Man buys flat next to canal...

MartinClark

Featured Posts

If this Emma Bartholomew really is the paper's senior reporter, I'd hate to read anything written by its junior reporters. Perhaps she had a deadline to meet....

It looks as if the contractors wrote to the flat-dwellers about the temporary relocation of boats, the flat-dwellers didn't read their letters, and now they're rearing up. This one will run and run.

Edited by Athy

Man buys flat next to canal then complains that he can see boats - shock horror!

[Linky to 'news' story]

Nice publicity for the chair of the Quebec Wharf residents’ association. According to the article, the boats are only there temporarily whilst the landlord dredges the boats normal moorings.

I personally love the photos they've taken, especially the one in which Mr Loney has the classic arms folded 'We are not happy' pose. More like: 'We don't like sharing our toys' pose.

Reading the story, it looks like the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing! :banghead:

I suppose Mr Loney is highlighting the case for the residents he represents, and I assume the residents are upset. However like you say Steve, the article says that they had already been forwarned and that it is only temporary.

So it seems a bit over dramatic of Mr Loney, not what I would expect from a fashion designer(!).

If you bought a property next to a railway line, you'd expect to see trains. Same difference!

Sounds similar to the increasing numbers of townies whom flock to the countryside to escape the rat race in the city, then lodge a formal complaint about the farmer and his noisey tractor, or the bell ringers in the local church.

You couldn't make it up really! :wacko:

If you bought a property next to a railway line, you'd expect to see trains. Same difference!

They built a housing estate next to the Severn Valley Railway workshop here in Bridgnorth. The new residences complained about the noise... They won too.

Casp'

So it seems a bit over dramatic of Mr Loney, not what I would expect from a fashion designer(!).

He's probably a freelance fancy dress photo taker and after free publicity.

It worked.

Martyn

They built a housing estate next to the Severn Valley Railway workshop here in Bridgnorth. The new residences complained about the noise... They won too.

Casp'

:smiley_offtopic:

Happens all the time. Up here it was Croft Racing Circuit. The (bitter) ex-mrs of the circuit owner got the house next to the circuit and promptly complained about the noise! Result is a 75% reduction in circuit activity!

Nice publicity for the chair of the Quebec Wharf residents’ association. According to the article, the boats are only there temporarily whilst the landlord dredges the boats normal moorings.

I personally love the photos they've taken, especially the one in which Mr Loney has the classic arms folded 'We are not happy' pose. More like: 'We don't like sharing our toys' pose.

I thought he was on his cassette at first glance.

I'm puzzled by the last paragraph (though I might have have missed something

"A Hackney Council spokeswoman said: “We will be issuing warning letters shortly with a view to taking action if the owner does not remedy the breach by removing the works or seeks to regularise the development,” said a spokeswoman from Hackney Council."

What is the breach? Are the boats not normally there. I read the article as saying that they have been temporarily moved away from their moorings and and are now back.

As for Mr Loney - 'its like having campervans parked on your lawn' - is this not a classic case of those who, when they buy a property, think they have taken ownership of everything they can see out of their window? Similar to those who complain when somebody parks outside their house because they claim that that is 'their' bit of road when in reality their property ends at the pavement

• Greenie 2

The ONLY thing I would say in mitigation to this chap's complaint is that IF the boats have created a junk yard or excessive noise (and I don't know if this is the case) they have a responsibility to be tidy, as you would expect of any neighbour, be they boats or other properties. Otherwise, you buy a property overlooking a canal expect that you may see boats.

Edited by rgreg

For more Angry People In Local Newspapers: http://apiln.blogspot.co.uk/

Same thing happened ,where i used to live , me dad is a bellringer , and someone moved into a flat a stones throw from the church and guess wot moaned about the noise , now the 12century church has shutters to keep the noise in ,idiots

You always get one!!

Boats in the canal,surely not!

Must be lonely and bored

.......And a tosser

Col

Couldn't agree more.

Lets just hope no Court decides to uphold the Loony complaint

Happens all the time. Up here it was Croft Racing Circuit. The (bitter) ex-mrs of the circuit owner got the house next to the circuit and promptly complained about the noise! Result is a 75% reduction in circuit activity!

Some years back a [Plonker] bought a bungalow quite near to Donnington race circuit & not only wanted the racing & testing curtailed but wanted the circuit closed. Best part, East Midlands airport is next door,even so it`s no engine noise before 8am & after 6pm from Donnington Park[ It really makes you wonder]

Some years back a [Plonker] bought a bungalow quite near to Donnington race circuit & not only wanted the racing & testing curtailed but wanted the circuit closed. Best part, East Midlands airport is next door,even so it`s no engine noise before 8am & after 6pm from Donnington Park[ It really makes you wonder]

I can remember some ex-RAF jet jockey bought a house at Kemble for his retirement and promptly tried to get all aviation activity stopped at the airfield! Fortunately in that case common sense prevailed......

I notice one of his complaints is that his own right to moor a boat there has been breached. If he really has the mooring rights for that spot, then his complaint is valid. I'd be livid too if someone pitched up on a mooring I paid for and chose to keep clear of boats because I like the view.

Same thing crops up with riverside property. Great idea to have yer garden lawn leading down to the Thames so you can keep yer boat there, but then your nice view of the river from your garden is blocked off by your boat....

I notice one of his complaints is that his own right to moor a boat there has been breached. If he really has the mooring rights for that spot, then his complaint is valid. I'd be livid too if someone pitched up on a mooring I paid for and chose to keep clear of boats because I like the view.

Same thing crops up with riverside property. Great idea to have yer garden lawn leading down to the Thames so you can keep yer boat there, but then your nice view of the river from your garden is blocked off by your boat....

If he does genuinely have an end-of-garden mooring (and not on the towpath side), have these boats moored on the private side?

Hi,

This is interesting - and the same problem will occur at the Marsworth depot when this is re-developed (consent just given) - the elan emptying point and rubbish disposal facilities will be closed down or moved.

Difficult, little seems to have been made of this problem.

Leo.