Reporting from the Dark Side

KenK

Featured Posts

To cheer myself up on Monday morning I always take a look at NBW. This morning I see they are carrying stories that the IWA would like all four of the boating places on the CaRT council, Clive Henderson being one. The IWA I assume feel they represent all boaters or at least anyone who is not a member does not count.

NABO with less ambition or greed would like one.

Ken

I have posted this on other threads but will post it again as to me it sums up the arrogance of IWA members,it was a comment left on my website.

IWA are the only organisation that understand the system, if it was not for the IWA you would not be able to enjoy the canals today. IWA should be at the forefront of the new Trust and I hope everyone votes for IWA candidates to ensure the future of the system. What would any boater without the backing of an organisation such as the IWA be able to achieve?

link to comment LINK

Edited by cotswoldsman

It is already known I'm often not a great fan of much of what appears on Narrow Boat World.

But in this case, the article looks to be a good one, and I think expresses well the concerns of many that the IWA have the arrogance to assume it is to all boaters benefit to try and use their might to win every one of the only 4 electable "boater" places.

In this case anything that alerts as many possible potential voters to the situation is I think a good one, and it can't be said too often, so good to see it in NBW.

I am not anti-IWA, but I am very opposed to their actions in this matter.

Edited by alan_fincher

Alan I do agree with you on IWA fielding 4 candidates. As I have said us boaters and I guess the members from Canal Businesses are actually the only ones that will be paying money to CaRT this in my view means we have to ensure that the very small amount of members we have out of a council of 35 should be 100% committed to the interests of boaters, and in my view you and dave certainly meet that criteria. I am not anti IWA but never joined as I felt they did not represent my interests so can not see how they would represent my interests on the council. It really worries me that no one might actually represent my interests.

I should also say the the NBW view on this is good and find myself agreeing with their views........credit where credit is due!!!!!

I have posted this on other threads but will post it again as to me it sums up the arrogance of IWA members,it was a comment left on my website.

link to comment LINK

I used to be a stalwart of the IWA many years ago, branch committee member, clean up worker etc. Gradually over the years I have become more disillusioned with them. This was brought to a head in recent years when they were slow off the mark at the time that SOW got active (the Defra cuts), actively rubbished some of the things we (SOW) organised, such as the petition as a waste of paper and then (a senior IWA person) grabbed that very same petition to appear in the forefront of the photo shoot of it being presented as if they had organised it. I genuinely think they have lost their way and, now, certainly don't represent all boaters. If they went back to their core roots and aims then it could, again, be the organisation that it once was, but not as it is at the moment IMO.

Roger

The IWA make it quite clear, on their website that they don't represent boaters, they represent all waterways users.

They shouldn't have any of the spots reserved for single interest candidates.

I guess that is so and given these slots are for special interests then I tend to agree. However the IWA says it is "Campaigning for the use, maintenance and restoration of Britain's inland waterways" which is not a bad slogan and intent.

Seeing as CaRT is going to be a trust manging our waterways is there a place in this world for the IWA?

It seems to me that they have rather been overtaken by events and no longer have a useful purpose.

I dont count restoring wateways that we dont have the money to maintain as useful.

I dont count restoring wateways that we dont have the money to maintain as useful.

This is a problem that dates right back to the early days of the IWA when Aickman insisted on the preservation of all waterways, regardless of cost or viability, causing the expulsion, from the organisation, of Tom Rolt, SE Barlow, John Knill, Angela Rolt, Lord Lucan, John Gould, Charles Hadfield and Sonia Smith, who all favoured a more measured approach which would have preserved more than an "all or nothing" demand.

Imagine what the IWA could have become, if these folk had remained and Aikman had gone.

Seeing as CaRT is going to be a trust manging our waterways is there a place in this world for the IWA?

It seems to me that they have rather been overtaken by events and no longer have a useful purpose.

I agree. I am a member of the IWA at the minute but I shall have to consider my continued membership going forward in the light of CaRT. I assume they will have some kind of membership scheme themselves.

It is already known I'm often not a great fan of much of what appears on Narrow Boat World.

But in this case, the article looks to be a good one, and I think expresses well the concerns of many that the IWA have the arrogance to assume it is to all boaters benefit to try and use their might to win every one of the only 4 electable "boater" places.

In this case anything that alerts as many possible potential voters to the situation is I think a good one, and it can't be said too often, so good to see it in NBW.

I am not anti-IWA, but I am very opposed to their actions in this matter.

More recently (after the years of Aikman and Hutchens) the IWA have been more and more in with BW to the point of sometimes being a spokesman for their veiw and stopping their still hot headed members from rocking the boat - which lack of rocking tends to work to BWs advantage. 'And the Devil took him up to a high place and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and said 'All this will I give you if you worship me.'' :help:

More recently (after the years of Aikman and Hutchens) the IWA have been more and more in with BW to the point of sometimes being a spokesman for their veiw and stopping their still hot headed members from rocking the boat - which lack of rocking tends to work to BWs advantage. 'And the Devil took him up to a high place and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and said 'All this will I give you if you worship me.'' :help:

Every year the IWA holds an AGM at which time trustees come up for election, often unopposed. if you are all unhappy with the way IWA is run why not stand for election and change things.

The chairman is elected by the trustees so if enough trustees feel that way he can be changed as well.

To cheer myself up on Monday morning I always take a look at NBW. This morning I see they are carrying stories that the IWA would like all four of the boating places on the CaRT council, Clive Henderson being one. The IWA I assume feel they represent all boaters or at least anyone who is not a member does not count.

NABO with less ambition or greed would like one.

Ken

I wonder where they got all their facts and information from............................................. ;)

I wonder where they got all their facts and information from............................................. ;)

From the IWA website I suspect, I checked and they are indeed putting forward those candidates. Who will represent all boaters <_<

Ken

Clearly the IWA tactics are not going to be to the benefit of boaters if they claim to represent all waterways users, i.e. the anglers, cyclists, walkers etc. as well as the minority boaters. How will our magazines report this? Richard?

As a liveaboard and Continuous CRUISER (well mostly) I am pretty horrified at the prospect of the IWA representing boaters.

Earlier this year BW employed an "independent consultant" to produce a summary of the various contributions to the River Lee mooring consultation.

You can (or could) download this from the BW website.

(If you can't find it and would like a copy then PM me with an email address because I did download it!)

Most of the contributions were surprisingly constructive.

But here is one from the IWA:........

"British Waterways should work with local authorities to increase parking restrictions and tow away or clamp cars that were parked for long periods next to high-use areas of the waterways."

Is this in the interest of any boaters...please do not vote for the IWA candidates!!!!

...........Dave

I Have only done one WRG camp..

One of the regular WRG folk recalled an experience at the national this year where a dog shat by an IWA stand. Am IWA chap On said stand called over the radio for a WRG volunteer to come and clear it up..

I think the IWA blokes name was Napoleon...