BCN 24 Hour Challenge 2012

Capt Ahab

Featured Posts

I was thinking about investigating this place The Black Country Arms

I've never been to Walsall (don't tell me, I know, I haven't lived until I have) but it appears to be just on the other side of the railway station from the basin.

SAM

That looks better, a ten minute walk. Does it do food?

Richard

That looks better, a ten minute walk. Does it do food?

Richard

Yes indeedy, but only until 3pm on a Sunday, so I'll need to operate with more than my usual somnolence. Or visit a chippy.

I note from the menu on their website that they're a bit stingy with the mushroom in their stroganoff. I shan't be having that, then.

I note from the menu on their website that they're a bit stingy with the mushroom in their stroganoff. I shan't be having that, then.

Only four mushrooms..................................could be biguns I suppose.

Cue Two Ronnies, 'four candles' and so on. :lol:

I've sent an email to the BCNS, John Carrington and Julie Hodge of the Truman Enterprise Narrowboat Trust

I'm not sure that I am being understood on this matter, so I thought I would try to explain it from a BCN competitor's point of view, and see if I can put something constructive into this for the future

Team Tawny Owl's BCN Challenge will start sometime around 5:00pm on Friday night with a move to our overnight mooring. Saturday will start around 6:00am with a positioning move to our start, ready for the 9:00am off. Saturday will usually finish around 10:00pm

Sunday will start around 4:00am and boating will end (hopefully) at 2:00pm at the Town Basin

At the end of this, crew members are tired, hungry and thirsty. What we are looking for is somewhere to eat, drink, relax and have a chance to meet and chat with the other crews - it's a great chance to welcome new competitors, exchange anecdotes, tell outrageous stories of what was down your weedhatch and so on. The perfect venue would be a nice, quiet pub with a good choice of beer and great food, followed by a quiet mooring for a good night's sleep - often from about 10:00pm as by then warm food, beer and tiredness have overcome the crews

In previous years The Wharf has offered OK food and run out of real ale. It does however have plenty of tables and was prepared to turn the music down so people could chat.

Having live music will reduce the opportunity for people to chat, and has the chance of disturbing the boaters sleep

For the future, what I would really like for the end of the BCN Challenge is a quiet venue with good food, good beer and a chance to talk to people. In a perfect world I would like the results announced! I can see why that doesn't happen now but it would really make an occasion of the evening. Failing that, a short speech from the BCNS about the number of boats competing, the value of the event to the future of the BCN, the effect running the challenge in previous years has had, anecdotes from the officials and so on would be good - something to round the competition off.

I already know of boats who are planning to moor outside of the basin to avoid the music, Tawny Owl will probably stay as I like mooring there. Several crews are also checking out the local pubs - the Black Country Arms is favourite at the moment. I'm afraid that being gven the opportunity to pay to sit in a mediocre, noisy pub feels more like exploitation than appreciation

Richard Powell

Team Tawny Owl

Richard

Thanks for the PM Richard.

I reckon team 'Red Wharf' (all 3 of us, counting the mumsie in law) are with you on this.

I can see that the Truman Trust are a worthy cause, and that Walsall Basin could do with more visitors, so I feel a bit of a party pooping grumpy old git but, hey, there we are.

SAM

Ryde

IOW

• 2 weeks later...

Changing the subject.........................................

The big 24hrs are approaching fast. We're moving 'Red Wharf' to our starting point next weekend so it's time for some serious route planning.

I have two navignational questions.

The route planner says for the Wyrley & Essington "Catshill Junction to Coal Chutes and return". Where exactly are the coal chutes. I can't see any mention of them in Nikkies or Pearsons. The Nicholson guide shows a winding 'ole just north of the M6 toll. Is this where they are?

On the Old Main Line it says of the Titford Branch Canal "Titford Pumphouse to the Navigation Winding Hole and return" Do they mean the winding 'ole shown near Uncle Ben's Bridge or does 'Navigation Winding Hole' mean go under the A4123, Jarvis Bridge, passing the New Navigation pub, and wind in the junction just on the other side?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Our proposed route takes in the Gower Branch and Spon Lane Locks. Reading Alan's Sickle and Chalice Blog it looks like we could be in for some 'interesting' boating!

See y'all in Walsall :cheers:

SAM

Ryde

IOW

These are the chutes, I think:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=chasewater&hl=en&ll=52.662833,-1.933999&spn=0.00045,0.001206&hnear=Chasewater&t=h&z=20

And I think they mean at the end where the Portway branch goes off

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=navigation+titford&hl=en&ll=52.488365,-2.01995&spn=0.000903,0.002411&sll=52.662833,-1.933999&sspn=0.00045,0.001206&t=h&hq=navigation+titford&z=19

We turn at Langley Forge last time by mistake

Richard

Edited by RLWP

I've sent an email to the BCNS, John Carrington and Julie Hodge of the Truman Enterprise Narrowboat Trust

Richard

Well put.

It would be nice for the BCNS to say a few words at the end, that is a very good suggestion. Perhaps they could at say 4:00PM, after Mr Mayor has been round assuming he does that again.

To avoid any confusion, I am happy to stump up £3 to the Truman Trust, as you say it is what the entertainment does to the surroundings that is the issue. I too will be in a basin, I will be so cream crackered by then I will sleep through anything. There was music on there last year I believe, and we were moored right in front on the pub and it did not stop me sleeping.

These are the chutes, I think:

http://maps.google.c...ewater&t=h&z=20

And I think they mean at the end where the Portway branch goes off

http://maps.google.c...on+titford&z=19

We turn at Langley Forge last time by mistake

Richard

I concur with Richard on both points.

I regret to say that Team Odana is withdrawing from this year's adventures due to extreme knackeredness and the need to have a long quiet weekend to refresh myself for Lapworth, among other upcoming busy weekends. I may come do some locks for people though, so let me know where you are. And I will quite happily drive up to Walsall for a drink at the end.

Yes, wuss, I know.

I regret to say that Team Odana is withdrawing from this year's adventures due to extreme knackeredness and the need to have a long quiet weekend to refresh myself for Lapworth, among other upcoming busy weekends. I may come do some locks for people though, so let me know where you are. And I will quite happily drive up to Walsall for a drink at the end.

Yes, wuss, I know.

Quality. You can lock us down the Walsall 8, because we'll be all hungover knackered from our strenuous efforts.

Quality. You can lock us down the Walsall 8, because we'll be all hungover knackered from our strenuous efforts.

Unless the Cat has new crew this year, I doubt the last part very much.

Deal.

Team Yeoford is similarly concocting an exciting route that will hopefully stick within the BCN boundaries this time! Can't wait!

A clockwise or anti clockwise route this year? Maybe we can get some jam to you as we pass...

Boatacious is my word and you, sir, have nicked it. Let battle commence.

That is true, but it is far too good for the likes of you so I have appropriated it

Richard

A clockwise or anti clockwise route this year? Maybe we can get some jam to you as we pass...

An anti-clockwise Southern route, not doing the Curly Wurly at all. and have to get the boat back to Gas Street for the Sunday evening. Might take the train to Walsall to catch up with people though.

I concur with Richard on both points.

Thank you both for that.

This armchair boating planning malarky is great fun but isn't there a saying somewhere about no ammount of planning surviving contact with the enemy........................?

SAM

Ryde

IOW

I'm only doing the Curly Wurly if you've personally dredged it Sarah. Cobbett will sink if I have to go down the weedhatch. Doesn't say anything else about anyone else though.

The Wyrley is a great canal, recently dredged, loads of water, take it easy through the bridge holes and you'll be fine.

The Wyrley is a great canal, recently dredged, loads of water, take it easy through the bridge holes and you'll be fine.

When we did the W&E a few years ago, we found it useful to have someone at the bow to point out the biggest bags of rubbish, the submerged garden tables and chairs, and the shopping trollies, so the steerer could avoid them. We also coasted through the bridge holes. I think there were just two visits down the weedhatch, for a bike inner tube, and a high vis jacket.