Turning 180 degrees without a bowthruster

flatplane8

Featured Posts

Isn't that the M25 bridge by Bell Weir lock?

I guess you need to use ropes to turn a barge of that size around. I can spin mine around almost within it's own length (without using the BT).

Is that with or without the BT :rolleyes:

Hi,

Yes, it's Bell Weir lock, we were stopping at the Runnymeade hotel for a late lunch on the way back from Datchet.

No paddlewheel effect used, it was all done with a single rope from the dock to a bollard about 1/3 fron the bow. Other boats would certainly do this without, but Misterton won't.

Edited by flatplane8

In case anyone has 3.5 minutes they want to kill,

is how we did it.

Ok I'll take the bait, Is this some sort of difficult manoeuvre. I must be missing something here.

Wouldn't like to try it on some of the dodgy pontoons around the system.

Mind you I don't usually walk down the gunwales with my hands in my pockets rolleyes.gif

Ok I'll take the bait, Is this some sort of difficult manoeuvre. I must be missing something here.

Mind you I don't usually walk down the gunwales with my hands in my pockets rolleyes.gif

No, just difficult for us due to size. Just shows what you can do with a rope, we were shown some things like this by ex-bargemen in Yorkshire. The gunwales are almost two feet wide, so not a real danger.

No, just difficult for us due to size. Just shows what you can do with a rope, we were shown some things like this by ex-bargemen in Yorkshire. The gunwales are almost two feet wide, so not a real danger.

Cool stuff getting the knowledge from the barge guys, was just poking a bit of fun about the gunwales.

Cheers

A

I must admit Arkwright, I was waiting for the catch there, I could have done that single handed faster, and as for the guy with his hands in his pockets......."Go and get a Beer lad if you're bored"

Wouldn't it have gone around a whole lot quicker if you'd had the tiller well over to port?

Hi, it might be, we tend to do things slowly due to inertia and relatively low power (30hp Lister JP3M). Having the wheel over to port might cause the stern to swing wide, but with a short rope on the front should be ok, I may try it next time.

Used to be able to do it without a line in a small Woolwich motor (Bargus) as most boats will tend to swing to one side when reversing with full throttle. When you've got the boat swinging, judicious application of forward gear with appropriate rudder deflection will keep the turn going then just apply more reverse as required and repeat until you are pointing where you want to go. The boat doesn't move much and virtually rotates around its mid-point. Best attempted where there's plenty of room, though!

Edited by Speedy23

Used to be able to do it without a line in a small Woolwich motor (Bargus) as most boats will tend to swing to one side when reversing with full throttle. When you've got the boat swinging, judicious application of forward gear with appropriate rudder deflection will keep the turn going then just apply more reverse as required and repeat until you are pointing where you want to go. The boat doesn't move much and virtually rotates around its mid-point. Best attempted where there's plenty of room, though!

Thats how we turn round on the Thames, by using prop-walk, which is quite pronounced. On Misterton, she pulls the stern to port in reverse, so it would work against us on the manoever in the video. If the mooring was the other side we might be able to do it without a rope as you say. One thing we've learnt is that once you have a line to shore, you can do quite a lot. Our normal mooring space has boats ahead ahead and behind, but by using a spring line, we can get into a gap only about 6 feet longer than our 74ft length.

Edited by flatplane8

Thats how we turn round on the Thames, by using prop-walk, which is quite pronounced. On Misterton, she pulls the stern to port in reverse, so it would work against us on the manoever in the video. If the mooring was the other side we might be able to do it without a rope as you say. One thing we've learnt is that once you have a line to shore, you can do quite a lot. Our normal mooring space has boats ahead ahead and behind, but by using a spring line, we can get into a gap only about 6 feet longer than our 74ft length.

A gap 6ft bigger than your boat. Bloody hell chance would be a fine thing. We are sometimes lucky if we get six inches outside the pub :cheers: