Exactly how slow are you supposed to pass moored boats ?

Justin Smith

Featured Posts

This is something we have often wondered when we see rat boats. First how can anyone live in something like that, some look too small to have a toilet never mind a shower. Do the owners work ? If so how do they make sure they get to work without requiring their workmates to wear nose clips ? If they don`t work how did they buy the boats (not that they look that expensive mind) ? And how do they sign on ? Do they have to walk to the dole office ? And I thought you had to have a permanent address (and be available for work) in order to draw the dole ?

And finally...... I`m not having a go at anyone here, I`m just interested to know, how many of the people on those rat boats have, how can I put this, "social problems" ?

A RAT boat broke down right next to us a couple of weeks ago, and the two young RATTY owners spoke to us.

We spent a day or two with them fixing the engine, towed them for a while, shared a few locks, and did a couple of pub visits together.

Both had very successful careers in the performing arts area and they had just purchased said rat boat with a hope of doing a restoration.

Never judge anyone by their appearance, true in life but doubly true on the cut.

........Dave

A RAT boat broke down right next to us a couple of weeks ago, and the two young RATTY owners spoke to us.

We spent a day or two with them fixing the engine, towed them for a while, shared a few locks, and did a couple of pub visits together.

Both had very successful careers in the performing arts area and they had just purchased said rat boat with a hope of doing a restoration.

Never judge anyone by their appearance, true in life but doubly true on the cut.

........Dave

There is a young lad who frequents our local waterways who each time we meet always gives us a cheery hello - as I guess he hasn't forgot the time we loaned him our hose pipe (pre-ban) to wash his small GRP cruiser while we were both moored in Selby basin last year...

........Dave

Are you sure they were both called RATTY?one of them may have been called MOLE.!

:captain:

It is indeed rude to suggest that owners of less than immaculate boats are inferior people,the OP is 'winding 'us up,methinks

I'm wondering if ours qualifies as a "rat boat" seeing as a shiny boater told us yesterday that it was "a crime that we'd let her get in such a state!"

It is indeed wrong that some people feel they can pass judgement on others :(

When we first became liveaboards and moved to Skipton we became increasingly despondent over the first few months.Certain elements of the cruising clubs and private owners who only visited their boats on sunny days in the area gave us a completely different view on the life we had just started.Becoming burdened with self doubt and a teenage son who was very reluctant to start a new life I became very depressed,what had I done to my family.One weekend we left our mooring in town and went a few miles towards Gargrave village and moored up.Nearby was a group of boats,about 6 or 7,what some would call tramp boats or rat boats.On the second day a conversation struck up between us and by the third day our lives had turned around.That was 12 years ago and although they have moved on now I would much prefer it if they were still here.They worked hard,with part time jobs and studying for college.Warm,intelligent people,I hope they are reading this.

• Greenie 1

I'm wondering if ours qualifies as a "rat boat" seeing as a shiny boater told us yesterday that it was "a crime that we'd let her get in such a state!"

It is indeed wrong that some people feel they can pass judgement on others :(

Just another 'Toy boat' owner I'll guess, the folk that leave an empty boat for weeks at a time then come and play with it on a sunny weekend. These are the majority of boats clogging up the K&A, empty, dumped weekend playthings.

Genius. Do you have any other tips?

*giggles*

This is something we have often wondered when we see rat boats. First how can anyone live in something like that, some look too small to have a toilet never mind a shower. Do the owners work ? If so how do they make sure they get to work without requiring their workmates to wear nose clips ? If they don`t work how did they buy the boats (not that they look that expensive mind) ? And how do they sign on ? Do they have to walk to the dole office ? And I thought you had to have a permanent address (and be available for work) in order to draw the dole ?

And finally...... I`m not having a go at anyone here, I`m just interested to know, how many of the people on those rat boats have, how can I put this, "social problems" ?

Some of the real "gems", who have been most helpful, I have met on the cut come from the scruffiest looking boats, not the "shiney boat brigade".

Just another 'Toy boat' owner I'll guess, the folk that leave an empty boat for weeks at a time then come and play with it on a sunny weekend. These are the majority of boats clogging up the K&A, empty, dumped weekend playthings.

It amazes me how much discrimination there is in the narrowboating world !!

Why have we all got to use our boats and canals the way you think we should

Extreme prejudice, particularly when hatefully presented, has a nasty tendency to encourage a polarized and equally prejudiced response from those normally more enlightened and thoughtful.

Personally, I often find the provoked reactions more disturbing than the views of the provocateur, just because they are made by normally enlightened and thoughtful people and are therefore more creditable.

Justin Smith does not necessarily represent the views of, or speak for, the 'shiny boat brigade' (a sweeping and prejudicial term in itself).

Until it can be established that he is such a spokesman, as the owner of a boat that, if it ever were polished, probably would shine, I would like to protest at being so 'dissed' by this unwarranted and insulting association.

Joshua

Guest wanted

Justin, it would appear that your view of what is a "social problem" is different to pretty much all other replies to your ridiculous post. Maybe now would be a good time to look inwards?

Some of the real "gems", who have been most helpful, I have met on the cut come from the scruffiest looking boats, not the "shiney boat brigade".

Obviously not totally true across the board but its seems the shiner their boat is the faster they think they can pass too!

I ignore hirers as they get a free pass in my head and i only pay attention to the private boats. Scruffy, aka the lived in look, boats pass at a fraction of the speed of the shiney ones.

Just 10 mins ago I had to go out and applauded this boat for his speed was amazing. a shiney shiney one around 62-64foot with double bows waves about 6 inches high. Needless to say when he saw me clapping and my 5 pins popping out he ducked his head forward and put the other 500rpm on that his engine had left to give. :angry:

Havent they noticed the rain recently? the ground is sooo soft!

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

I think the answer may be none.

And finally...... [i]I`m not having a go at anyone here, I`m just interested to know[/i], how many of the people on those rat boats have, how can I put this, "social problems" ?

Can you define what you mean by "social problems"?

To put it politely, I think your head is stuck up your bottom and you need to ask yourself who has the social problem.