next of the firsts

cereal tiller

Featured Posts

do try and keep up tim!

the bmc had a bmc in it,noisier than a stove ,but it was nice and warm...

Yeah, I knew what he meant, just hate that (mis)use of 'bmc' (plus that posting could easily confuse those who aren't familiar with its misuse).

I'd never heard 'semi-trad' used to describe a boat with engine in the stern of the cabin, but I used to steer a trip boat which was arranged that way, this was in the late 1960s & I think the actual conversion from a Working Boat, putting the engine in the stern, was done in the late 1950s. What most of us know as the 'semi-trad', the hollow cabin outline, came a lot later but I couldn't try to put a date on it.

Tim

you are incorrect. There was trad which had bmc and then engine and then semi trad which had engine in bmc space. The other semi trad came later

Didn't some of the Severn & Canal Carrying Co boats have the engine in the back of the cabin, with the living accommodation in front from the start?

David

Didn't some of the Severn & Canal Carrying Co boats have the engine in the back of the cabin, with the living accommodation in front from the start?

David

Yep that's right. I think one or two other smaller carrying companies too.

As is often said in the model railway world. "There is a prototype for everything" so always best to be careful when saying something is unique or never, always done that way etc.

I would hazard a quess that the first time we saw semi trads in the sense of rear deck arrangement for a modern pleasure boat was in the early 1980s but I don't know who would have made the first.

Edited by churchward

The first "semi-trad" I remember seeing was about in the 1970's. It was on the Weltonfield Hire fleet and the shell was built by their regular shell builder who was working out of the village of Old in Northants. Sadly senility has arrived and I am unable to recall his name, ( he is now sadly passed on).

Just to get the traditionalists wound up, I'll tell you of my dream boat before I had to give up boating for health reasons.

A 57ft Tug "Woolwich"replica such as being built in the early 2000's by Barry Hawkins or Davis's,(without false rivets) with a bed under the tug deck, a proper engine room a Gardner engine and wait for it..... A semi-trad stern! I once mentioned the project to BH and it was all he could do, not to throw me out of his yard!

Just to get the traditionalists wound up, I'll tell you of my dream boat before I had to give up boating for health reasons.

A 57ft Tug "Woolwich"replica such as being built in the early 2000's by Barry Hawkins or Davis's,(without false rivets) with a bed under the tug deck, a proper engine room a Gardner engine and wait for it..... A semi-trad stern! I once mentioned the project to BH and it was all he could do, not to throw me out of his yard!

I can certainly offer you a "tug style" semi-trad, but the length may not be what you want, and you would have to accept the fake rivets, (and a pram hood)..........

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

I can certainly offer you a "tug style" semi-trad, but the length may not be what you want, and you would have to accept the fake rivets, (and a pram hood)..........

IMG_0521.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

sorry, rivets aside, the pram hood just makes it look plain silly, however shiny it is.

and I repeat sorry in case someone thinks I don't appreciate their taste. :unsure:

Alan, thanks for the pic. Did you miss the bit:

I had to give up boating for health reasons.

Also, a Gardner (2LW?)would need it's own engine room of course.

Tony.

edited to add: Wet weather never bothered me at the tiller provided I was suitably dressed. It was actually quite peaceful.......

Edited by tony collins

The first "semi-trad" I remember seeing was about in the 1970's. It was on the Weltonfield Hire fleet and the shell was built by their regular shell builder who was working out of the village of Old in Northants. Sadly senility has arrived and I am unable to recall his name, ( he is now sadly passed on).

Mike Gration.

On the L&LC, when steam engines replaced horses, the engine was fitted in what had been the main cabin at the stern, the main living accommodation then being the bow cabin. So the date could be circa 1880, though I am sure I could find earlier conversions of this type if I really looked.