Is my boat level?

Québec

Featured Posts

Write out one hundred times:

I really MUST stop worrying about whether the boat is level or not!

Boatlevel.jpg

(handy iPad application, placed on floor in centre of boat)

Too much modern technology is not always a good thing.

At least you know which side all the bilge water should poolblush.gif

Alex

Too much modern technology is not always a good thing.

At least you know which side all the bilge water should poolblush.gif

Alex

Funny you should say that...spent a good while this evening getting rid, by hand, of the inch or so of water the auto bilge pump left swilling around. Forgot to use the greaser when we were last on the boat two weeks ago! :blush:

Boatlevel.jpg

I used to worry, then got over it.

Now you have resurrected those worries. Must get the app!

Funny you should say that...spent a good while this evening getting rid, by hand, of the inch or so of water the auto bilge pump left swilling around. Forgot to use the greaser when we were last on the boat two weeks ago! :blush:

Are you saying you depend on the grease to stop any leakage?

I would always make sure the stuffing gland is tight enough to stop any leakage

Alex

Beer fridge, starboard or port? Full or empty, Porta potti starboard or port? Full or empty? Oh s**** I used to be level headed then I got an Iphone.

Good luck restoring your balance or re-stowing the fridge.

Cheers Don

Beer fridge, starboard or port? Full or empty, Porta potti starboard or port? Full or empty? Oh s**** I used to be level headed then I got an Iphone.

Good luck restoring your balance or re-stowing the fridge.

Cheers Don

Oops...I sense a certain negative tilt on the humour front...so difficult to pitch stuff at the right level.

My boat is really REALLY un-level- tipped to the side that the stove is on, which is what someone told me is causing it.

I understand that the stove weighs a lot, but I have more or less everything on the other side of the boat, should this not level it out somewhat?

There's no water in the water tanks if that makes a difference...

Boatlevel.jpg

But is your floor level with the bottom plate? :rolleyes::o

I'm usually pretty chilled out about the boats trim, i have a bit of string with a small weight on the end hanging on a door frame, a quick glance confirms any out of trim thoughts easily.

Yesterday I had Apache lifted from the water for a quick repair on the stern gland tube leak, when she was returned to the water all felt a little odd, eek!!! The trim had changed? I tried to ignore it, but after a couple of hours I'd managed to convince myself to lift up a section of floor to allow me to pump the vast quantities of water that had leaked into the cabin bilge somehow (obviously displaced by the craning out and now resting on the other side causing the change in trim)

I levered myself out of the comfy chair and headed for the tool box, at the very least i'd need saws, chisels, a multi saw, etc ect so i decided to move the tool boxes nearer the percieved problem. After dragging the tool boxs to their new position I took a glance at my trim indicator, nothing had changed!!! Blimey, worse than I thought if two heavy tool chests made no difference. :o

So I started to see how much I'd need to move to make a difference, after moving a whole heap of stuff it was still the same if not a little worse.

My normal cool persona was getting a little rattled so power tool in hand, aqua vac on standby I approached the problem area. It was only at that point I noticed the boat was a little 'hard', IE no movement at all :blush:

On further inspection (more open minded this time :D ) It turned out the crane had dropped me onto something on the canal bed that was causing the list, with a bit of work with the long shaft I managed to get her moving into the boat channel.

A quick shuffle of all the moved 'Ballast' restored her normally comfortable attitude, tools were resigned to their boxes untill the next emergency and the comfey chair did what it does best for the remainder of the evening.

A lesson learnt.

Does it matter if your boat is not level (yep that is a serious question) - Each time we go out on the boat, seem to take more and more stuff aboard (not liveaboards), and on the last trip over half term, noticed that we have developed an ever so slight lean to one side (most of the cupboards are down one side of the boat). At first was thinking of how to move the ballast etc. to stop it, but then I thought - does it matter?

Martin

We use crates of Bud as ballast. Only trouble is the trim seems to constantly change :cheers:

If you store your l*g*r on the same side as the pump-out tank then it ends up back where it started anyway...with absolutely no change in ingredients, either.

• Greenie 1