Boat BSC examiner, near Peak forest canal

Featured Posts

Our boat will be due for its BSC in a couple of months and trying to plan ahead. Can anyone recommend an examiner in the Peak forest / Derbyshire area?

Thanks

Frank

Guy Holding, Portland Basin Marina.

0161 330 3133

He's quite happy coming out to anywhere on the PF, reasonably priced, friendly and extremely helpful, and will offer you loads of free advice.

We always use him.

Guy Holding, Portland Basin Marina.

0161 330 3133

He's quite happy coming out to anywhere on the PF, reasonably priced, friendly and extremely helpful, and will offer you loads of free advice.

We always use him.

Great thanks. Will look him up when we're ready.

Well Rupert, your post could go one way or the other as I see it.

Either way I have a huge bucket of popcorn at the ready cheers.gif

I do hope that the popcorn will not be needed!

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

my post went! Only trying to be helpful.

Your post went because the OP asked for recommendations, not adverts from people seeking to promote themselves.

A couple of recommendations were posted by people who had used an examiner, and were happy with the service. Your self recommendation was very properly removed.

BTW, I wouldn't use you, on two grounds;

1) Your self promotion in a thread asking for recommendations

2) Your complete lack of awareness that using "BSc" as a postnominal is utterly naff, and indicative of somebody trying to gild his credentials.

Surely BSc is simply Bachelor of Science?

I cannot recommend any one BSS Examiner. Therefore, if asked I point to our website and search on the appropriate county. All examiners have the same training and competencies in regards to carrying out a BSS examination on a private (non-commercial/non-public use) boats.

I can say however that Rupert is a quietly spoken individual with a passion for the waterways and an interest in historic narrowboats amongst other things. I have enjoyed many of his articles for Waterways World.

I first came across him before he was an examiner, fund-raising with some doggedness for the Waterways Trust (if my memory is correct) at the London Boat Show.

Surely BSc is simply Bachelor of Science?

Indeed it is.

However, within acedemic circles, only the post nominal letters of higher degrees are appended to the name. Using the post nominals of a first degree is considered very poor form indeed.

• 1 year later...

Indeed it is.

However, within acedemic circles, only the post nominal letters of higher degrees are appended to the name. Using the post nominals of a first degree is considered very poor form indeed.

I didn't know that :) I'll stop using BSc Hons. and just use MBA.

Only resurrected as I am looking for a Boat Safety Examiner having not received a returned call from one I called on Friday. Perhaps he'll call tomorrow - but I'm now leaning towards Guy Holding, Rupert Smedley, or Peter Hopley.

Cheers,

Richard F. MBA :)

We used Ricky Tropman from Chesterfield. He did a survey and BSC all in one go. We were new to boating and he was very helpful in giving me lots of advice and tips about stuff I didn't know. Although we were in Loughborough at the time, he knew Furness Vale (where we are now) and I will use him next time, His details, pasted from my survey, are here ...

MARINE ENGINEERING SERVICES

Yacht and Small Craft Surveyors
Proprietors: Ricky Tropman & William Rosie
4 Crow Hill, Palterton, Chesterfield, S44 6UP
Tel: (01246) 240769 Mobile: 07887836754
E-Mail: rtropman@hotmail.co.uk

Indeed it is.

I didn't know that smile.png I'll stop using BSc Hons. and just use MBA.

Only resurrected as I am looking for a Boat Safety Examiner having not received a returned call from one I called on Friday. Perhaps he'll call tomorrow - but I'm now leaning towards Guy Holding, Rupert Smedley, or Peter Hopley.

Cheers,

Richard F. MBA smile.png

Oh! I think I'll go by OBE then. (Obese Boat Examiner) biggrin.png

I didn't know that smile.png I'll stop using BSc Hons. and just use MBA.

Cheers,

Richard F. MBA smile.png

Well, you already know my view of Mr Smedley, who seems to have a talent for self-promotion, rather than a queue of satisfied customers who want to recommend him.

Of the other two, I know who I would choose (indeed I do choose him!) if I wanted a thorough examination with helpful advice on things that I might want to do that are good practice but not vital to passing the examination.

I would suggest that you go through the examiners in the order that you have them.

I cannot recommend any one BSS Examiner. Therefore, if asked I point to our website and search on the appropriate county. All examiners have the same training and competencies in regards to carrying out a BSS examination on a private (non-commercial/non-public use) boats.

I can say however that Rupert is a quietly spoken individual with a passion for the waterways and an interest in historic narrowboats amongst other things. I have enjoyed many of his articles for Waterways World.

I first came across him before he was an examiner, fund-raising with some doggedness for the Waterways Trust (if my memory is correct) at the London Boat Show.

Well hopefully people will listen more to your opinion than the fatuous self-aggrandisment of Mr Mayall.

All examiners have the same training and competencies in regards to carrying out a BSS examination...

!!

Same training in BSS - possibly. Same level of competence - cloud cuckoo! All have reached the minimum competence level in an exam to gain their accreditation is what I think you mean!

• Greenie 1

Well hopefully people will listen more to your opinion than the fatuous self-aggrandisment of Mr Mayall.

How curious that you would adopt the attitude that if I recommend a supplier, people should automatically avoid that supplier in favour of others.

In which case, may I heartily recommend Chris Pink for all your guru-ing needs.

• Greenie 1

How curious that you would adopt the attitude that if I recommend a supplier, people should automatically avoid that supplier in favour of others.

In which case, may I heartily recommend Chris Pink for all your guru-ing needs.

Maybe you would be so good as to point me to where I have done that? All I can see in your pompous and over-weaning post #18 is a directive not to use someone for the crime of breaching the Mayall protocol for posting (are you one the new moderators then Dave?) and inappropriately using letters after his name (allegedly). I simply point out that your negation of his talents is contradicted by a far more authoritative source than you.

Much like your opinion of my professional skills.

Maybe you would be so good as to point me to where I have done that? All I can see in your pompous and over-weaning post #18 is a directive not to use someone for the crime of breaching the Mayall protocol for posting (are you one the new moderators then Dave?) and inappropriately using letters after his name (allegedly). I simply point out that your negation of his talents is contradicted by a far more authoritative source than you.

Much like your opinion of my professional skills.

I offered no opinion of his boat examinig talents or lack thereof of any individual. Then again, neither did the "far more authoritative source", who pointed out that all boat safety examiner have the same training and competencies.

Rob did offer his opinion as to whether that individual was a nice guy, but in terms of our relative judgement of whether somebody is a nice guy I would respectfully suggest that Rob is neither more nor less authoritative than I am.

When this thread started 18 months ago, I offered an opinion as to who is a helpful local examiner, which is I think an appropriate response to a request for recommendations. Others did likewise. One BSS examiner seemed to think that this was an invitation to advertise his services. I don't believe that advertising yourself is an appropriate response to a request for recommendations, and said so. (the advert was removed by the moderators BTW, so no I'm not a moderator - just reflecting the fact that the moderators DID feel that his advert was inappropriate).

I'm sure that he meets the required standard of competence. However when choosing an examiner, as all examiners meet that standard, I choose based on other criteria, one of which is how that individual interacts with his customers.

On that basis, I can heartily recommend one of the names that has been suggested.