close enough to the engine compartment :mellow:

After pointing out that it was at least to hand to ensure you could fight your way out of the exit and suggesting that there was more danger in raising the deck boards to fight a fire in there anyway he relented :rolleyes:

No point in my view unless its going to be automatic - and I don't want to clean up after its gone off either <_<

Thank you Ditchcrawler for the use of the word "extinguisher" - up till then I had read the title as "Fire EXIT" and wondered why on earth people would say that a fire exit in an engine room was a bad idea.

I have never come across the abbreviation "ext" before - is it in common usage, or used just by people who are not confident of spelling extinn...er, extig...sod it, fire blanket, correctly?

I would think the last thing you want to do with an engine bay fire is yank the deck boards up to play with a fire extinguisher

Likewise that underbonnet fire extinguisher on a car.

Opening a car bonnet allows air in and immediately releases the fire into the face of the bonnet opener - I can see deck boards doing the same.

If it is on fire, get off

Richard

Are there any remotely operated (non automatic) extinguishers that could installed in the engine bay and be activated by a lever / switch on deck without lifting deck boards.

At least it would give more time for evacuation and at best might save the boat.

Paul

If that is what the owner then why not just do it. They are the ones paying the bill.

and then customer has an engine bay fire, finds it is not possible to get to the extinguisher, boat is gutted and owner goes to insurer with the story. Boat insurance company sues the installer, as he would be held to be the "expert" rather than the customer, and installion person's insurers have difficulty countering that, so pay up.

If you do fit it, give him a receipt saying it is for decorative purposes only.

(based on experience over many years of how vulnerable a business can be to this sort of stuff)

>>>When the BSC was first done, the examiner complained that the extinguisher was not close enough to the engine compartment <<<

That's about as sensible as having the fire blanket near the cooker - it should be on the opposite side of the galley, so that you can grab it and get a proper, safe hold before using it on real flames.

Well whats the point? It certainly wont help if a fire breaks out in the engine compartment.The boat safety certificate dosent require an ext in the engine compartment. The min and max temperatures stated on the ext are -20 to +60.On a hot sunny day if you are cruising ,i can imagine the temp in the engine compartment getting close to the max.The ext gets covered in oil,grease and diesel fumes,hardly ideal conditions. Common sense would indicate if you are worried fit an ext close to the exterior of the engine but not actually in the compartment.

I had one under the deckboards of my cruiser stern, but only because I thought it was compulsory under the BSS - although I knew that if a fire broke out under there the worst thing to do would be to lift the boards.

My BSS inspector said it was a waste of time. In the absence of some advanced automated system, one idea is to do is cut a hole and fit a brass filler cap in the deckboards through which you could set of an extinguisher or two. Just make sure the filler cap doesn't say "Diesel"!

Edited by blackrose

That's about as sensible as having the fire blanket near the cooker - it should be on the opposite side of the galley, so that you can grab it and get a proper, safe hold before using it on real flames.

We had a fire blanket hanging in our kitchen, sensibly on the opposite side from the Rayburn. When our kitchen caught fire, I just glimpsed the blanket out of the corner of my eye as I ran past the kitchen and straight out of the back door. As suggested earler in the thread: if you've got a fire, get out.

We had a fire blanket hanging in our kitchen, sensibly on the opposite side from the Rayburn. When our kitchen caught fire, I just glimpsed the blanket out of the corner of my eye as I ran past the kitchen and straight out of the back door. As suggested earler in the thread: if you've got a fire, get out.

Agreed - but it does depend how big the fire is, and what is burning. I can't imagine anything on an Aga hob that couldn't be tackled with a fire blanket.

Agreed - but it does depend how big the fire is, and what is burning. I can't imagine anything on an Aga hob that couldn't be tackled with a fire blanket.

Well, in this case the stud wall behind the Rayburn had caught fire, which had in turn set the ceiling on fire. Discretion was definitely the better part of valour!

Are there any remotely operated (non automatic) extinguishers that could installed in the engine bay and be activated by a lever

Paul

Yes, thousands of boats/ships are fitted with them, I had one on a previous narrowboat and both our boats at work have them. They are easy to fit make a great deal of sense, it realy is not rocket science.

Tim

I would think the last thing you want to do with an engine bay fire is yank the deck boards up to play with a fire extinguisher

Likewise that underbonnet fire extinguisher on a car.

Opening a car bonnet allows air in and immediately releases the fire into the face of the bonnet opener - I can see deck boards doing the same.

If it is on fire, get off

Richard

All very true, but also with the correct remote ext ( thats short for extinguisher ) fitted the fire can be put out quickly, effectively and without any further danger therefore saving the boat.

Tim

Coming to this discussion from a previous career as an airport fireman, so I've had some practise!

There is every kind of extinguisher available but some at silly money! The ones that are normally fitted are easy and cheap to source and fit.

HOWEVER it's likely that you will not get the best from one in case of need simply because of lack of familiarity. Buy a few extinguishers and play somewhere safe!

As a rule of thumb a fire the size of a waste paper bin should go out easily, one the size of a dustbin could take some work to extinguish, and one bigger than a skip is a matter for the pros! However if you are alert and attend quickly then lots of fair size fires can be caught at the beginning and sometimes it may save the boat.

• Greenie 1

Coming to this discussion from a previous career as an airport fireman, so I've had some practise!

There is every kind of extinguisher available but some at silly money! The ones that are normally fitted are easy and cheap to source and fit.

HOWEVER it's likely that you will not get the best from one in case of need simply because of lack of familiarity. Buy a few extinguishers and play somewhere safe!

As a rule of thumb a fire the size of a waste paper bin should go out easily, one the size of a dustbin could take some work to extinguish, and one bigger than a skip is a matter for the pros! However if you are alert and attend quickly then lots of fair size fires can be caught at the beginning and sometimes it may save the boat.

A while ago, I used to work at Shell oil refinery. They make everyone do a fire fighting course. One of the discussions was using the appropriate extinguisher for different kinds of fires. They lit a fairly substantial petrol blaze (in an oil barrel) and got someone to try putting it out with a water extinguisher..........he managed to put it out!

All very true, but also with the correct remote ext ( thats short for extinguisher ) fitted the fire can be put out quickly, effectively and without any further danger therefore saving the boat.

Tim

Very true. I've got no problem with remote fire suppression systems, they are a long way away from a powder extinguisher clipped under the deck boards though

Richard

Buy a few extinguishers and play somewhere safe!

A very good post. The problem of course is that most people perceive their safety as someone elses problem ( ie fire brigade ) or it will never happen to them. Many many boaters will spend megga thousands on shiney paintwork, more thousands on new cratch covers, refits, the latest model car etc but still buy the bare minimum legal requirement for safety on their boat and not a penny more.

Tim

"a fire the size of a skip" is basically the size of half a narrow boat! and it contains things like passports, driving licenses, academic certificates, all your computer and it's data and lots of other insignificant things.

Getting a small can of oil (used engine oil!) burning somewhere safe then covering it with a fireblanket will give you the confidence to do the same in the galley when the whole boat is at risk.

As one ex professional to another have a greenie for a very succinct explanation

When the (somewhat oily) lagging on the gas turbines in the engine room of Her Majesty's war canoe HMS Devonshire caught fire (as it seemed to about once per watch when the G6's were running) the extinguisher of choice was the control room teapot! It was a big bugger and was only deployed once the fire alarm had been sounded so that everyone else was getting organised, just in case.

N