Markets and market towns on the cut.

Burgiesburnin

Featured Posts

The Fox at Hanwell has a farmers market on some Saturdays, and the beer and food in the pub is worth the visit as well.

http://www.thefoxpub.co.uk/market.html

And in the warmer months there is a boot sale in Boston Manor park on the first Saturday of every month. Although I am told that I wont be allowed to go to it this summer unless I am selling some of the tat that i bought last year !

Anyone got copies of Carole Sampsons First Mate guides? Lots listed there. Bristol has fruit & veg market on Sunday mornings with meat and other stuff but not sure how near to the river it is.

Sue

Yes I have but the London parts for most of the canal maps and guide books are sorely lacking, they miss some real gems. Don't dash through London like everyone else does, you're missing out!

Yes I have but the London parts for most of the canal maps and guide books are sorely lacking, they miss some real gems. Don't dash through London like everyone else does, you're missing out!

Yep, I urge people to get a little of the track and spend some money in Shepherds Bush Market, they are fighting hard against the might of redevelopment and the westfield mothership. It's only a 15 min trip from Kensel rise so no reason not to......

And whilst youre there nip onto goldhawk road for some traditional pie and mash at Cookies and see how many bits you can spot from quadraphenia.

Edited by wanted

Oxford Market 'next the bus station - I couldn't find which days it's open on a qulck search

Oxfoed covered market - but that's not really a market in the sense of the word

East Oxford Farmer's market every Saturday - bit of a treck from the River

Shepherds bush market was always a good place to go for cheap fabric (I lived in Ladbroke Grove for four years)

And still is, also fruit and veg, cook ware and the best falafal this side of palistine. :cheers:

Leighton Buzzard market every weds and saturday and then every third saturday of the month the farmers market comes along.

its not huge but there is some great deals there, especially on the farmers market.

Plus you have the shops and anything you have missed you can nip to Tesco..

Do you mind idf I move this to Living Afloat?

Nick

Hi Nick, I wouldn't

Mind at all but maybe this warrants it's own section?

Do you mind idf I move this to Living Afloat?

Nick

Hi Nick, I wouldn't

Mind at all but maybe this warrants it's own section?

Does anyone know of a list of markets that are within easy access of the cut?

If there isn't such a list then maybe we could start one that could show markets and the days that they are on and also car boot sales and flea markets.

It would be great if this was by canal and list the types of stuff on offer, maybe some kind of ratting system.

Here's a contentious one on the banks of the St Helen's Canal (Sanky Brook) car boot sale every Sunday morning in the multi storey car park on the banks of the Hotties.

Tontine market every day except Sunday

Kidderminster Thursdays and Saturdays. Not sure you'd want to moor there though!

Moorings, (pop in and overnight), are ok in Kidderminster between Tesco and Sainsbury's. Place has been tidied up a lot. Apart from the centre of Kiddy, wouldn't moor between Falling Sands and Wolverley Court locks. The markets do some good fruit & veg and meat.

Are not most 'markets' just dumping grounds for crap to naive fools? When we first moored our (previous) boat here, nearly 6 years ago, we heard a lot about Penkridge market but up until recently we were never here on the two days that it was open. Now we are here more often, we visited recently and were more than disappointed. It was mostly stalls all selling the same acrylic jumpers and poor quality tools and workwear. Even the fruit and veg was of very poor quality and expensive. Much better to go into Cannock and shop in proper shops especially one of the best greengrocers that I have ever been in. I agree, however about the wonderful Newark markets. Then anything about Newark is great.

Are not most 'markets' just dumping grounds for crap to naive fools? When we first moored our (previous) boat here, nearly 6 years ago, we heard a lot about Penkridge market but up until recently we were never here on the two days that it was open. Now we are here more often, we visited recently and were more than disappointed. It was mostly stalls all selling the same acrylic jumpers and poor quality tools and workwear. Even the fruit and veg was of very poor quality and expensive. Much better to go into Cannock and shop in proper shops especially one of the best greengrocers that I have ever been in. I agree, however about the wonderful Newark markets. Then anything about Newark is great.

Generally I agree, more and more we see the same old tat being peddled to unsuspecting tourists, but as with most things there are good un's about and I feel that they deserve my pound more then tescopoly.

Are not most 'markets' just dumping grounds for crap to naive fools?

Harrumphh!! I was a market trader for over 30 years, when markets were at their best. Many of the traders I knew are still struggling along, trying to make a living, but mostly forced off by the cut-price pound stores. I'm glad to hear some markets are going strong, including some I came across last summer, but many, including my local and former venue, are sadly depleted.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

Have you told Carole? She includes extra in the next edition & puts it on her website in the meantime

Bath has a farmer's market in Green Park Station (which is no longer an operational rail terminus). It's right next to the river, but you can't easily moor there. Moor at Avon Street (by the multi storey car park) and either walk along the river to Sainsbury, which is next door, or up Avon Street and Along James Street (?) to it.

If you find yourself moored further down near Windsor Bridge, Moorland Road has several good local shops, including Banable's the butchers, Stokes grocers, and Oldfield Park bookshop. They were our local shops for three years, and if I find myself in Bath I still drop in for the butchers, which incidentally provided the black pudding for the first Lapworth Banter

Ashton under Lyne Market, a ten minute walk from Portland Basin (Ashton/Peak Forest Canals).

Market Hall and Open Market open six days a week, Mon - Sat. (Open Market is Flea Market on Tuesdays). Open Market has monthly Farmers' Market one Sunday a month.

It is a good market, I agree. I bought the best bacon I've ever tasted in Ashton Under Lyne, not in the market, in one of the butchers shops, Lancashire Black Molasses Bacon. Amazing.