Some prototype boats.

Laurie Booth

Featured Posts

Great photos Laurie :)

Do you know where the third photo was taken? The raised platform with a chain drive? It seems to ring some bells way back in the dark vaults of my youthtime memories!

it wasn't a boat as such, it used to take people off the beach to a landing stage as I recall.

My favourite is the Vespa TwinBanana.

b6.jpg

I was reading about surplus aeroplane fuel drop tanks being used for the bodies of land speed record motorbikes. I wonder if those floats are drop tanks

I like the Peugeot myself

Richard

Do you know where the third photo was taken? The raised platform with a chain drive? It seems to ring some bells way back in the dark vaults of my youthtime memories!

It took people to an island along a causeway when the tide was in. Agatha Christie's island hotel in one of her books rings a bell

Here is a video of a Prototype boat I am currently the engineer for. Taken last week(From the end of Portland Bill on the way to Exmouth

for trials.

A slightly different era of beasty than those pics. and very different from the nb engines I work with alot of the time, This one has 1300hp in total.

Great snaps, Laurie. The fourth one, I think, is an Amphicar which actually went into production. I saw one progressing along (and later beside) the Ashby Canal a few years ago.The last one is obviously a very early Springer.

I think I've been on this one at Burge Island or something very similar. It is for getting people to and from the island when the tide is in.

:)

I think I've been on this one at Burge Island or something very similar. It is for getting people to and from the island when the tide is in.

:)

Thanks, the name doesn't ring a bell but then I would have been very small at the time !

b6.jpg

I was reading about surplus aeroplane fuel drop tanks being used for the bodies of land speed record motorbikes. I wonder if those floats are drop tanks

I like the Peugeot myself

Richard

Seems those drop tanks left over from the war were in demand. Many a fairground showman updated his juvenile roundabout with "space rockets" made from them.

Do you know where the third photo was taken? The raised platform with a chain drive? It seems to ring some bells way back in the dark vaults of my youthtime memori

Edited by Max Sinclair

Back pedal to post No.13 Max - seems like it was used to access Burgh Island and the hotel thereupon.

High water Bus.

PS:

The original vehicle was constructed in 1930; the current, third generation tractor dates from 1969.

- and you can

The interesting thing about the scooter on floats, is that it appears to have been an attempt to cross the Channel on it - "Calais - Londres" on the legshields, or so it looks.

Found!

George Monneret broke several records using scooters. In 1952 he made a crossing of the English Channel as part of a Raid Paris - Londres. That's him on the scooter, and you can seem a liitle more of his exploits HERE. It's in French, but scroll down and you will see him aboard. A rough translation of the picture credit is:

"Monneret found its stride in second gear (the gearbox is equipped with 3). But halfway across the key to the drive shaft broke. The repair is impossible on the spot, the sea is too rough. The only solution is to return to France for repair. But Georges Monneret can not be removed. "I do not want the English to laugh at me!" The next day (October 9, 1952), he hits the road, in reality the sea! At 8:00 am, Monneret off again, and after 5:30 hrs. navigating the English Channel it reaches the coast at Dover."

Edited by Derek R.