• an interesting new logo
    • something else
    • a brilliant new logo
    • what Robin Evans saw in the tealeaves
    • The Canal & River trust
    • A swan in front of a hill
    • a canal bridge with A blooming great swan-neck-shaped crack in it

Featured Posts

What the hell does it matter? It will soon be recognised as the C&RT logo. Any alternative will have it's detractors - some people like to moan about anything new.

If you hate it that much then why not put some proposals yourself?

• Greenie 2

... I like swans.

I don't. This logo will just encourage swans to be even more aggressive and bad tempered. They aleady think they own the cut as it is. Two years ago a swan made its nest blocking completely the entrance of our mooring and we had to remove part of the fence of a neighbour's garden in order to reach our boats.

Mind you the logo could have been worse and included a fisherman or a cyclist.

quote name='Proud Salopian' timestamp='1318441041' post='763118']

Swan sanctuary.

Which is what the canals will become if they don't stop wasting money on new signage and start repairing the cut!

Mike

The waterways are facing one of the most dramatic changes in their history. The impact of what is happening will echo down generations to come. Huge damage will be done if the changes are not handled properly.

And what is Laurence Hogg's contribution? To argue about the logo!

I am afraid I don't share your sense of priorities, Mr Hogg.

The waterways are facing one of the most dramatic changes in their history. The impact of what is happening will echo down generations to come. Huge damage will be done if the changes are not handled properly.

And what is Laurence Hogg's contribution? To argue about the logo!

I am afraid I don't share your sense of priorities, Mr Hogg.

Since you havent a clue what my priorities are then I beg to differ, you may have missed what has been going on recently up on the BCN but I can assure you my priorities are about getting our waterways in good shape and getting people to use them.

Also there are a few people involved with the C&RT who are not happy with the logo! Oh and at least you know who I am as I dont "hide" behind a nickname.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

Since you havent a clue what my priorities are then I beg to differ, you may have missed what has been going on recently up on the BCN but I can assure you my priorities are about getting our waterways in good shape and getting people to use them.

Also there are a few people involved with the C&RT who are not happy with the logo! Oh and at least you know who I am as I dont "hide" behind a nickname.

I must admit that I think that whinging about the logo is pretty trivial given everything else that is happening.

I must admit that I think that whinging about the logo is pretty trivial given everything else that is happening.

It's a clever management ploy - give us a crap logo that looks like a swan in front of a hill and we will be so busy moaning about it that we won't notice everything else that is happening! :)

I think it is a good attempt, but still prefer the old logo.

I may be being stupid or am lost in some reactionary world somwhere, but for heavens sake why change the BW name and logo that is so wellknown and identifiable. The cost of the new design will be huge as they will have to change letterheads, van signage, waterways signage etc. There are not that many swans on the canals; so why not have a fish, or a tree of some sort, or even an old bridge, with a canal running under it and some bull rushes or something. (oops, thats the old logo).

Just driven past a BW office; nope; that was the Swan Inn.

Makes my blood boil at the downright muppetary of those who are running the outfit. Get them arrested and marched off to the Ministry Of Common Sense imo.

I may be being stupid or am lost in some reactionary world somwhere, but for heavens sake why change the BW name and logo that is so wellknown and identifiable. The cost of the new design will be huge as they will have to change letterheads, van signage, waterways signage etc. There are not that many swans on the canals; so why not have a fish, or a tree of some sort, or even an old bridge, with a canal running under it and some bull rushes or something. (oops, thats the old logo).

Just driven past a BW office; nope; that was the Swan Inn.

Makes my blood boil at the downright muppetary of those who are running the outfit. Get them arrested and marched off to the Ministry Of Common Sense imo.

Great logo - Dead easy to get 50,000 swan stickers printed and stick them on all the current bridge/rushes logo. A cheap/sustainable option.... only to be completely replaced when the vehicles, offices, signs are due for wear and tear asset replacement. You could even send out a sheet of swans with every licence so the boaters could "volunteer" to make sure ALL signage is changed.

However, the chances of a sensible idea like this happening are weighted against like a monster raving loony general election victory (even though the raving loonies get in every time regardless who we all vote for).

The sticker idea is AIUI the current plan - indeed, the idea is to get volunteers to put the stickers up where possible. BW calls it the "People's Rebrand".

As for letterheads, even if they stuck with the current name (which the Government has forbidden them to do) and logo, it's a legal requirement that charities print their registered charity number on correspondence and publications. So reprinting costs are inevitable.

Whatever one might think of the artistic merit of the logo, there is absolutely nothing to say that this change need be expensive.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

The sticker idea is AIUI the current plan - indeed, the idea is to get volunteers to put the stickers up where possible. BW calls it the "People's Rebrand".

As for letterheads, even if they stuck with the current name (which the Government has forbidden them to do) and logo, it's a legal requirement that charities print their registered charity number on correspondence and publications. So reprinting costs are inevitable.

Whatever one might think of the artistic merit of the logo, there is absolutely nothing to say that this change need be expensive.

If that happens Richard, (and I havn't seen that info anywhere, otherwise wouldn't have posted) I will be a happy man, and will gladly have sheets and volunteer to do my bit.

I understand the paperwork exercise, but that can easily be very cheap due to the timescale and somebody actually talking to the printers about volumes already.........

If that happens Richard, (and I havn't seen that info anywhere, otherwise wouldn't have posted) I will be a happy man, and will gladly have sheets and volunteer to do my bit.

I understand the paperwork exercise, but that can easily be very cheap due to the timescale and somebody actually talking to the printers about volumes already.........

The costs of the CART move this year (2011/12) are crudely estimated to be £2m. In the first three months of the year over £400k was spent on consultancy including two reports on directors remuneration.

Since you havent a clue what my priorities are then I beg to differ,

I do have a clue, and you gave it to me:

"I genuinly {sic} feel it is not a good logo and will tell them so at the AGM tomorrow".

Thereby reducing the amount of time that could be devoted to matters of substance.

Oh and at least you know who I am as I dont "hide" behind a nickname.

Actually, I may know your name, but I have no idea who you are, and feel no poorer for that.

I'll guarantee that some friend of a friend will be cashing in on the new signage proposals.

Robin Evan's Signwriters perhaps.....

As usual in establishments such as BW, they all pee in the same pot! :rolleyes:

Mike

I think I'll reserve judgement on that issue....Let's wait and see. If I were a gambling man

I wouldn't mind a punt on what the final bill is and moreover, who gains from the work involved.

Wheels within wheels I think the appropriate terms is.

Mike

Edited by Doorman

It's a clever management ploy - give us a crap logo that looks like a swan in front of a hill and we will be so busy moaning about it that we won't notice everything else that is happening! :)

Exactly and people like Laurence and you, in calling it crap, are falling for it. I think that it is a bit paranoid to suppose that this is a deliberate ploy though.

It doesn't matter a damn what the logo looks like in the greater scheme of things. Some on here like it, some don't. That was bound to happen whatever the design proposed.