Hello and thanks!

stoat

Featured Posts

Just a quick hello to say thanks for all the useful info on the forum.

Finally put an offer in on a boat last Sunday and reading the posts on here has been really useful.

Just got the nerve wracking wait till the survey is completed now (feel a bit sick at the thought of it all going wrong at this stage!)

The boat gets pulled out this weekend though so cross your fingers everyone!!

Good luck.

Finally put an offer in on a boat last Sunday and reading the posts on here has been really useful.

Just got the nerve wracking wait till the survey is completed now (feel a bit sick at the thought of it all going wrong at this stage!)

ooh exciting times!

Good luck, hope all goes well for you...do let us know.

...and welcome on board! :rolleyes:

Edited by cazberry

Ah... it's bad news. Surveyor stopped the survey after doing one half of the hull. Apparently one of the worst overplating jobs he'd ever seen. Cost of the survey down now and still no boat :(

Off to look at one again hopefully this weekend, trying not to feel disheartened!

Ah... it's bad news. Surveyor stopped the survey after doing one half of the hull. Apparently one of the worst overplating jobs he'd ever seen. Cost of the survey down now and still no boat :(

Off to look at one again hopefully this weekend, trying not to feel disheartened!

That's a shame but better finding out now rather than later. Good luck with your search.

haggis

Try not too, as it best you find out now than later :) and good luck with the search :) I ended up looking at so many I got dizzy, but found the perfect one for me. You will find the right one for you :)

Sounds like you found a good surveyor

Good luck, stick at it and you'll find the boat for you

Richard

I know. All good advice so thanks. Would much rather find out now than a few years down the line when I'm trying to sell it. Fell pretty dreadful for the bloke who was selling it to be honest. Lot of money for him to lose.

All happens for a reason so I'm sure it just means there's the perfect one coming up!

Sorry to hear that, but well done on getting the survey, another member here posted not so long ago that her son's boat which he had had only a few months and not got surveyed, started taking in water and the short version is, the hull was a state and will cost a fortune to fix, so you've dodged a bullet there.

I moved onto my boat three days ago with my cats, they have settled about the same as they have on house moves so far, no worse for the rocking about and maybe even a bit better as it's been a smaller space for them to get used to...

I am moving to a different, more cat friendly access pontoon on Thursday when they will be allowed out for the first time since we got on, but they are all keen to go out already and two of them have already had a little look around on the stern and one walked all round the boat on the gunwhales (unplanned, and much to my horror!) and came back in to consider her findings and still seems ok!

Advice I have had and am going to utilise- get a couple of extra rope fenders and hang them so that they are actually partially in the water, so the cats have something to haul themselves out on if they cannot get out on a bank.

And keep a big net on the roof to fish them out with for any impromptu swandives!

Edited by Starcoaster
  • Greenie 1

As Luctor says.

I would also like to think if the complete survey was not carried out then the complete charge should not be levied.

An aside count it as a blessing that you found out before you paid for it. I think it is a shame that boats that are that far gone are not named, I too will be looking soon, would be nice if I could cross some dead dog of the list before I spend a few hundred quid.

Hope the next one is the the right one for you.

Good luck

Smudge

As Luctor says.

I would also like to think if the complete survey was not carried out then the complete charge should not be levied.

An aside count it as a blessing that you found out before you paid for it. I think it is a shame that boats that are that far gone are not named, I too will be looking soon, would be nice if I could cross some dead dog of the list before I spend a few hundred quid.

Hope the next one is the the right one for you.

Good luck

Smudge

Spoken to the surveyor and he is adjusting his fee.

I wouldn't want to name the boat online as the owner is still trying to sell (although now at a much reduced rate with the info included about the hull.)

If he was trying to sell at the same price then I might have been tempted to post the name!!

Viewing in Liverpool has fallen through but I'm hoping to look at one over in Derbyshire if I can find a time that the owner is free!

Advice I have had and am going to utilise- get a couple of extra rope fenders and hang them so that they are actually partially in the water, so the cats have something to haul themselves out on if they cannot get out on a bank.

And keep a big net on the roof to fish them out with for any impromptu swandives!

Thanks Starcoaster. I've been watching your progression with you new boat since I've joined. She's lovely and a great new name.

Good advice on the net although I would also have to invest in a claw proof suit for when I'd got him back on the boat :rolleyes:

His brother lives on one already and is fine apparently so I'm sure he'll take to it no bother.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! Finally bought a boat. Very very very excited. She's only a year old and pretty much still a sailaway so there's going to be an uncomfortable few months ahead (fortunatly the stove is fitted so I won't freeze to death at least) but she's mine and I'm very excited.

Just got to decide on the layout now!!

Yes! Finally bought a boat. Very very very excited. She's only a year old and pretty much still a sailaway so there's going to be an uncomfortable few months ahead (fortunatly the stove is fitted so I won't freeze to death at least) but she's mine and I'm very excited.

Best of luck with the new boat, now the hard work starts, but you will enjoy it ;)

S

I have know boaters to tether a small raft to the boat and hang carpet over the side for them to climb back on board with. Not being a cat owner I don't know it they are good ideas or not.

Was it a failed project?

congrats,...I moved on to my boat with no facilities to start with. The loo was first, then the bed...the rest came (and is still coming after nearly 3 years!!) as and when, but yes, the stove is a must!!

Good luck with her, keep us posted, and enjoy the open plan bit for now!!!