The Caldon Canal

nora

Featured Posts

I wish to thank the people who reccomended I visit the Caldon canal over the Easter weekend, my son and wife and I, had a lovely if wet time, but I am sorry to say we all came to the conclusion that the Caldon is over rated, you need to travel at least 3/4 the way up before it gets decent, say perhaps where you lock into the river, then on to Consall Forge, which is very pretty and unusual. but the first 3/4 in my opinion is not great,in other words it seemed a long way to travel for the bit of beauty at the far end. Nora

Silver linings: 1) you DID reach the pretty part, if you had turned back earlier you would never have seen it, and 2) you will know next time that you should choose a different canal to explore. Thanks for your honest appraisal of the Caldon.

While I agree that the Consall Forge section is probably the best, I'm surprised you didn't like Stockton Brook Locks, Hazelhurst Junction and Aqueduct, Hazelhurst Locks, Cheddleton flint mill, the Churnet Valley Railway, the Leek Arm and the pool before the tunnel.

But then I think quite a lot of the Llangollen is over-rated, so maybe I shouldn't really comment!

While I agree that the Consall Forge section is probably the best, I'm surprised you didn't like Stockton Brook Locks, Hazelhurst Junction and Aqueduct, Hazelhurst Locks, Cheddleton flint mill, the Churnet Valley Railway, the Leek Arm and the pool before the tunnel.

But then I think quite a lot of the Llangollen is over-rated, so maybe I shouldn't really comment!

Now this post intrigues me. I think the Caldon is great and one of the most disapointing canals on the system and hugely overrated is the Langollen. The Pontywhatsitsname aqueduct is a one off but its a hell of a way to travel for one aqueduct and the scenery does not match the best bits of the L and L or for me Bosley locks on the maccy for instance :cheers:

Tim

Now this post intrigues me. I think the Caldon is great and one of the most disapointing canals on the system and hugely overrated is the Langollen. The Pontywhatsitsname aqueduct is a one off but its a hell of a way to travel for one aqueduct and the scenery does not match the best bits of the L and L or for me Bosley locks on the maccy for instance :cheers:

Tim

I thought it was just me, so I'm glad I'm not alone!

I wish to thank the people who reccomended I visit the Caldon canal over the Easter weekend, my son and wife and I, had a lovely if wet time, but I am sorry to say we all came to the conclusion that the Caldon is over rated, you need to travel at least 3/4 the way up before it gets decent, say perhaps where you lock into the river, then on to Consall Forge, which is very pretty and unusual. but the first 3/4 in my opinion is not great,in other words it seemed a long way to travel for the bit of beauty at the far end. Nora

I think that 3/4 is an overestimate of the "not particularly good" bit of the Caldon.

Certainly, the stretch out of Stoke is only justified for us by the nice bit beyond, but once past Foxley, things are on the up and past Endon it gets better and better, and everything past Stockton Brook is great.

IMV 3/4 of the canal is superb.

The Memsahib feels the same way too. I was happy to persevere out to the pretty bit, but much of the canal is fairly ornery north Midlands countryside.

A bit of confusion here? mrsmelly was praising the Caldon and denigrating the Llangollen. FTR, I've always enjoyed the Caldon, with Stockton Brook the beginning of the good bit. Can't comment on the Llangollen - it's nearly 50 years since I set foot in Wales!

Not all our waterways are 100% magnificent along their full length.

We for example are currently on the S&SY/River Don navigation some of which has been a bit bland to be honest.

However coming down on the section from Doncaster town lock to where we are currently moored at Sprotbrough it has been just fantastic - easily as good as anything you can get on any UK inland waterway or in France even.

:cheers:

A bit of confusion here? mrsmelly was praising the Caldon and denigrating the Llangollen. FTR, I've always enjoyed the Caldon, with Stockton Brook the beginning of the good bit. Can't comment on the Llangollen - it's nearly 50 years since I set foot in Wales!

I bit off topic, but it's only the last 10 miles or so of the Llangollen canal that is in Wales! When we did it true to form it rained the whole time for the part in Wales. We will be doing it again this summer so I expect that to be the time that we get all the missing rain fall.

I'm firmly in the 75% of it is excellent camp. Dismissing 75% of it as not great seems very odd, if you have actually done it!.

Go up to Leek too, and the "percentage that is good" goes even higher too, (although I'll admit Leek itself is hardly a classic way for a canal to end!

Sorry folks, quoted the wrong post. Should have been the OP's message!

100% agree.

We loved the Caldon and would highly recommend it.

Whilst the Llangollen is pretty in parts it is very busy at times and there are some pretty boring stretches.

Not all our waterways are 100% magnificent along their full length.

We for example are currently on the S&SY/River Don navigation some of which has been a bit bland to be honest.

However coming down on the section from Doncaster town lock to where we are currently moored at Sprotbrough it has been just fantastic - easily as good as anything you can get on any UK inland waterway or in France even.

:cheers:

Glad you are enjoying it Martin. I went to Sheffield with low expectations but found it varied and interesting.

Glad you are enjoying it Martin. I went to Sheffield with low expectations but found it varied and interesting.

Not sure we will get all the way to Sheffield as planned but yes it's a great waterway.

Penning up in Doncaster Town lock with the trains on the East Coast main Line visibly slowly moving just a foot or so above your head was interesting to say the least...

Long overdue for a visit then!

Don't worry the days of " come home to a real fire, buy a holiday cottage in Wales" are long gone!

Hello again, yes Alan_Fincher, we did do the Caldon last week, and I stick by my opinion, we did do part of the Leek arm , by mistake,we did visit the Holly bush pub, had to climb down some horrendous steps to get to the pub, we moored just over the auqaduct, we went back on to the other arm and moored outside the pub for the night on the way back,that was quite nice, the mill at Cheddleton wasnt much,the aquaduct was ok, like I said, I stick by my opinion Nora.

I am really sorry you did not enjoy The Caldon as much as many of us have and would have hoped you would have done too. It is such a shame when your long awaited holiday does not turn out to be quite what you were hoping for.

I personally have very fond memories of the canal and would dearly love to get back up there soon. I have found in the past that when I have returned to a canal for a second time it does not necessarily match my original feelings for it. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse. This can depend on a number of factors, the weather, the season, the ambience among the crew and possibly (although some would say probably) the mood I am in at the time.

I think it is such a shame that the opinions of many forum members led you to a place that did not live up to your expectations. I hope you will not hold it against us!

I bit off topic, but it's only the last 10 miles or so of the Llangollen canal that is in Wales! When we did it true to form it rained the whole time for the part in Wales. We will be doing it again this summer so I expect that to be the time that we get all the missing rain fall.

It's not as clear cut as that as it makes several border crossings, the last being at Chirk Aquaduct IIRC.

The Caldon is my favorite navigable canal BTW...

I'm very surprised to find someone not enjoying the Caldon, maybe the weather had something to do with it.

Even in winter most of it is lovely

Not over impressed by the Holly Bush I must admit.

Not over impressed by the Holly Bush I must admit.

Well it used to be one of my favourite canalside pubs, but then it was taken over by the British Waterways pub partnership with one of the big breweries (Scottish & Newcastle?). Nuff said............

Edited to add that you may just be referring to the Holly Bush at Stockton Brook, which is (was) awful, rather than the Hollybush at Denford (below the aqueduct), which I found last time to be good, but not as good as when it was privately owned. The tug'o'war apparatus and the menagerie of animals were still there, though.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Well it used to be one of my favourite canalside pubs, but then it was taken over by the British Waterways pub partnership with one of the big breweries (Scottish & Newcastle?). Nuff said............

Edited to add that you may just be referring to the Holly Bush at Stockton Brook, which is (was) awful, rather than the Hollybush at Denford (below the aqueduct), which I found last time to be good, but not as good as when it was privately owned. The tug'o'war apparatus and the menagerie of animals were still there, though.

I was referring to the one by the aqueduct, they don't even take Scottish money!

Lovin it - 'The Dog House' at Sprotbrough.....

IMG_1051.jpg

Lovin it - 'The Dog House' at Sprotbrough.....

IMG_1051.jpg

I moored in that exact spot 4(?) years ago. A few days later a huge tree was dumped where my boat had been, as the river flooded spectacularly. The pub opposite was flooded and filled with mud. Did you go up to the pub in the village (the Vine??)? Sitting on the terrace watching the cricket to the sound of church bells, drinking beer at £1.20 a pint - things couldn't get much better.

But this is straying from the Caldon a bit.....