A question

Ark Right

Featured Posts

Is this forum hell bent on self destruction by entertaining tripe and twaddle from newbies who are only here to stir the sh1t.

cheers.gif

A

It seems so to me.

But a lot of forums come through phases of being trolled and survive.

I have however noticed a recent distinct lack of posts from some long standing and generally well regarded members recently....read into that what you will...

That probably because the long standing and generally well regarded ... etc. etc. are either out boating, or at banters or doing important things to lovely boats that needs lots of attention. No time for Forums in the spring/summer praps??

i would agree with Martin every site goes through the stage until everyone realises that there is a troll amongst us and ignores them at which point they usually go and annoy another forum!

and yes Jo_ that is also probably the case.

Edited by hamsterfan

Is this forum hell bent on self destruction by entertaining tripe and twaddle from newbies who are only here to stir the sh1t.

cheers.gif

A

Whilst I'm not sure on the 'self-destruction' forecast - I do agree that that occasionally such troublemakers do appear.

I have been known to respond to them, unfortunately, but even less frequently have I responded continuously.

There has been an example today where a statement / rant was made that was completely untrue - and I chose to rebuff it and prove otherwise, I maintain for (mine own) good reason

That the OP has chosen to continue their broadside is of no interest to me whatsoever.

However, I have noticed that on various similar occasions where such threads have occurred, members have chosen to lighten the timbre of the original post with humour.

It is not unknown for such troublemakers to (virtually) stomp off, sulk, and seek other forums to cause their mischief

Edited by Grace & Favour

cheers.gif

A

Assuming you really mean that:

Is this forum - I don't think we act as a single body

hell bent on self destruction - I don't think so

by entertaining - what's the alternative? Squashing newbies reinforces the idea of there being a clique

tripe and twaddle - I'm partial to constructing a bit of that meself

from newbies - they're a pretty mixed bunch, like real people

who are only here to stir the sh1t - I think we only really have one active one like that at the moment. Hopefully he'll bugger off soon

And shit has an i in it*

Richard

*Pedantry at all times, dear heart

Granville, fetch yer cloth

• Greenie 1

That probably because the long standing and generally well regarded ... etc. etc. are either out boating, or at banters or doing important things to lovely boats that needs lots of attention. No time for Forums in the spring/summer praps??

There are a lot of the normally more active contributors actively out boating now.

This much is certainly true.

Howeever I can't say I have noticed in this period where I am taking part less that the tripe and twaddle, or indeed the shit-stiring, is significantly worse or better than at other randomly selected times from history, though.

As they say - "shit happens!".

cheers.gif

A

No, but interesting threads can be thin on the ground at times, and then threads such as you are talking about receive more attention than is warranted simply due to boredom. So just like we deserve the government we elect, we also deserve the forum we post on. If nobody responded to the tripe and twaddle those threads would die an instant death! Ont he other hand, on a rainy (snowy!) day a bit of tripe and twaddle passes the time much as EastBenders does, so long as we don't think it represents the real world!

Personally I like tekky threads and certainly the departure of Gibbo is a loss to that if only for his entertainingly forthright style (and I say that having been on the sharp end of it!)

cheers.gif

A

As a part time poster but long time boater , I find it bemusing at how some of the threads degenerate due to banter of the 'Older Wiser Members!'

To be fair , I see the OP's start post as one to start another thread bemoaning posts on the forum. Personally I'd rather read & post on actual BOATING topics rather than political / trolling / personal ones (Although after a few beers , I admit its hard not to comment sometimes .... :cheers: )

Such is this post I guess !..... Hopefully the River Soar will drop & allow me to actually go boating rather the 'Troll' the internet aboat boating :rolleyes:

Happy Days

cheers.gif

A

The threads started by trolls or go off on some unusual tangent are usually the longest and most viewed. Look at this one. :P:lol:

Guest wanted

As a newbie I am alarmed by this topic. Dare I ever ask another question ever again?

Please do! Periodically somebody turns up, adds a few weird posts and the get threads like this one in return. I personaly think the best way to deal with it is by either pointing out where the new member needs to think or ignoring it all together. The OP of this thread is falling into the understandible trap of thinking he wants control of the communities biggest discussion.

Please do! Periodically somebody turns up, adds a few weird posts and the get threads like this one in return. I personaly think the best way to deal with it is by either pointing out where the new member needs to think or ignoring it all together. The OP of this thread is falling into the understandible trap of thinking he wants control of the communities biggest discussion.

I only asked the question wink.gif

cheers.gif

A

who are only here to stir the sh1t - I think we only really have one active one like that at the moment. Hopefully he'll bugger off soon

Looks like I was right

Richard