CART ELECTION RESULTS

c c

Featured Posts

That's right, plus Ann Farrell from the HNBOC got the last one.

Sue Cawson was the HNBC candidate. Ann Farrell is Vice Commodore of Nantwich Boat Club, and volunteers for the IWA. She also speaks Latin.

Sue Cawson was the HNBC candidate. Ann Farrell is Vice Commodore of Nantwich Boat Club, and volunteers for the IWA. She also speaks Latin.

My mistake - it was the Saturn connection she shares with Sue Cawson

Disappointing. Still, one of the people I voted for got in. Just not my number 1 (or 2, or 3!) choice.

Just goes to show that "whoever you vote for the government will get in". Sorry, did I say government? I meant IWA :banghead:

Turn -out was low wasn't it?

Not surprised at all - it wasn't unusual to talk to people who had no idea that the election was on. Lots of people don't vote, because they don't think that it will make any difference. Some people thought it was about local council elections.

It's a great shame that a number of eminently suitable candidates didn't get through.

Nonetheless, those who have been elected are there to represent all of us boaters, and NOT just to act on behalf of whichever organisation they originally belonged to.

Best we keep them busy.

Its interesting to note tho, that out of the 100 s of millions of members, all of whom are boating fanatics, the chairman of the IWA only got 768 votes.

Theres a message about apathy there somewhere.

Well done to all the independants.

Now onwards and upwards, someone needs to hold our elected representatives to account, I suspect the IWA wont be in a hurry to do so.

Its interesting to note tho, that out of the 100 s of millions of members, all of whom are boating fanatics, the chairman of the IWA only got 768 votes.

Theres a message about apathy there somewhere.

Well done to all the independants.

Now onwards and upwards, someone needs to hold our elected representatives to account, I suspect the IWA wont be in a hurry to do so.

Remember it was boat licence holders only who got to vote. The vast majority of IWA members had no say in this election.

Commiserations Alan: it would have been good to have an online voice on the Council.

Having entered the election, the electors have chosen whom they most favoured and the rest of us will just have to cry into our beer.

I am grateful to all those who voted, and particularly the 236 whose votes ended with me. I thought the turnout was good.

...someone needs to hold our elected representatives to account, I suspect the IWA won't be in a hurry to do so....

I agree with the first bit, and I for one will be interested in how well we are all represented on the new body. Just as an example here we have published the output from a workshop jointly organised by C&RT and IWA in late Feb, with a large number of diverse waterway organisations. I had a prior bellringing appointment, so couldn't attend, but all those I have spoken to found it very constructive.

Remember it was boat licence holders only who got to vote. The vast majority of IWA members had no say in this election.

Not sure that is strictly true ?

I'm sure it has been reported that at least 4,000 (and some have said more), are BW licence holders who could have voted.

I'm surprised that it wasn't more of a run-away result than it was.

The vast majority of IWA members had no say in this election.

Do the IWA know how many of their members are boaters? I doubt they do. I certainly know a number of active IWA members that don't own boats.

I'm also surprised by the low number of total voters. I expect this is why the IWA did so well. Those IWA members that do own boats would have been more aware of the the election and more motivated to vote.

Not surprised at all - it wasn't unusual to talk to people who had no idea that the election was on. Lots of people don't vote, because they don't think that it will make any difference. Some people thought it was about local council elections.

It would seem there are a lot boaters that don't take much interest in how the waterways are run, or perhaps they just don't care!

Commiserations Alan: it would have been good to have an online voice on the Council.

Having entered the election, the electors have chosen whom they most favoured and the rest of us will just have to cry into our beer.

I am grateful to all those who voted, and particularly the 236 whose votes ended with me. I thought the turnout was good.

Thank you Peter,

Several of us at some point have had to handle a degree of hostility, and I thought you did so with the same good grace as you are still displaying now.

I know from comments I saw made by you elsewhere that you feared a much smaller turnout. My gut feel settled to the 25% to 30% mark, so on that, at least, I got it right!

I'm sure it has been reported that at least 4,000 (and some have said more), are BW licence holders who could have voted.

I don't doubt that 4,000 IWA members are BW licence holders (and I will admit I am one of them, but I did vote for you Alan), but surely the IWA membership runs to a much larger figure that this, and the 4,000 would be a minority in the IWA's overall membership. I don't have any figures, so stand to be corrected.

It was a runaway victory for IWA, Alan.

As some will recall, BW put up 4 candidates. Then Peter Scott came along making it five. Peter, said there were others and sure enough the five became nine when IWA published the names of four members (rather than trustees) who were also standing.

One of those four was Ann Farrell.

What is perhaps surprising was that she was voted in rather than AWCC's official candidate who was also one of the IWA members.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Well none of the people we voted for got in, and we are less than impressed with those who were elected. We ran through the candidtaes schedule and all those elected had a negative comment alongside, so we are less than happy with the outcome.

Thinking about it I think that Alan, Dave, Peter, Andy, et al are probably well out of it, but I do think it might be a good idea if, perhaps, a couple of the failed candidates kept a watchfull eye on the Council, and advised us if things are not being approached in the best interest of boaters. We could then form our own hybrid Boater's 38 degrees and give them hell if they do not represent boaters in the way we think they should. It has worked with the Govb=ernment so why not a bit of people power on the Waterways?

• Greenie 2