Best boat insurers

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

Hi,

I am sure that others will respond, but you could be limited by age of hull (normal cut off point 20 years before survey) and need to have a hull survey, this may limit you to 3rd party insurance only.

There is a basic Third Party insurer who may help.

Good luck and happy boating.

Leo

Edited by LEO

Thanks folks. The boat is a 1988 build and the hull was surveyed literally just this month and one weld reccomended and completed, so that should be ok?

I would like to have something a little more than third party but prob not fully comp- is there any such thing as insurance for third party, fire, theft and sinking?!

Edited by Starcoaster

Thanks folks. The boat is a 1988 build and the hull was surveyed literally just this month and one weld reccomended and completed, so that should be ok?

The insurers may want a survey that is specifically geared towards an insurable value.

As I don't do fully comp (I never own what I can't afford to lose) others will be able to tell you more.

I used towergate mardon were very good.got £10.000 worth of contents cover as well.One company rang and asked if l had put decimal point in wrong place and meant £1000!

I asked her how much her home contents were worth that shut her up. :cheers:

14Skipper

Hi, Collidge and Partners will insure your age of boat however you want,they need to have a copy of the survey and current BSS certificate,all of this can be done online and in my opinion their quotes are competitive for the amount of cover you get, our boat is 33 yrs old,55ft and fully comp with contents etc is around the £200 mark.Initially I tried for quotes from other agents and hit a brick wall when the age bit was entered!!.

Hope this helps,

Geoff

P.S. If I recall,they will need your mooring address also.

Please would you add your personal reccomendations for firms that insure narrowboats?

If it helps, I am going to be living aboard and in a marina although likely not on a full residential permit at first.

Try Navigators & General - been good to me.

Currently undergoing a claim with Towergate for a house break-in, and its slow and painful... even though the loss adjustor approved all my claim..

The broker who I went through, said their average payout time is some 26 weeks and now doesn't usually place business with them any more

I use CraftInsure, who are a little pricier than some, I think, and I have not had to make any claims so far so don't know how that might turn out....

Nick

HI, and congrats on getting your boat. We also use Collidge and prtns, they've been really helpful and have had no issues so far insuring our 28 year old narrowboat. She's a 43' trad, and premium this last time was £178 fully comp.

Good luck with your new life on the boat.

Very best wishes

Janey

NB Ladybird.

I hope you have never had to claim, but my experience with Towergate on a non-boating claim was horrific.

I have never had to claim, but if they messed me about I am sure that a quick phone call to my friend Michael Stimpson would sort things out.

Please would you add your personal reccomendations for firms that insure narrowboats?

If it helps, I am going to be living aboard and in a marina although likely not on a full residential permit at first.

It is difficult for any one to recommend any insurer or otherwise unless they have actually claimed.

The true measure of how good a company is what happens at claim time. They will all generally be very good at policy set up/pay up time some less good at pay out (back to you) time..

I'm with Craft Insure this year - very easy to set up on line, and the policy was competitively priced, however never claimed from them (thankfully) though so cannot yet recommend them.

http://gjwdirect.co.uk/inland/

Hi congrats on you boat.

i used the above as they are based just over road from me here in Liverpool

the are charging me £114.50 for A 24Yo PIPER BOAT. 43 FOOT cant complain at that

I used to be with them, and they settled a break in claim without any fuss, but some years later, they refused to accept a revaluation of the boat after extensive re-furbishment, which meant that the boat was undervalued by about 30%, so I moved to Michael Stimpson (Towergate Mardon) who acceopted the re-valuation, without any significant increase in premium.

Edited by David Schweizer

I was with Haven Knox Johnson. My boat sank on The Thames in the 2007 floods, the boat lay on the bottom for 6 weeks as river levels were high, as soon as they subsided, I rang them to ask the assessor to call. He arrived 2 days later and declared the boat a total loss. The cheque was posted within 10 days of the assessors visit. I was very impressed, the lady who took my initial call on the day of the sinking was a real sweetheart, calmed me down, and was most sympathetic. I don't currently own a boat, my next narrowboat purchase will be next year. Guess who I will be insuring it with, I don't care how much they charge, peace of mind is priceless.

• Greenie 1

Like Carl, I am very satisfied with Basic Boat Liability. It covers third party damage and salvage - so you won't get a big bill if it sinks and has to be removed from the waterway. It costs £69 for a 70' boat. It will meet the requirement for getting your licence, and I would suggest taking that out now because it is quick and easy and cheap and covers you for the two most expensive eventualities.

If you are looking to cover damage to your own boat and/or loss of/damage to contents, it will get a lot more expensive. I never take out more insurance than the basic legal requirement on anything as my belief is that by and large it's a scam and they will usually find a way to get out of paying claims anyway.