Water Water everywhere

matty40s

Featured Posts

I took a wander yesterday and visited a few choice areas in the Notts/Leics area.

I started off at Sawley which is most definitely in the Red

7118098791_94895514d6.jpg

The flow on the river was immense, and it was rising whilst I was there..

6972039254_b39c520243_c.jpg

with more rain on the way

6972025540_253063e4dc_z.jpg

I then wandered up the Soar where Zouch wier was running fast and also the flood control Sluice gates were open

7118102343_75f343dd87_z.jpg

To Silby Mill where the River to the left is now over the towpath and a large willow has collapsed into the channel

6972026332_aaab3690a9_z.jpg

6972028830_2274dab6ef_z.jpg

Then finally Cossington Lock

7118105689_2bb5138b79_z.jpg

and Wier where a couple of canoeists were messing about

6972030082_b06538d1f3_z.jpg

and finally got a quick vid of a wier shoot.

There is a LOT of water coming down both rivers, with lots of debris too.

There is also a short youtube vid of sawley wier showing how strong the flow was.

Edited by matty40s

Great pics Matty! We were hoping to get from Loughborough to Nottingham yesterday but clearly were being a bit optimistic! We'll just have to sit tight until the rivers calm down.

not sure I'd want to moor at Silby mill

It's a lovely spot. All of the boats are on rising pontoons and out of the flow, there is a second wier which opens between the two boats far right and they must move a bit. There are also two moorings above the wier on the offside of the lock, they must be quite noisy at times like this with the roar.

There are also moorings in the old basin behind the mill building. Everyone had cleared the ground of floatable items yesterday as they were expecting the wharf to flood.

Edited by matty40s

We must have almost crossed over !

I met the Canoeists at Sileby.

Heres a few Extra to add to yours ;

Mountsorrel Weir Pool

soar004.jpg

Another view of Sileby Weir Exit

soar002.jpg

Sileby Weir Entrance

soar001.jpg

Looks like it may have come up a little further today as I passed Barrow Upon Soar - Slash lane may be passable in a 4x4 at a push.

Great photos- we're hoping to have a long weekend next week from Shardlow-so hoping the levels drop soon.

I was working on the Trent for 7 hours in two trips yesterday. I bimbled up to our turning point in one place and it took me 1 and threequarter hours. We came back in precisely 15 minutes. Much more fun than Alton towers but my shoulders are a bit stiff today. Back out later on. :cheers:

Tim

I was working on the Trent for 7 hours in two trips yesterday. I bimbled up to our turning point in one place and it took me 1 and threequarter hours. We came back in precisely 15 minutes. Much more fun than Alton towers but my shoulders are a bit stiff today. Back out later on. :cheers:

Tim

Tim

Do you still cruise through Holme lock when the Trent is running high, or just rely on the stretch between Holme & Trent Bridge ?

One of my favorite memories of the Princess was whilst waiting for Holme Lock coming Upstream - The Princess exited & Bobbing in the back of the lock was a small White Dawncraft Dandy - It looked as of the Princess had just given laid it in the lock !

Tim

Do you still cruise through Holme lock when the Trent is running high, or just rely on the stretch between Holme & Trent Bridge ?

One of my favorite memories of the Princess was whilst waiting for Holme Lock coming Upstream - The Princess exited & Bobbing in the back of the lock was a small White Dawncraft Dandy - It looked as of the Princess had just given laid it in the lock !

It depends what water level is at bottom of Holme lock. I went through there 2 days ago when the wind was low but yesterday with the flow and wind we didnt go through. We risk assess every trip and whilst the river was fine the lock was not worth any risk. The rivers quite a bit up though at Trent bridge with the arial tapping the girders. Still totaly safe for us though or we just wouldnt even contemplate going out. There were 3 or 4 narrowboats on there yesterday having a ball.

Its a fab river, always loved it. Might see you on there :cheers:

Tim

Edited by mrsmelly

We are currently stuck above The Trent at Trent Lock on the Erewash and the word locally is that the river will rise round here even higher this weekend, when the region is expecting some very heavy showers on Sunday. I think most of the Midlands, north of here, empties into the Trent and Derwent upstream.

We have just moved on to a brand new boat and are keen to get on the T&M, but Sawley flood lock is closed until further notice, as is Cranfleet so it's no-go to Nottingham. If you coming this way from the west I wouldn't think you would get much further than Shardlow (mind you, there are worse places to be stuck in). It looks like we will be here until Tuesday or Wednesday at least. Roger

We are currently stuck above The Trent at Trent Lock on the Erewash and the word locally is that the river will rise round here even higher this weekend, when the region is expecting some very heavy showers on Sunday. I think most of the Midlands, north of here, empties into the Trent and Derwent upstream.

We have just moved on to a brand new boat and are keen to get on the T&M, but Sawley flood lock is closed until further notice, as is Cranfleet so it's no-go to Nottingham. If you coming this way from the west I wouldn't think you would get much further than Shardlow (mind you, there are worse places to be stuck in). It looks like we will be here until Tuesday or Wednesday at least. Roger

Ah well looks like we'll be in Lougborough for a little while then! Thanks for the info Roger.

Still have a faint hope we can dash to Nottingham tomorrow but it is a very faint hope!

Ah well looks like we'll be in Lougborough for a little while then! Thanks for the info Roger.

Still have a faint hope we can dash to Nottingham tomorrow but it is a very faint hope!

Not a snowballs Ange, not even for you with your magic helmsman Dave.

You had better just drive to Shobnall on Sunday and do the Chinese Buffet with us ! Lol

Edited by jelunga