how much to charge

dylan7

Featured Posts

Hi Folks

Can any one tell us the amount we could charge to hire our 2005 50ft narrow boat for about 4 months from April to July

Our boat is a two berth full live aboard.

You will be very strongly advised to get business insurance for your boat (otherwise it will be uninsured - - - and you don't want the hirers to have a 'prang' - even if it's someone else's fault - and then sue you for damages (it can get extremely expensive)

You should also get a business licence from BW (if you are on BW waters)

Whilst you may think that I'm scaremongering - - it would be a terrible shame if someone wrecked your boat - you lost it - and then they 'did you' for damages!

Insurance ?

Commercial BSS ?

I'll have a large popcorn and an Orange Fanta whilst waiting for the main event to start.

Hire boat license? Inform insurer and BW?

To the OP - If I were you, I'd get this thread taken down. Generally you can only lend your boat to family and close friends and ask enough to cover costs. Otherwise, you have a hire boat with all the trouble that comes with that. Publicising it on an internet forum may cause you trouble when BW check out Joanme...

To do it informally, well - there are lots of hire boat companies out there with websites and prices

Richard

Edited by RLWP

You will be very strongly advised to get business insurance for your boat (otherwise it will be uninsured - - - and you don't want the hirers to have a 'prang' - even if it's someone else's fault - and then sue you for damages (it can get extremely expensive)

You should also get a business licence from BW (if you are on BW waters)

Whilst you may think that I'm scaremongering - - it would be a terrible shame if someone wrecked your boat - you lost it - and then they 'did you' for damages!

In reality, this is nearly impossible to do. For instance, where are your policies for rubbish disposal, car parking, hand-over? Where is your commercial mooring? Without these, you don't get a BW business license

Richard

That's how I feel when you receive a phone call at 2 in the morning complaining that the taps are spluttering and further investigation reveals that they 'missed' the bit in the handover about filling the water tank.

Nope - -- it was Brian's line

"Que Sera, Sera", dum dum, Whatever will cease to be, to be ........

ok i give up thanks for all your help

Just in case you still think it is a good idea, do a search on CWDF for N/B "Que Sera"

Edited by Tam & Di

Hi Folks

Can any one tell us the amount we could charge to hire our 2005 50ft narrow boat for about 4 months from April to July

Our boat is a two berth full live aboard.

Probably significantly less than it would cost you to LEGALLY hire your boat out for those 4 months.

Just in case you still think it is a good idea, do a search on CWDF for N/B "Que Sera"

Search found nothing. :unsure:

Hire boat license? Inform insurer and BW?

To the OP - If I were you, I'd get this thread taken down. Generally you can only lend your boat to family and close friends and ask enough to cover costs. Otherwise, you have a hire boat with all the trouble that comes with that. Publicising it on an internet forum may cause you trouble when BW check out Joanme...

Probably too late. Can I have some badgers noses please, extra salt. Ta :lol:

Edited by debbifiggy

Popcorn, fanta, Larks' tongues. Otters' noses. Ocelot spleens, wrens' livers, badgers' spleens

Less of the spleens please :o

Ocelot needs all of the spleens she has :P

Baldock's line , I think

Richard

I think he gave up the rights when the change was made to 'ChrisB' ;)

I think he gave up the rights when the change was made to 'ChrisB' ;)

And that particular gem was inscribed WHERE in the tome containing the laws and regulations of the Bar in all its forms and regurgancies ???

A change of name don't change nuffink......

Chris-B

• Greenie 1

In fact it's so difficult to hire boats that you just don't see them anywhere...

to the OP, yes it is eminently possible to hire your boat, you need the additional paperwork and access to facilities (facilities are needed only if you are doing weekly rather than long term hire) mentioned here as well as a good head for customer relations.

As to how much you should charge. if it's by the week then anything up to £1000 seems to be the norm but depends on the number of berths.

if you're thinking of renting for the full four months then you could get £500 per month but be prepared to reduce this if you want an easy ride from your tenants.

Sometimes I wonder what this forum is about - two pages of just saying "nah mate" to something that is a standard of the waterways. If you haven't anything to say then keep your mouths shut.

• Greenie 3

In fact it's so difficult to hire boats that you just don't see them anywhere...

to the OP, yes it is eminently possible to hire your boat, you need the additional paperwork and access to facilities (facilities are needed only if you are doing weekly rather than long term hire) mentioned here as well as a good head for customer relations.

As to how much you should charge. if it's by the week then anything up to £1000 seems to be the norm but depends on the number of berths.

if you're thinking of renting for the full four months then you could get £500 per month but be prepared to reduce this if you want an easy ride from your tenants.

Sometimes I wonder what this forum is about - two pages of just saying "nah mate" to something that is a standard of the waterways. If you haven't anything to say then keep your mouths shut.

Of course folks hire out their boats .. .

And Dylan still may - -

But, should the worst happen, and his boat be damaged - or a third party be damaged, then I'm sure he would appreciate the simple advice of "yeah - of course you can mate" - which as far as advice goes - is unbalanced, incomplete and as such is wholly irresponsible.

• Greenie 4

Of course folks hire out their boats .. .

And Dylan still may - -

But, should the worst happen, and his boat be damaged - or a third party be damaged, then I'm sure he would appreciate the simple advice of "yeah - of course you can mate" - which as far as advice goes - is unbalanced, incomplete and as such is wholly irresponsible.

well try this;

"yeah - of course you can mate (he's not my mate) lot's of people do - there's a few things you need to consider; BSS, hire boat licence etc etc."

I would call that helpful.

...schoolboy crap about popcorn etc is not.

...and if you want to warn of the dangers, by all means do so. I would consider it polite to answer his serious request with a serious answer.

but judging by the OP's last post before going off in disgust he considers this thread to be the preserve of a right load of rude and ignorant twats.

Edited to add: I do see, to your credit that you did give reasonable advice before getting swept away by the childish mob. You should try harder not to be so easily led.

Edited by Chris Pink