Uninvited Guests

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

The other day I had got home before FTS at about 5 on a nice sunny evening. I was sitting quietly on the sofa with a cup of tea, when I heard the clonk, clonk of someone getting on to the boat. As I was expecting FTS home at first I though it was him, but when I looked up I saw a woman in a frilly dress sitting on our bow. This quickly assuaged any fears I could have had - I am open minded but you don't see a lot of burglars in pink flowery dresses!

So, I got up and went to speak to her. When she saw me emerge, she jumped off in a fright. Her friend had been taking a photo of her from the bank. I was pretty annoyed but didn't shout at her, just said, "Look, I don't mind if you want to take a picture, but please, ask first! This is my home!". She was extremely embarrassed, but had the cheek to say "I didn't think anyone was home", when she had not made any attempt to check this. I really wouldn't have minded had she knocked and asked politely. In fact I am more than happy to answer tourists questions about life on board when I'm in a good mood. It was the sheer lack of respect for the fact that my boat is private property that got me - she didn't knock, just jumped on the bow! I don't expect she knew that people live on the boats, as she was Chinese, but you wouldn't climb onto someone's car and have your picture taken either.

Anyone else had this happen? If it had been at night I'd have been much more scared and would have resorted to the 'headtorch, hammer and mooring pin' strategy along with a few choice expletives!

It has happened to me a few times. The (rather loud) horn on my boat is located on the the bulkhead of the front cabin and a long blast usually gets an instant reaction and spoilt photo shoots!!

It is interesting that you should mention the Chinese. Last September we were in Hangzhou. The West Lake there is a famous tourist destination. We watched dozens of young Chinese girls climb over the barriers so that their partners could take photos of them stood on the front decks of trip boats. They could have paid a few RMB to take their women on a romantic trip on the lake, but the Chinese seem not to have got to grips with etiquette whilst encompassing western culture. But mobile phones and cameras are essential accessories and have to be used at all times!

I have a quick Chinese story. We were visiting the Lake District. Lovely place. Thought how great it would be to have a meal in the hotel on the lake. I went in and fell over when I saw the prices, so I asked if it was possible for us to sit on the sofa in the foyer and have some tea. No problem they said. I told the kids to behave, and we all sat their trying to look "acceptable". Next minute a guy in bowtie and tails arrives, with a wheelie trolley, with 4 cups of tea and a bowl of chocolate nuts. I thought..."thats a bit over the top", and told the guy we would pour our own tea and he neednt worry. Off he went. Next the kids needed the toilet so I took them to the mens, only to find that all the appliances were gold plated. It was 5 star. I forced every kid to go to the toilet to experience the luxury :) After all finally finishing our tea, I went to pay the bill. I almost collapsed when I realised it was £16....for 4 cups of tea!..Anyway....paid it with a smile, and as we were leaving, a tour bus arrived. Full of Chinese guests. Lucky people :)

The other tricks with people taking pictures is:

A discreet middle finger

Pulling the back of your trousers down so they get a bare arse

Leave something "hanging out" Nb not to be done when kids are about!

We can't really stop them taking pics but we can make them wish they hadn't

ETA I have also ask what time the next trip will be when passing through London and then having to try to explained we are not a trip boat.

1) Tell them it's in an hour's time and they should come back then.

2) Explain that they should pay now to reserve their place, relieve them of £15 fare each.

3) Bugger off with all speed.

This reminds me of a conversation we once had while moored in Skipton on a hire boat not far from where the trip boat departs.

I was on the cruiser stern using my lappy so I guess the lady thought I was working and asked me how much it cost to hire and I gave her the price (bear in mind this was a 9 berth boat in August).

She nearly had apoplexy and then I twigged she thought we were the trip boat and she was enquiring about an hours trip....

This reminds me of a conversation we once had while moored in Skipton on a hire boat not far from where the trip boat departs.

I was on the cruiser stern using my lappy so I guess the lady thought I was working and asked me how much it cost to hire and I gave her the price (bear in mind this was a 9 berth boat in August).

She nearly had apoplexy and then I twigged she thought we were the trip boat and she was enquiring about an hours trip....

...or the chap on the hire boat sharing a lock with me who asked if Fellows Morton and Clayton was a good firm to hire fromlaugh.gif.

...or the chap on the hire boat sharing a lock with me who asked if Fellows Morton and Clayton was a good firm to hire fromlaugh.gif.

We had that on the Norfolk Broads.

"O I have not heard of Sealine before. Are they expensive to hire?" :lol:

Became a standing joke for a long while :cheers:

I have a quick Chinese story. We were visiting the Lake District. Lovely place. Thought how great it would be to have a meal in the hotel on the lake. I went in and fell over when I saw the prices, so I asked if it was possible for us to sit on the sofa in the foyer and have some tea. No problem they said. I told the kids to behave, and we all sat their trying to look "acceptable". Next minute a guy in bowtie and tails arrives, with a wheelie trolley, with 4 cups of tea and a bowl of chocolate nuts. I thought..."thats a bit over the top", and told the guy we would pour our own tea and he neednt worry. Off he went. Next the kids needed the toilet so I took them to the mens, only to find that all the appliances were gold plated. It was 5 star. I forced every kid to go to the toilet to experience the luxury :) After all finally finishing our tea, I went to pay the bill. I almost collapsed when I realised it was £16....for 4 cups of tea!..Anyway....paid it with a smile, and as we were leaving, a tour bus arrived. Full of Chinese guests. Lucky people :)

Come on now, that wasn't a quick Chinese story. That was more a quick story about you and your family having a rather expensive cup of tea in a 5 star hotel, with the story ending with a bus full of chinese folk turning up.

If we had been talking about busses, would that have been your quick bus story?

;)

Edited by Gazboatman
  • Greenie 2

Well I must say I'm at a loss to understand some of the coments on here.

To the OP - you're in Cambridge, what the heck do you expect? Rather the 8th Peking mounted Cycle brigade paying a passing interest in your life than the drunks and druggies who hang out on Jesus Green and the town for me any day.

As someone alluded to above, those liveaboards and indeed owners have chosen a lifestyle that not a lot of people are familiar with hence their interest in whipping out a camera when they happen to chance upon you going through a lock. If you find that upsetting or rude then perhaps you should try and man up a bit, smile keep calm and carry on. Remember these people who may never have seen a boat before in real life might just be the ones who'll put into our charity box when the time comes. They are more likely to do that if their experience is a pleasant one rather than some grumpy old fuffer who didn't like then taking a piccy of their boat.

Finally to the berk cleaning his rifle in full view of everyone. You FAC? Not for long methinks if your FEO reads this. Christ shooting is hard enough in this country without prats like you using your rifles as some veiled threat to Joe public.

Boondock

• Greenie 3

They do boat hire :-

These boat trips are run by Fellows, Morton & Clayton Ltd, Canal Street, Stourbridge, West Midlands DY8 4LU

:)

To the OP - you're in Cambridge, what the heck do you expect? Rather the 8th Peking mounted Cycle brigade paying a passing interest in your life than the drunks and druggies who hang out on Jesus Green and the town for me any day.

As someone alluded to above, those liveaboards and indeed owners have chosen a lifestyle that not a lot of people are familiar with hence their interest in whipping out a camera when they happen to chance upon you going through a lock. If you find that upsetting or rude then perhaps you should try and man up a bit, smile keep calm and carry on. Remember these people who may never have seen a boat before in real life might just be the ones who'll put into our charity box when the time comes. They are more likely to do that if their experience is a pleasant one rather than some grumpy old fuffer who didn't like then taking a piccy of their boat.

Finally to the berk cleaning his rifle in full view of everyone. You FAC? Not for long methinks if your FEO reads this. Christ shooting is hard enough in this country without prats like you using your rifles as some veiled threat to Joe public.

Boondock

Well said. Every word.

I've moored on Jubilee Gardens (the bit of Jesus Green where the druggies hang out) and never had any trouble from them - they can be a little noisy but they've certainly never attempted to board without asking! I'm more than happy for Chinese people to take an interest in my lifestyle and have had many enjoyable chats in the past with tourists. It's just the getting on my boat without asking thing that bugs me!

Edited by Black Ibis

Boondock

At what point did I say full view? IF you were to actually see said rifle, your face would be pushed up against my window.

Oh and please refrain from callIng me a berk, I find it awfully offensive

Had locals and tourists "visit" the boat and also asking the usual questions regarding cold in winter and council tax.

But I'll watch people being photographed standing next to Ferraris and other supercars parked in central Edinburgh, so it's the same sort of harmless curiosity that motivates.

Come on now, that wasn't a quick Chinese story. That was more a quick story about you and your family having a rather expensive cup of tea in a 5 star hotel, with the story ending with a bus full of chinese folk turning up.

If we had been talking about busses, would that have been your quick bus story?

;)

LOL! Sorry for hijacking the thread :)

:cheers:

I agree with what someone said about smiling at the cameras...and making it a great experience for the gongoozlers.

Edited by DeanS

I often wonder if a minor 'domestic' between the Dog House Skipper and the first mate ever got caught on camera or video.

We were in the midst of 'disagreeing' about the best way of getting the bow past the bottom gates in a short lock when I noticed the lock-side high above was teeming with gongoozlers - it must have added to the entertainment value for them... :lol:

too many 'thes' edit.

Edited by MJG

At what point did I say full view? IF you were to actually see said rifle, your face would be pushed up against my window.

This bit (my bold)....

I find that stripping and cleaning rifles with the curtains open makes people not want to approach the boat. As did the rabbits hanging in the cratch whilst going up BOA lock, that one made kids cry

The impression you are giving is that by cleaning your rifles in view of the general public you are giving a clear "stay away" message, ie before you get your nose pressed up against my window. As you are stripping the rifle I presume it's a straight pull then?

Boondock

How does your FAC work on a boat ?

Its something I'm concerned about when we go full time CC.

If you move into another force's area are you not supposed to notify the local force ? (could be a bit of a hassle when on a CC)

Security - another question - presumably a standard cabinet(s) welded to the hull is satisfactory but what about access / vulnerability of the boat itself ?

My local FEO wants be to get barred windows on the house and a directly linked alarm if I go above 12 rifles

lewiseric, NEVER, NEVER go through Camden Locks on a midsummer afternoon, you be responsible for the deaths of thousands!!!!

Or bingley 5 rise on a bank holiday...

the deep locks mean theres not too much chance of a 'boarding party' but you risk sweeping entire families into oblivion just trying to open the gates... thats after you've cleared the grannies, aunties and kids off the conveniently placed wooden bench things attached to the gates...

not sure this makes for the best boater/gongoozler interface but I agree we should try to be a good public face for the canals...

Or bingley 5 rise on a bank holiday...

the deep locks mean theres not too much chance of a 'boarding party' but you risk sweeping entire families into oblivion just trying to open the gates... thats after you've cleared the grannies, aunties and kids off the conveniently placed wooden bench things attached to the gates...

not sure this makes for the best boater/gongoozler interface but I agree we should try to be a good public face for the canals...

Don't be too sure - this young man was desperate to get on board to ride down with us in 2009 and was pleading with his mam and dad to ask us if he could..

6835_137938276699_673286699_3077206_1966735_n.jpg

Guess who ended up in the front cockpit with Jan!

6835_137938296699_673286699_3077210_722759_n.jpg

Edited by MJG

How does your FAC work on a boat ?

Its something I'm concerned about when we go full time CC.

If you move into another force's area are you not supposed to notify the local force ? (could be a bit of a hassle when on a CC)

Security - another question - presumably a standard cabinet(s) welded to the hull is satisfactory but what about access / vulnerability of the boat itself ?

My local FEO wants be to get barred windows on the house and a directly linked alarm if I go above 12 rifles

Not sure where I said I was FAC...........

I surrendered mine when we got the boat as I didn't want the risk. It is do able though and I believe there is a boat with a built in gun safe.

I am not FAC but still comply to the storage guidelines. Rifles are also logged with various forces in this area.

I think to have FAC on a ccing boat you need a contact address to register the rifles at and so they can contact you to find out where you are for a visit Ect

Boondock

Greenie :cheers:

Greenie :cheers:

When I went upto Trent Bridge on 'Oops' there was this little girl with her mum, she was only about 7yrs of age and saying to her mum I want a go on that boat!....We was going through a lock so I got off and said to them both 'would you like to both come through the lock with us?' The smile on her daughters face was a picture.....

Her mum couldnt thank us enough...as they got off the other side, I heard her daughter say to her mum 'Mummy can we get a boat? I loved that'

Bless...I love to make people and kids smile...They smile it makes me smile, no point in being miserable buggars!!!