Rat or Vole

Featured Posts

ratorvole.jpgSaw this on the canal bank a couple of summers ago.Can't work out if it's a Rat or a Vole. It dosen't seem to have a ratty nose or colour and was quite small.That's an apple he's munching on to give some idea of the size. It didn't back off when I put my hand near it,didn't grab it in case it had rabies or other lurgies.

Were the Answer RAT, would that be received differently ? Its a fine line and i am always intrigued how some animals are perceived "OK" where others elicit expressions of revulsion. What makes a Mantis acceptable but a cockroach the object of disgust? A butterfly pretty, but a moth, likely to make one reach for the fly spray ?

Having checked through some pictures, I'm not really sure now.

The thing that would steer me towards it being a vole is it's behaviour

Richard

Were the Answer RAT, would that be received differently ? Its a fine line and i am always intrigued how some animals are perceived "OK" where others elicit expressions of revulsion. What makes a Mantis acceptable but a cockroach the object of disgust? A butterfly pretty, but a moth, likely to make one reach for the fly spray ?

Well, you can't hate everything, can you

Richard

ratorvole.jpgSaw this on the canal bank a couple of summers ago.Can't work out if it's a Rat or a Vole. It dosen't seem to have a ratty nose or colour and was quite small.That's an apple he's munching on to give some idea of the size. It didn't back off when I put my hand near it,didn't grab it in case it had rabies or other lurgies.

With that tail would definately vote for a juvenile rat ...

Grab it? ... as basil fawlty would say ... cuddle that and you will never play the guitar again!

Rick

[/size][/color]

I did wonder about the tail, but the head looks more vole to me. Maybe it is a juvenile?

Not a Bandicoot Dor! if they can swim they couldn't swim that far. Have looked at all sorts of pictures and really can't tell. The ears look like a cross between the two, it's tail looks ratty except for the colour but it's face looks like a vole.

Vole

images1.jpg

Why have rats get such bad press - I like them.

Alex

My son had 2 pet white rats which were brothers, for a while. I found them amusing and quite intelligent. They were also quite affectionate.

We called them Ronnie & Reggie.

Vole

images1.jpg

Why have rats get such bad press - I like them.

Alex

That's an atrocious picture of a vole.

I like my rats brown and white, not so keen on grey.

I'm not sure about the OP I think vole but the way it moved would be the give away.

My son had 2 pet white rats which were brothers, for a while. I found them amusing and quite intelligent. They were also quite affectionate.

We called them Ronnie & Reggie.

While waiting for the tube in LOndon I regularly saw a rat who popped out of the signal cable box. No-one ever seemed to notice him staring across at us lot but I quite liked him. He was nothing like those grubby rats you see more and more along canals eating dumped on the towpath chips etc. I often wished him good morning.

Mind you I regularly say hello to those larger wet floor cones they stick in the middles of isles in supermarkets. Often they are doing a much more useful job than the youngers staff members who are to busy chatting to mates than to answer queries. For them find an old boy or girl - they seem to value customers rather than tolerate them.

As for the creature maybe its a Volat with a voles body and a rats tail.

<snip>

Mind you I regularly say hello to those larger wet floor cones they stick in the middles of isles in supermarkets.

<snip>

While you are amongst friends, do you say 'thank you' to the ticket machines at car park barriers? Or is that just me...

Richard

While you are amongst friends, do you say 'thank you' to the ticket machines at car park barriers? Or is that just me...

<Richard's "friends" slowly move to the opposite end of the forum>

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

• 2 months later...

i found this pic of a water vole arvicola_terrestris%281%29.jpg looks similar to me.

• Greenie 1