Crazy weather

Gazboatman

Featured Posts

Don't know which part of Leeds you're going to but be careful, I'm up near Skipton and the Aire's in flood up here so it must be really high farther downstream.

Dave

We are on the Aire and calder at whitley bridge and its lousy. Couldnt get off the side even if we wanted to. Luckily we can do what we want at the moment so we are staying put. I think the flood locks will be shut at Ferrybridge and Castleford anyway so cant get to our mooring at Woodlesford anyway.

Err....Ponty?

Sorry had problems with keys sticking on my keyboard earlier given it a clean and seams ok.

What I meant was even though you would have to be an idiot to take a boat out in this wind there are plenty of idiots about.

So does the pontcysyllte aqueduct close to boats in high winds ?

We've had some serious storms overhere, I'm moored on a canalised river, and last night was so wild that I was rocking about a lot, when I came up into the wheelhouse, there were waves on the river of about 1m high.

I've been a long time in this area, but have never seen waves as high here, the river is flowing pretty fast too, because of the rain storms higher upstream.

Peter.

On the South Oxford and that was definitely the worst night I have had in 18 months aboard.

Constant gusts of wind kept blowing out the diesel stove (luckily it's running well at the mo so the catalyst mesh immediately reignited it again) which emits lots of stinky smoke which then blows back in through the window.

4am rain sounded like the end of the world being beaten on the roof and then there was the constant bobbing about and squeaks against the fenders.

Oh and the bit of tree that fell off and hit the boat...

I just thank my lucky stars that the very dodgy tree near us changed into firewood just before xmas.

*yawn*

Im off to work, out in this lovely weather again..

No doubt people will ring up the office to complain there mail is wet..

My bike will probably fall over 3 million times, full of mail and parcels which will take me 5 mins everytime to pick the bleeding thing up..to the marvel of those looking out there windows in there lovely warm living rooms :angry:

And I will keep smiling while soaking wet out in the wind and rain - I love my job

A few years ago my sister-in-law lived in Greece. She mentioned to a neighbour that she'd been expecting a packet in the mail but it hadn't come.

Neighbour "Was it raining yesterday?"

S-i-L: "Yes"

Neighbour "Well that's why - he doesn't deliver when it's wet"

Will you be wearing Shorts?

Good god no!! I wear my snowboarding trousers as there warm and waterproof, some nutters are still wearing shorts though, then they wander why there off with flu :rolleyes:

A few years ago my sister-in-law lived in Greece. She mentioned to a neighbour that she'd been expecting a packet in the mail but it hadn't come.

Neighbour "Was it raining yesterday?"

S-i-L: "Yes"

Neighbour "Well that's why - he doesn't deliver when it's wet"

That is shocking!! Shame we dont have the same law here :(

Howling wind through the trees and wind blown waves down hear on the Thames near Staines, hearing the creak as the mooring ropes stretch to their limit and back against the wind and feeling the boat heave about slowly in the water. I sat in my chair by the fire and thought how magical it is to be so immersed in the wind and weather yet warm and cosy! slept like a log all night!

Andrew

I'm nearby and slept ok too - it's much worse up north.

Sorry had problems with keys sticking on my keyboard earlier given it a clean and seams ok.

What I meant was even though you would have to be an idiot to take a boat out in this wind there are plenty of idiots about.

So does the pontcysyllte aqueduct close to boats in high winds ?

I'm not an idiot, I have brought this boat all the way from Gloucester and I had four more miles to do to get it home, also I had a booked passage through a set of locks today which I have been waiting almost a week for. I'd have been an idiot If I'd left it where it was, in the middle of nowhere with a gypsy site next door.

We're still in Loughborough - the last of the banterers!! We left the boat here while we visited family in Kent for New Year and were planning to cruise back to Beeston Marina this week. Hmm not on your nellie in that weather! The dog joined us in bed for the first time ever (and I have to confess she's a damn good hot water bottle - about the same size as well :lol:)

On the shopping list are tyre fenders to stop that bump bump bump THUD that kept me awake for the last few nights.

Flood locks in operation now on the Soar so us river novices are in for a learning curve to get back to our base at Beeston.

Is all nice and calm now though :)

Anyway, I only managed to move the boat half a mile. The last obstacle inbetween me and my destination, an electric swing bridge decided it was not gonna work. Now waiting for them to dig the road up and restore the power..

.....more loikelly to be replacing the cables that have disappeared........