Aluminium Gang Plank

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I am planning to replace the wooden board on our aluminium ladder gang plank with a long sheet of aluminium chequer plate, the only thing is that the plate comes in thicknesses between 1.5mm and 5mm, and I do not know what thickness I should order

I have seen quite a few aluminium chequer plate/ladder gang planks around over the years, and wondered if anyone with one could measure theirs to give an idea of the thickness, I understand that the stock thickness is based upon the flat cross section and not the raised chequers.

I am planning to replace the wooden board on our aluminium ladder gang plank with a long sheet of aluminium chequer plate, the only thing is that the plate comes in thicknesses between 1.5mm and 5mm, and I do not know what thickness I should order

I have seen quite a few aluminium chequer plate/ladder gang planks around over the years, and wondered if anyone with one could measure theirs to give an idea of the thickness, I understand that the stock thickness is based upon the flat cross section and not the raised chequers.

Yes, thickness measured on the plate. Assuming you have rung supports at about 30cm (12") intervals I would go for 3mm especially if you need to put motorbikes or guests over 12 stone on board on a regular basis.

Aluminium checker plate (chequer plate) isn't actually that grippy in the wet. Is it the ideal material for a boarding plank?

I guess it depends what sort of sole your shoes have.

Agreed,chequer plate is slippery when wet.

easiest way to make a gangplank is to use an aluminium ladder with timber "decking" planks screwed to it.

Agreed,chequer plate is slippery when wet.

easiest way to make a gangplank is to use an aluminium ladder with timber "decking" planks screwed to it.

That is what we have got at the moment! It is so heavy, I cannot get it off the roof without straining myself, it is 8ft long and the timber is 7/8" thick pine coated with non slip paint.

As it happens, I find that brown decking board with little hexagons on it is also slippery when wet, and it is very heavy.

Edited by David Schweizer

That is what we have got at the moment! It is so heavy, I cannot get it off the roof without straining myself, it is 8ft long and the timber is 7/8" thick pine coated with non slip paint.

As it happens, I find that brown decking board with little hexagons on it is also slippery when wet, and it is very heavy.

The decking is a fair bit lighter than the 7/8 pine.

i suppose you could spend a spare hour or two drilling 3/4 holes in the boards,i fully intend to modify my plank using that method.

Asoon as i get one of those round tuit thingys!

The decking is a fair bit lighter than the 7/8 pine.

i suppose you could spend a spare hour or two drilling 3/4 holes in the boards,i fully intend to modify my plank using that method.

Asoon as i get one of those round tuit thingys!

I would urge caution with that approach, as too many holes will compromise the board's integrity. The last thing you want is to loose Granny by putting her foot through it! :lol:

Edited by David Schweizer

Try this Ebay seller, might be able to supply something suitable.

Or if you can use the above, do a search for 'waffle boards' on Ebay/online.

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete

Had A look at this. The sales blurb doesn't say anything, but the "review" says its no good for outdoor use.

Brian ;)

I bought a reel of similar stuff from Betterware about 2 years ago. I put a piece about an inch long on top of our wheelie bin that stands out in all weathers and there is still no way I can peel it off. I still have not used the rest and can't remember what I bought it for. True I have never tested Screwfix tape but I was assuming (bad thing to do) it would be the same.

I bought a reel of similar stuff from Betterware about 2 years ago. I put a piece about an inch long on top of our wheelie bin that stands out in all weathers and there is still no way I can peel it off. I still have not used the rest and can't remember what I bought it for. True I have never tested Screwfix tape but I was assuming (bad thing to do) it would be the same.

Depends on the type of adhesive I expect. Must say Betterware stuff usually is pretty good.

Brian