Uninvited Guests

Black Ibis

Featured Posts

Not sure where I said I was FAC...........

I surrendered mine when we got the boat as I didn't want the risk. It is do able though and I believe there is a boat with a built in gun safe.

I am not FAC but still comply to the storage guidelines. Rifles are also logged with various forces in this area.

I think to have FAC on a ccing boat you need a contact address to register the rifles at and so they can contact you to find out where you are for a visit Ect

Sorry to appear a bit dim but unless you are an RFD how do you have rifles (logged with the various forces.....) without an FAC.

Are they de-acts ? (in which case I dont understand the need to log them with the various forces)

The other day I had got home before FTS at about 5 on a nice sunny evening. I was sitting quietly on the sofa with a cup of tea, when I heard the clonk, clonk of someone getting on to the boat. As I was expecting FTS home at first I though it was him, but when I looked up I saw a woman in a frilly dress sitting on our bow. This quickly assuaged any fears I could have had - I am open minded but you don't see a lot of burglars in pink flowery dresses!

So, I got up and went to speak to her. When she saw me emerge, she jumped off in a fright. Her friend had been taking a photo of her from the bank. I was pretty annoyed but didn't shout at her, just said, "Look, I don't mind if you want to take a picture, but please, ask first! This is my home!". She was extremely embarrassed, but had the cheek to say "I didn't think anyone was home", when she had not made any attempt to check this. I really wouldn't have minded had she knocked and asked politely. In fact I am more than happy to answer tourists questions about life on board when I'm in a good mood. It was the sheer lack of respect for the fact that my boat is private property that got me - she didn't knock, just jumped on the bow! I don't expect she knew that people live on the boats, as she was Chinese, but you wouldn't climb onto someone's car and have your picture taken either.

Anyone else had this happen? If it had been at night I'd have been much more scared and would have resorted to the 'headtorch, hammer and mooring pin' strategy along with a few choice expletives!

No? A friend returned to his vehicle at a classic car show to find a couple busy dropping the hood on his Morris Minor tourer so that they could take photos of their kids sitting in it....

This bit (my bold)....

The impression you are giving is that by cleaning your rifles in view of the general public you are giving a clear "stay away" message, ie before you get your nose pressed up against my window. As you are stripping the rifle I presume it's a straight pull then?

Boondock

I think you're taking it well too seriously - I'm sure it was meant as a half hearted joke - get a life!

Also, if those people have 'never before seen a boat in their life' then they need to get a life rather than taking pictures of me! How the hell you can live in england and never see a narrowboat before at the age of 30+ or even see a boat anywhere in the world at 30+ .....not really my problem. Take a chill pill and dont let the heat in these metal tins that we call home get to you so much, and please DONT condescend to me again

Edited by lewisericeric

Sorry to appear a bit dim but unless you are an RFD how do you have rifles (logged with the various forces.....) without an FAC.

Are they de-acts ? (in which case I dont understand the need to log them with the various forces)

Simple legal limit air rifles, its called being responsible. Should they get stolen, the police already have the numbers. Plus when I ring the ops room to let them know I'm starting a shoot, they know what I've got ( I'm quite the regular with them). Most forces welcome it too, I also let them know what county I'm in.

I've even been lucky enough to have a visit to make sure they are stored within the law

How do you time it so that you are cleaning your guns at the same time as people are thinking of having a nose?

Always a bank holiday lol

And how can you clean the rifle while stripping at the same time? Is it some kind of burlesque thing?

All in the timing, I'm still working on the act

it's not only boats where people invade your privacy. we have a house in wales and we often eat outside in the front garden to enjoy the sea view and have had people coming to look at our meal and asking if there is a menu! and i won't mention the time they were filming 2 doors away and we had half the world in the garden looking at the action.

it's not only boats where people invade your privacy. we have a house in wales and we often eat outside in the front garden to enjoy the sea view and have had people coming to look at our meal and asking if there is a menu! and i won't mention the time they were filming 2 doors away and we had half the world in the garden looking at the action.

Also had similar problems in our old house, coppers said I wasn't allowed to walk around my front garden with my man bag out as it was distressing for the public.

Joking aside, it happens everywhere. The only real time I get a tad upset is when people like to include my boy in pics, ignoring my bluster, I'm quite tollerant(sic).

Oh and when bystanders get in my way at locks!

Oh and when bystanders get in my way at locks!

Often though they just don't realise they are in the way - it usually just needs a polite 'can I ask you to stand over there while I open/shut this gate/operate this paddle.

I don't think anybody needs to get upset TBH.

Often though they just don't realise they are in the way - it usually just needs a polite 'can I ask you to stand over there while I open/shut this gate/operate this paddle.

I don't think anybody needs to get upset TBH.

Yeah......... Forgot the cheeky smiley there didn't I

Yeah......... Forgot the cheeky smiley there didn't I

The problem we sometimes have is with the balance beams on the big electric gates with the risk of sweeping somebody off the lock side into the cut - it's compounded by us not always having a clear view from where one operates the gates....you really do have to do a double take to make sure nobody has wandered up to the gate unseen.