Gas pipe thickness

Featured Posts

Is there a wall thickness specification on 15mm copper pipe used in a boat?

Ta.

15mm is ok for water pipes but you need good old imperial half inch pipe for your gas supply, it has a thicker wall and is what your boats gas supply should be piped in, not metric stuff. :cheers:

Tim

3/8" and 5/16" gas pipe is the norm

But you may have flow restrictions depending on appliances. E.g. if you have a gas boiler and a gas oven & hob, it may be better to run the main pipe in 1/2" with 3/8" teed off to the appliances.

Is there a wall thickness specification on 15mm copper pipe used in a boat?

Ta.

Yes, its either 1.0 or 1.6mm from memory. Yes, feckin thick and seriously expensive IF you can find it. Correct wall thickness only normally available in imperial sizes.

And it has to be annealed copper tube too, don't forget, not the half-hard stuff sold in plumbers' merchants....

Mike

Usually 8-10mm soft copper pipe is used for gas pipework.

Alex

No it isn't.

Mike

Eeerr - What are the recommendations then?

As mentioned above, gas pipe should be 5/16", 3/8" or 1/2". These will have the thicker walls and most chandlers stock the imperial fittings (although I believe you can use 10 mm as a substitute for 5/16" although not recommended).

As mentioned above, gas pipe should be 5/16", 3/8" or 1/2". These will have the thicker walls and most chandlers stock the imperial fittings (although I believe you can use 10 mm as a substitute for 5/16" although not recommended).

Hi

Why should we be using the old fashioned imperial tube?

When metric tube is so readily available and 8mm is a direct replacement for 5/16.

Alex

Why should we be using the old fashioned imperial tube?

Because if you do, you will almost certainly be using something that meets all the required standards, whereas this is very much harder to do with metric, particularly as there are unscrupulous chandlers out there prepared to tell you "metric is the way to go these days", but who are actually selling stuff that does not comply.

Imperial may be "old fashioned", but is is the proper stuff, IMO, and by far the easiest way of getting things right.

Because if you do, you will almost certainly be using something that meets all the required standards, whereas this is very much harder to do with metric, particularly as there are unscrupulous chandlers out there prepared to tell you "metric is the way to go these days", but who are actually selling stuff that does not comply.

Imperial may be "old fashioned", but is is the proper stuff, IMO, and by far the easiest way of getting things right.

Were these rules on 'getting things right' written pre-second world war or shortly after?

Can any one point me to the latest gas pipe requirements, I have a feeling there are many post war boats out there - 'wrongly' piped .

Alex

Were these rules on 'getting things right' written pre-second world war or shortly after?

Can any one point me to the latest gas pipe requirements, I have a feeling there are many post war boats out there - 'wrongly' piped .

Alex

Hi

ocasionaly we all get things wrong and on this occasion you are wrong. Imperial may be old fashioned but it is superior quality and CORRECT for gas. If you wish to measure in foreign European measurements do so but let the rest of us Brits use proper imperial.....I always do :cheers:

Tim

0.8 wall for pipes under 12mm and 1.5 wall for pipes over 12 mm solid drawn copper or drawn stainless

steel

copper must comply with BS EN 1057

Stainless to BS 6362

aluminium,lead,brass tubing,steel tubing and plastics are NOT SUITABLE materials

Alex - further reading PD 5482-3 (2005)

Edited by hamsterfan

Hi

ocasionaly we all get things wrong and on this occasion you are wrong. Imperial may be old fashioned but it is superior quality and CORRECT for gas. If you wish to measure in foreign European measurements do so but let the rest of us Brits use proper imperial.....I always do :cheers:

Tim

Hi

I'm the last person to want to be pedantic, but why is imperial CORRECT for gas and metric isn't? Gas is even measured in cubic METRES!

I can understand people with vintage boats wanting to maintain correctness but not us average boaters.

How come the imperial pipe size is better ---- Oh I see ! - OK, yes you're right good old British Imperial is bestclapping.gif

Having spent a life time trying to forget what we were taught in school in the 50's, I can almost understand both.

I now measure any thing above an inch in feet and inches and anything less in mm. (I cant be doing with 13/64" etc.)blush.gif

Alex

Hi

I'm the last person to want to be pedantic, but why is imperial CORRECT for gas and metric isn't? Gas is even measured in cubic METRES!

I can understand people with vintage boats wanting to maintain correctness but not us average boaters.

How come the imperial pipe size is better ---- Oh I see ! - OK, yes you're right good old British Imperial is bestclapping.gif

Having spent a life time trying to forget what we were taught in school in the 50's, I can almost understand both.

I now measure any thing above an inch in feet and inches and anything less in mm. (I cant be doing with 13/64" etc.)blush.gif

Alex

Don't do any plumbing then. The pipe might be 15 mm but the taps are still 1/2"

no standard tube is lower grade (cheap shite!!) you would need to specify, easier to buy from someone like BES

Even though it is compressed air pipe that will happily handle 200psi? What's gas pressure - 8psi?

Don't do any plumbing then. The pipe might be 15 mm but the taps are still 1/2"

Are they really, never noticed. They all seem to fit metric tube.

Alex