Licence Question

Dave W

Featured Posts

Today my wife was doing her regular bike ride to Bath on the K&A and spotted an inspector with a pda checking on the movements of several boats. As I understand it (I am new) boats need to move every two weeks to be seen to be 'on a journey'. Several boats never seem to move at all, indeed some of the occupants look to be in a bad way anyway. I suppose the punishment would be that BW would refuse a licence next time it came up for renewal? So I'm wondering what happens after that? Presumably the boat is someone's home and worldly possession. So if the owner is skint what happens?

Sorry if this subject has been done before, but I haven't seen it.

They add overstay charges onto the next license. Skint boater gets a big shock and can't afford to pay. Skint boater becomes an unlicensed boat because they can't find that amount of money in order to pay their license. Seen it happen up here and I would say some of these boaters are vulnerable. The boats do eventually get served section 8 notices and taken away by BW, but if the boat is someones home then the social services will be involved - you can't just turf someone out. It takes time and it isn't pretty. It does happen though, have seen quite a few get towed away over the years, but not so many recently?

And BW can't take everyone to court, it is expensive and they don't have the budget for it because all of the money is going in Robin Evans pension pot *cough*

The housing crisis hasn't helped this situation one bit - everyone has got to live somewhere, employed or otherwise.

Today my wife was doing her regular bike ride to Bath on the K&A and spotted an inspector with a pda checking on the movements of several boats. As I understand it (I am new) boats need to move every two weeks to be seen to be 'on a journey'. Several boats never seem to move at all, indeed some of the occupants look to be in a bad way anyway. I suppose the punishment would be that BW would refuse a licence next time it came up for renewal? So I'm wondering what happens after that? Presumably the boat is someone's home and worldly possession. So if the owner is skint what happens?

Best not to judge someone by their boat.

The K and A has special dispensation to continuous moorers. Its well documented that you can live on the K and A especialy beyond Bradford on Avon without bone fide moorings. ;)

Best not to judge someone by their boat.

I'm not judging anyone I don't know their personal status or problems. Just asking a question. I was wondering how a person with no money and potentially no home would be dealt with. Thanks for the answers.

My next question would be the obvious - how far is a reasonable distance do you think to avoid falling foul of BW's regulations?

The 'No Fighting Please' in the title intrigues me. Your subject has indeed been subject of hot debate in the past, something you seem to acknowledge with that remark, yet you say if there have been previous thread you haven't seen them.

I'm not judging anyone

Your use of the phrases "in a bad way" and "punishment" belie this.

The 'No Fighting Please' in the title intrigues me. Your subject has indeed been subject of hot debate in the past, something you seem to acknowledge with that remark, yet you say if there have been previous thread you haven't seen them.

I think it's a rather pathetic attempt to start one of those fights.

....especially given the OP's 2nd post.

Edited by Chris Pink

Your use of the phrases "in a bad way" and "punishment" belie this.

I think it's a rather pathetic attempt to start one of those fights.

....especially given the OP's 2nd post.

oops quoted again.

The only reason I put 'no fighting please' is because I don't know anyone on this forum and I find some are very suspicious and even a little hostile compared to other forums I go on (not canal boating).

My guess was that the subject might irk some people. I have posted in the 'new to boating section' because that's exactly what I am. I have no boat and may never have one. I'm very interested in the whole idea and want to know more. I find it odd that people are so suspicious.

Edited by Dave W

My next question would be the obvious - how far is a reasonable distance do you think to avoid falling foul of BW's regulations?

I understand it only needs a boats length..

The reason I ask is because we are both keen cyclists therefore twenty miles is very easy on a towpath. I'm thinking marina fees could be easily avoided if the boat was moved anywhere between say five and twenty miles. As I've said elsewhere living aboard would not be an option in the near future.

Clicky

Various previous threads on here about it too.

Dave W

You are new to this forum and obviously are not using the search facility and or google or you would have found the 'discussions' , there have been so many.

The answer, also lies within the British Waterways and Waterscape sites, as to the definition that BW has for complying with the 'continuous cruiser' requirements.

The K & A is a 'notorious' place for those that tend to flout the requirements but there are many other places on the canal system that have the same problem, just not had the same publicity.

The housing crisis hasn't helped this situation one bit - everyone has got to live somewhere, employed or otherwise.

:smiley_offtopic: but I just heard someone on Radio 4 saying that to cope financially he is planning to sell his house and buy a NB. Sounds like the wrong reason to live on a boat to me.

From my experience (not on the K&A), the presence of BW men with their little hand-held "thingys" does not necessarily mean they are checking the moorings situation, or any concept of overstaying.

Massive amounts of checking goes on on my local canal (the Grand Union), but boats do not tend to get ticketed or moved on, and I'm not aware of any stories of charges being added to renewals for overstaying at a particular location.

The general impression around here is that boats are being checked for a valid licence (only), and not for mooring infringements.

Provided a boat is licensed, the evidence is that not much other action is taken in this particular area.

I am in no way suggesting that overstaying may not be being policed on the K&A, or the Lee and Stort (Lady Muck's example). All I am saying is that I don't believe you can necessarily assume country-wide what is actually being done by "checkers" unless they are actually prepared to tell you in an honest way what they are doing.

Edited by alan_fincher

David Mack, thank you for that, that's the kind of thing I was wanting to know. I didn't realise a mooring was required for when the boat wasn't cruising. Kind of puts an end to my plan of shifting it about at weekends particularly considering I wouldn't be living on it. I imagine BW would know that as my home adddress would probably be easily spotted anyway.

I haven't a clue what they were checking - I wasn't there I just assumed the guy was like a traffic warden checking the registration numbers. It got me thinking that's all. It seemed obvious to me that the people who part with two to three thousand a year won't like the ones who part with nowt. I don't want to start a bun fight and thanks to David I have the answer I wanted.

Ta

Hi LadyMuck,.

This is a very interesting Post/Q. to me - as I am thinking of buying a boat as a Perm home in future (..As I can't afford luxury of getting near Housing !!) The Government put that rest for me.

Anyway I wondered exactly the same - what would happen in exact Q. you asked!!

As you say at end -- we all need live somewhere. Everybody needs a Home... & my view the Canals should be a easy soultion for lot people like me. I keep hearing off politicians that there going be a Housing shortage very soon - well in my view WAke up & let people live how they want - As long as not breaking any rules or annoyance other community..

Cheeers

Newbee

They add overstay charges onto the next license. Skint boater gets a big shock and can't afford to pay. Skint boater becomes an unlicensed boat because they can't find that amount of money in order to pay their license. Seen it happen up here and I would say some of these boaters are vulnerable. The boats do eventually get served section 8 notices and taken away by BW, but if the boat is someones home then the social services will be involved - you can't just turf someone out. It takes time and it isn't pretty. It does happen though, have seen quite a few get towed away over the years, but not so many recently?

And BW can't take everyone to court, it is expensive and they don't have the budget for it because all of the money is going in Robin Evans pension pot *cough*

Hi LadyMuck,.

This is a very interesting Post/Q. to me - as I am thinking of buying a boat as a Perm home in future (..As I can't afford luxury of getting near Housing !!) The Government put that rest for me.

As you say at end -- we all need live somewhere. Everybody needs a Home... & my view the Canals should be a easy soultion for lot people like me. I keep hearing off politicians that there going be a Housing shortage very soon - well in my view WAke up & let people live how they want - As long as not breaking any rules or annoyance other community..

Cheeers

Newbee

They seem to annoy other boaters.

Sue

Hi LadyMuck,.

Cheeers

Newbee

And there lies the problem!

People who decide that they are going to live on a boat, but DON'T obey the rules.

No one has a problem with boaters that stick to the rules!!!!!!!!

Suggest you have a look at

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/GENERAL-TERMS-AND-CONDITIONS-FOR-BOAT-LICENCES-E&W-from-Aug-2011.pdf

Have a close look at schedule 2 which has been updated.

Also, London bound/based boaters ...

http://www.britishwaterways.co.uk/media/documents/Addendum-to-Licence-Terms-Olympics-2012-June-2011.pdf

BTW, both the length inspectors and Data Checkers/Enforcement Officers use the hand held computer but are going different things with them namely the former checking the actual structure of the canal and the latter checking boat licenses.

HTH

D