blue flexi type blue cable

stormforce

Featured Posts

The blue cable is usually "Arctic" cable, designed to remain flexible and non brittle in freezing conditions, (indeed probably even real "arctic" conditions!.....)

I'm not sure if most orange cable is to an "Arctic" spec or not? It's probably still going to be OK in UK winters, but may become very inflexible.

The other thing is that most supplies used by boats are capable of up to 16 amps. That means, if you plan to exploit it, you need a cable capable of this. Arctic comes, for example in 2.5mm and 1.5mm sizes, and the 2.5mm is what you really need for a boat shoreline.

There is also "Yellow" (and blue) sheathed arctic cable - Blue is designated for 230 V Mains and yellow for 115V mains... Arctic cable is much more flexible, especially at low temps, and for 16 amp supplies, really the 2.5 mm is the better cable, even for shorter runs, and needed for longer runs.

Nick

Hello again people sun still shining :rolleyes: Whats the difference between the blue flexi type blue cable and the orange one sold for caravan hook up apart from the price.Can get a orange one Soooo much cheaper than blue.

Stormforce

Arctic cable (usually blue) is flexible to -20°C.

That said I've never had a problem with PVC flex from a normal extension cable, but it doesn't get to -20°C around here very often :)

So I'd be happy with the normal, but shop around and the arctic stuff may be almost as cheap.

cheers,

Pete.

Stormforce.

I realise that you are trying to save money but sometimes the only thing to do is buy the correct item, especially where electrics are concerned.

My advice and you at at total liberty to ignore it, ;) is to buy the 'arctic' and make sure it is at least 2.5mm squared cores.

ps. buy one that is longer than your boat.

Edit: speliiiing.

Edited by bottle

There is also "Yellow" (and blue) sheathed arctic cable - Blue is designated for 230 V Mains and yellow for 115V mains... Arctic cable is much more flexible, especially at low temps, and for 16 amp supplies, really the 2.5 mm is the better cable, even for shorter runs, and needed for longer runs.

Nick

You can get yellow arctic cable as well as blue. I've used the yellow 2.5mm cable for the mains hook up with the blue 240V connectors on the ends. Although not to regs it means that you can see it easily when cutting the grass.

Ok should put my 2p in here

There has been much discussion on the IET forums (http://www.theiet.org/) following an article in wiring matters about the suitability of blue arctic cable for use at 230volts.

The gist of it is that the blue cable does not meet the regulations as it was designed to be used on the O/P of transformers at 55-0-55 and the blue cable is the same spec as the yellow and thus does not meet the current regulations and the name is a misnomer as its not good insulation wise at lower temperatures.

If you care to check in BS7671:2011 it doesnt directly mention the connecting cable in the marinas section, however it does in both the caravan and caravan site sections and it says that the cable used should be HO7RN-F to BS7919 or equivalent.

Blue Arctic does not meet this spec so use at your own risk.

I have always used H07RNF as its a far better cable

• Greenie 1

Sorry to be a pain but whats the difference between a caravan or camper being on a mains hook up using the orange cable l mentioned and a boat on a mains hook up using the orange cable ? except ones floating on water.and the others a pain when you are stuck behind it( not on the canal ) :wub:

Stormforce

Edited by stormforce

Irrespective of whether you go for orange, blue or whatever, the biggest problem with shorelines is physical damage caused by them getting walked on, shut in doors, stones and other rough surfaces and the occasional dunk in the cut when they droop between shore and boat.

In theory, the pillar RCD should trip, but its not guaranteed depending on the marina, boatyard etc.

When was the last time you inspected the whole length of your shoreline or had it tested ??

Irrespective of whether you go for orange, blue or whatever, the biggest problem with shorelines is physical damage caused by them getting walked on, shut in doors, stones and other rough surfaces and the occasional dunk in the cut when they droop between shore and boat.

Which, trawling through the rather old threads about this on the IET forums, is the gist of the reason for HO7RN-F being recommended. Basically it's tougher (and more flexible at low temps).

Tony

Sorry to be a pain but whats the difference between a caravan or camper being on a mains hook up using the orange cable l mentioned and a boat on a mains hook up using the orange cable ?

None. Except the article mentioned above didn't specifically mention marine applications. In fact one of the proponents of HO7RN-F mentioned that his (qualified) son uses blue arctic on his own boat.

Edited by WotEver

In theory, the pillar RCD should trip, but its not guaranteed depending on the marina, boatyard etc.

When was the last time you inspected the whole length of your shoreline or had it tested ??

At one of our moorings our neighbours power tripped out as we were talking to him. Ours stayed on, so it was not a general problem at the site.

Inspection showed that the local rat population had chewed through the cable where it ran along the hedgerow on it's way to his boat.

Not sure if they prefer the colour of, or flavour of, any particular type. His was orange, (except at the point where it was brown, blue, green and yellow, and charred!).

Ok should put my 2p in here

There has been much discussion on the IET forums (http://www.theiet.org/) following an article in wiring matters about the suitability of blue arctic cable for use at 230volts.

The gist of it is that the blue cable does not meet the regulations as it was designed to be used on the O/P of transformers at 55-0-55 and the blue cable is the same spec as the yellow and thus does not meet the current regulations and the name is a misnomer as its not good insulation wise at lower temperatures.

If you care to check in BS7671:2011 it doesnt directly mention the connecting cable in the marinas section, however it does in both the caravan and caravan site sections and it says that the cable used should be HO7RN-F to BS7919 or equivalent.

Blue Arctic does not meet this spec so use at your own risk.

I have always used H07RNF as its a far better cable

Doesn't the BS 6500 say its good for 300-500V ? Frankly I'm somewhat skeptical of a post like this as it makes no sense and if it were true we'd all be running round ripping out our 'blue artic' grade cables and all the professional users (hire companies, TV/Stage crews you name it ) would all be throwing it in the bin.

now lets look at the thread the argument says the cable is no good because it can only deal with '55-0-55' i.e centre tapped to earth isolation transformers as used in building sites and workplaces (some). so this means the insulation between the L an N is still 55+55 = 110V so kind of knocks a hole in the post to me ? further more and I'm not an expert here but in my experience the blue cable is used on the INPUT (i.e 220v side) side of most 110V tool transformers and the yellow on the output

whatever the the technical arguments the fact is the ubquitous blue and yellow artic grade cables bought from reputable suppliers is to BS6500 and safe for up to 500v according to that. From a quick check on google BS6500 seems to apply to domestic and light office applications, artic grade is deemed suitable for outdoor use due to its low temp characteristic but it clearly isn't designed for heavy duty use /abrasion etc where tougher cables would be needed.

so you pays your money and takes your choice...

From a quick check on google BS6500 seems to apply to domestic and light office applications, artic grade is deemed suitable for outdoor use due to its low temp characteristic but it clearly isn't designed for heavy duty use /abrasion etc where tougher cables would be needed.

so you pays your money and takes your choice...

I did my internal wiring in artic on the advice of forum members as it is so flexible, it is certainly sold as suitable for 230v indoor and outdoor use. I did notice though that it is noticeably softer than normal pvc cable and so i suspect less abrasion resistant so maybe not the best for outdoor leads and why the doubts on it's use in construction sites.

Me thinks - A new rule, sponsored by the cable manufacturers?

One thing that his comment does bring to mind is that not all mains flex is made to the same standards, and not all "blue cable" is actually made to a proper arctic temperature range. Last winter I had some of the "cheap stuff" fail a simple bend at -10C - just make sure what you are buying really is what you think it is.

Which, trawling through the rather old threads about this on the IET forums, is the gist of the reason for HO7RN-F being recommended. Basically it's tougher (and more flexible at low temps).

Tony

If the search Facility was better on CWDF you could have found all you needed to know about HO7RN-F here.

try H07 CWDF Google search

None. Except the article mentioned above didn't specifically mention marine applications. In fact one of the proponents of HO7RN-F mentioned that his(qualified) son uses blue arctic on his own boat.

Tony

I don't think that type of approach is probably the right one!

Doesn't the BS 6500 say its good for 300-500V ? Frankly I'm somewhat skeptical of a post like this as it makes no sense and if it were true we'd all be running round ripping out our 'blue artic' grade cables and all the professional users (hire companies, TV/Stage crews you name it ) would all be throwing it in the bin.

Be a skeptical as you like I read your post as saying la la la I dont want to listen.

As I work for the largest suppler of cables to the entertainment industry and before that I worked for the largest UK lighting hire company I can state that very few professional users use blue arctic cable, professional users almost without exception use H07RNF.

Be a skeptical as you like I read your post as saying la la la I dont want to listen.

As I work for the largest suppler of cables to the entertainment industry and before that I worked for the largest UK lighting hire company I can state that very few professional users use blue arctic cable, professional users almost without exception use H07RNF.

quite right for professional work..

But i don't think its right to scare monger and then be irritated when someone pulls you up... (sorry thats how I saw your post, even if you didn't intend that)

I'll remain skeptical as thats always wise with any forum (however good) and make up my own mind whats right in my cirumstances.

Edited by jonathanA

quite right for professional work..

But i don't think its right to scare monger and then be irritated when someone pulls you up... (sorry thats how I saw your post, even if you didn't intend that)

No scaremongering going on at all just passing on information on the correct way to do things.

Oh and nothing on here irritates me I might look and think people are stupid but thats as far as it goes.

• Greenie 1

One thing that his comment does bring to mind is that not all mains flex is made to the same standards, and not all "blue cable" is actually made to a proper arctic temperature range. Last winter I had some of the "cheap stuff" fail a simple bend at -10C - just make sure what you are buying really is what you think it is.

Fair enough but I've not had any problem in 20 years with normal 1.5mm PVC.

Maybe the OP could buy an offcut of cable and try it in a freezer. :)

cheers,

Pete.

Edited by smileypete