Easter Sunday in Worcester

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

Show-boating? Clearly you havent read anything me and Mike have posted, but that doesn't surprise me, as you werent even there and immediately passed judgement.

Well I thought it looked really good fun and there was bags of room for everyone else. I was talking to a chap at Norbury on Saturday who said they had to tow you back...hope it's all fixed now.

I don't know emu and Archimedes, inconsiderate going to the do and inconsiderate coming back, they BETTER stay at home next year.

Darren

What do you know of either boat, or their steerers? Have you met them? Did either of them get in your way or pass your moored boat too quickly? Or their conduct other than what you have heard on this forum, reserve your judgement for people you've met, and then if it isn't nice keep that to yourself!

...and what do you mean by "BETTER"? Is that a threat?

Mike

Well I thought it looked really good fun and there was bags of room for everyone else. I was talking to a chap at Norbury on Saturday who said they had to tow you back...hope it's all fixed now.

That would've been Ray on Owl, he was wonderful, I dont know what I would've done with out him.

And you know what, it was great fun, I loved it, just sick of people who have nothing to do but complain about something they didnt even witness. The only person who did witness it said it made their weekend.

Show-boating? Clearly you havent read anything me and Mike have posted, but that doesn't surprise me, as you werent even there and immediately passed judgement.

Along with others yes.

And I have read it - what would you call it then?

That would've been Ray on Owl, he was wonderful, I dont know what I would've done with out him.

And you know what, it was great fun, I loved it, just sick of people who have nothing to do but complain about something they didnt even witness. The only person who did witness it said it made their weekend.

He said you'd had a great time, we went to the port as time was limited. I tell ya' if I'd have seen you it certainly would have made my weekend, I'd have had my camera out and been whoop whooping as you passed :lol:

Come on Martin, its a bit of fun. No harm done and no inconvenience to anyone else.

Boating is after all supposed to be a fun passtime :cheers:

Well said :)

Who's got the book running on how long this thread will last without being whacked by a mod? :P

Along with others yes.

And I have read it - what would you call it then?

As Mike has explained, Emu wanted to get off, untied from the pontoon and took us with him. We went along like this for around 5mins as we got things sorted (and there was enough room to get a barge either side of us), and I was rather thankful, as my engine was badly overheating.

Like I said, it was great fun, I didnt realise that was synonymous with showboating. We didn't do it for anyone else but ourselves, we didn't upset anyone, we didn't cause danger to anyone else, or anyones boat, and the moment the river narrowed, we untied and singled out.

Seriously, have you nothing better to do with your time then complain when people are having a bit of fun?

I am sick to death of people tarring me with the 'you own an historic boat, so you must be an inconsiderate boater'. I have kept quiet on so many occasions on this forum, and watched as people have judged others from what they have read or heard. If at some point I do upset anyone else by being inconsiderate, I will be the first to apologise, but as of yet, and to my knowledge, that has never been the case.

And as for Archimedes and Emu, Jay and Michael are two of the loveliest people I have had the pleasure of meeting, it is just a shame that some people will never know that, as they wont give them the time of day purely from something they have read on here

Edited by Tiggers
  • Greenie 3

<snip>

I am sick to death of people tarring me with the 'you own an historic boat, so you must be an inconsiderate boater'.

<snip>

I lost count of the number of historic boats that passed Cobbett last week, and all were considerate and friendly, including all four of the boats in that impromptu raft

Richard

I lost count of the number of historic boats that passed Cobbett last week, and all were considerate and friendly, including all four of the boats in that impromptu raft

Richard

One thing i do like about this thread is the term " Historic boat " :) being used as opposed to " Working boat " which on far too many ocasions is simply wrong. :cheers:

Tim

As Mike has explained, Emu wanted to get off, untied from the pontoon and took us with him. We went along like this for around 5mins as we got things sorted (and there was enough room to get a barge either side of us), and I was rather thankful, as my engine was badly overheating.

Like I said, it was great fun, I didnt realise that was synonymous with showboating. We didn't do it for anyone else but ourselves, we didn't upset anyone, we didn't cause danger to anyone else, or anyones boat, and the moment the river narrowed, we untied and singled out.

Seriously, have you nothing better to do with your time then complain when people are having a bit of fun?

I am sick to death of people tarring me with the 'you own an historic boat, so you must be an inconsiderate boater'. I have kept quiet on so many occasions on this forum, and watched as people have judged others from what they have read or heard. If at some point I do upset anyone else by being inconsiderate, I will be the first to apologise, but as of yet, and to my knowledge, that has never been the case.

And as for Archimedes and Emu, Jay and Michael are two of the loveliest people I have had the pleasure of meeting, it is just a shame that some people will never know that, as they wont give them the time of day purely from something they have read on here

It has nothing to do with how old the boats are you sound like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder there Tiggers -- as I said in an earlier post though I imagine there would have been a right old to do on here if 4 hirers were to do it.

I merely queried the practice and it's safety for other boaters - I didn't however call you idiots like another poster did - curious that that comment has gone unchallenged....

Funny that you just singled out my posts Matt, when there others who agreed and one other who actually referred to them as idiots. It's a discussion forum Matt and I will comment on what I damn well want to including your recent petty attempts to rubbish my posts.

I didn't comment on Richard's post because I recalled it was posted after TO suffered a breakdown - a wholly different scenario from the show-boating we see in the first picture.

It was post 16 before someone else came along and commented that they agreed with you Martin by that time you had already posted about inconveniencing others, awarding negative greenies and saying that if you want fun go and hire a party boat, oh, and Grandstanding.

I quite agree that you will comment on everything you damn well want to, so will I, it's what makes this forum so enjoyable.

I am also pretty sure that Mr and Mrs TO saw the winky smiley and knew it was in jest.

:-)

Edited by matty40s

One thing i do like about this thread is the term " Historic boat " :) being used as opposed to " Working boat " which on far too many ocasions is simply wrong. :cheers:

Tim

Canis Major (as Canis Major) has never worked a day in her life, in fact, she has been towed more than she has towed! :rolleyes:

Canis Major (as Canis Major) has never worked a day in her life, in fact, she has been towed more than she has towed! :rolleyes:

We need to get a load of coal sorted for Canis Major asap so you can stop using the naughty historic word, someone better ring the Historic ships register too and suggest a name change!

We need to get a load of coal sorted for Canis Major asap so you can stop using the naughty historic word, someone better ring the Historic ships register too and suggest a name change!

Actually, I have got 10 bags of coal in the hold at the moment, and did sell a bag to a friend at Droitwich! Does she class as a working boat now?! :cheers:

What do you know of either boat, or their steerers? Have you met them? Did either of them get in your way or pass your moored boat too quickly? Or their conduct other than what you have heard on this forum, reserve your judgement for people you've met, and then if it isn't nice keep that to yourself!

r

...and what do you mean by "BETTER"? Is that a threat?

Mike

Mike don't get you knickers in a twist, I was just commenting on all the fuss that was drawn to them on the thread a couple of weeks ago when they were going to the event and now all the fuss people are making against them on there return. I personally couldn't care less what people do and was defentley not a threat in any way!! Just my dry sense of humour . And yes I do know one of the sterrers and both boats and way before the boats were in there hands.

Darren

This thread has reminded me or a recent trip when we were moored up the Middlewich branch during the day and first of all a hire boat came past with a bow wave of which the QE2 would have been proud. A wee while later a working boat (one of the ones in the piccie) came past and put the hire boat to shame. He almost managed to get the breaking wash on the non towpath side to go over the top of the banking. I reckon if he hadn't cut back his speed a bit to pass us, he would have succeeded.

Neither boat affected our boat as we were moored on rings with springs.

Haggis.

Funny that you just singled out my posts Matt, when there others who agreed and one other who actually referred to them as idiots. It's a discussion forum Matt and I will comment on what I damn well want to including your recent petty attempts to rubbish my posts.

Martin,

To be fair, you were first to wade in with.....

Ah that's it

- sociable for them but max inconvenience to others...

Unless you have some information not actually available in the thread, there is not a jot of evidence that they inconvenienced anybody, nor that they were ever in any danger of doing so. Nor that they presented any danger to themselves or others

You threw down a rather controversial judgement on the owners of these boats, without any basis for doing so, (other than you didn't like the look of what they did), so I don't think you should be too upset if some want to challenge your views.

Oh, and I have openly disagreed with Laurence's post at least twice, even if I didn't spell out in so many words that I think he should not be calling people idiots. I would have thought it obvious, though, from my reply, that I think he is wrong to do so.

Martin,

To be fair, you were first to wade in with.....

Unless you have some information not actually available in the thread, there is not a jot of evidence that they inconvenienced anybody, nor that they were ever in any danger of doing so. Nor that they presented any danger to themselves or others

You threw down a rather controversial judgement on the owners of these boats, without any basis for doing so, (other than you didn't like the look of what they did), so I don't think you should be too upset if some want to challenge your views.

Oh, and I have openly disagreed with Laurence's post at least twice, even if I didn't spell out in so many words that I think he should not be calling people idiots. I would have thought it obvious, though, from my reply, that I think he is wrong to do so.

PM system working fine I take it... ;)

Tim

Oh, we passed loads of working boats, many of them owned by Viking Afloat. Not Monarch or Grimsby of course, they were flogging coal and shiny things

Richard

Oh, we passed loads of working boats, many of them owned by Viking Afloat. Not Monarch or Grimsby of course, they were flogging coal and shiny things

Richard

:clapping:

Tsk! I am going to have to have a word with them - I have told them if they keep polishing stuff to within an inch of it's life they will lose the patina of age and devalue all their stock!