Sagar Marine

bargemast

Featured Posts

Yes Sagar Marine closed on the 18th November, thanks for all the nice comments on boats we have built.

jonathan

I was fortunate to be able to purchase a new 57ft Minilux Barge from Sagar Marine in 2002. It was a great experience dealing with all of the staff at Sagar Marine. Their Barge design was absolutely first class and we had six years living the dream in France.

To my mind it is typical of the way that this business was run that Jonathan should himself make the announcement on this forum, and I wish to take this opportunity to wish him and all the staff of Sagar Marine all the best for the future. You may have hit hard times in the current economic conditions, but you can hold your heads up high, your legacy will carry on.

Thank you

Geoff May

Take a look at Waterways World November 2011 Pages 52 to 56 and you will see a road test on a Tayberg Gentleman's Launch called Amourette. That is fully fitted and seems to have been done from start to finish by Bergin (Tayberg).

Roger

November WW if you'll excuse the plug. :)

You're a bit slow off the mark Richard :P

Roger

Thank you very much Julian, she looks like a very good barge for canal-cruising (nice and straight), where 3-4 knots is about the right speed, and if she only creates minimum water disturbance at that speed, she will surely run quite economical too.

One more question, don't you find your rudder-angle restricted by the hydraulic ram ?

Its a go anywhere barge and I mean anywhere, when it was shorter we went 5 miles past lechlade almost to Hannington bridge and on a later trip went up the East coast and back across the estuary to the Medway.

As for the rudder the answer is no its fine. The barge used to have chain and cable steering with a full 180deg arc, now limited to about 90deg but haven't had problems I can still, in deep enough water, turn it in its own length without ropes or a bow thruster, 120hp and a decent Crowther prop helps a lot.

Its all down to design I have made a lot of small changes (if you call adding 10ft small) over the last 9 years and now have a barge that handles well and is easy to steer.

Its a go anywhere barge and I mean anywhere, when it was shorter we went 5 miles past lechlade almost to Hannington bridge and on a later trip went up the East coast and back across the estuary to the Medway.

As for the rudder the answer is no its fine. The barge used to have chain and cable steering with a full 180deg arc, now limited to about 90deg but haven't had problems I can still, in deep enough water, turn it in its own length without ropes or a bow thruster, 120hp and a decent Crowther prop helps a lot.

Its all down to design I have made a lot of small changes (if you call adding 10ft small) over the last 9 years and now have a barge that handles well and is easy to steer.

Thanks for your answer, you are lucky that your barge doesn't seem to need more than the 90° of rudder-angle, most barges do need more for manoeuvrability in tight spaces.

Parglena sounds like a very pleasant and well handling barge, and she's looking different than all the wide-beam narrowboat type boats, she must be quite unique too, as I don't think they ever built one like yours again.

Cheers,

Peter.

There's another West Yorkshire boatbuider who may be persuaded to build you a replica.

2008_070808jols0002.jpg

Pickwell and Arnold are still ticking over.

The last I heard, and this was directly from a friend with a P&A barge, was that one of the partners was trying to retire and that they were winding down somewhat, mainly doing repairs and mods. Whether this means that they won't build a new barge I'm not sure but the source info to me was only one level away from P&A themselves.

Roger

There is also this firm http://www.rllboats.co.uk/ They look very nice

What I don't understand is, if you are capable of putting bends in steel, like this, for purely decorative purposes, why not build a boat shaped boat, rather than tack a few curves to a steel box?

I think this boat is worse than the most excessive washer josher bow ever built:

K_A_BARGE_002.jpg

What I don't understand is, if you are capable of putting bends in steel, like this, for purely decorative purposes, why not build a boat shaped boat, rather than tack a few curves to a steel box?

I think this boat is worse than the most excessive washer josher bow ever built:

K_A_BARGE_002.jpg

It gives the impression that it is something tacked onto the stern of a standard product to produce a 'different' boat. Do you think that could be the reason?

Roger

It gives the impression that it is something tacked onto the stern of a standard product to produce a 'different' boat. Do you think that could be the reason?

Roger

It looks that way.

If they are going to name not just the style of boat, but also the actual builder, they are 'replicating', I'd expect a bit more effort than just sticking a dummy stern on top of their standard counter.

Edited by carlt

Parglena sounds like a very pleasant and well handling barge, and she's looking different than all the wide-beam narrowboat type boats, she must be quite unique too, as I don't think they ever built one like yours again.

Its the 8th in line,a prototype and the other 6 were built in the early fifties its a pretty reasonable copy of Parbella

http://heritageboatassociation.ie/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=246&Itemid=64

Its the 8th in line,a prototype and the other 6 were built in the early fifties its a pretty reasonable copy of Parbella

http://heritageboatassociation.ie/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=246&Itemid=64

Thanks for the link, to the interesting history of the "Duker" barges, the original ones would probably be to wide to navigate on the K & A and the G-U in their actual state of maintenance, with several bridge passages that have been repaired without respecting their width.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks for the link, to the interesting history of the "Duker" barges, the original ones would probably be to wide to navigate on the K & A and the G-U in their actual state of maintenance, with several bridge passages that have been repaired without respecting their width.

Indeed Parglena is about 4/5 of full size so at 18.2 x 3.5 is about right, started life as an over wide 5/7 copy so we changed the length to match beam.

The last I heard, and this was directly from a friend with a P&A barge, was that one of the partners was trying to retire and that they were winding down somewhat, mainly doing repairs and mods. Whether this means that they won't build a new barge I'm not sure but the source info to me was only one level away from P&A themselves.

Roger

Perhaps someone from Sagar may like to join to up the production.

Just a thought.

it's a great pity that such a good boatbuilder, that produced top-quality boats, and were very nice and serious people who loved the work they did, has gone under.

Point of order here....

To me, and probably many others, the expression 'gone under' means a company gone bust leaving a trail of unpaid bills and lost deposits.

From what I've read in this thread, Sagar have closed down in an orderly manner, paying creditors and stitching up no-one. There can be a million personal or family reasons to close down a viable and profitable business other than 'going under'. For example I closed down my successful bathrooms business because I was simply bored with it and I wanted to do something else, not because I 'went under'. Just wanted to point this out.

Mike

point well made by mike the boilerman...edited so i dont make a bigger fool of m yself than usual....

Before your edit you were on about imported boats, remember that imported boats are cheap boats and very different from sagar marine and many of the builders mentioned here. If someone was looking at a imported boat, a sagar marine would most likely have been very much out of there price range.