Going to look at a butty

Chertsey

Featured Posts

We did it the wrong way round & bought the butty before the motor. We had a pair surveyed prior to purchase & the surveyor showed us that the butty was in reasonable condition but the motor would need a lot of work. So we bought the butty & whilst we continued to look for a motor we got to know quite a few people with motors who gave us a snatch to various places. This was a great way of making new friends & we learnt a lot in the process. But our addiction continued & we now own 2 motors one Woolwich & one Northwich.

These days we don't tend to do much boating with the butty as trading 2 handed is hard work & time consuming. Though steering a butty can be a lovely serene way of boating for the steerer.

As for values, they are quite a limited market & I don't think you will get so much return on any money invested in repairs.

Is this a madness too far?

Don't be so ridiculous......

Nobody in their right mind would chose to take on a second boat when they already have one perfectly good one.......

Alternatively......

Why not simply join the insane, and be done with it ?

Bodmin?

I know of one or two people who are interested so best be quick!

I'd like to state categorically we are not one of them.

........ Although if anybody knows a nicely presented little BW work flat........

........ Although if anybody knows a nicely presented little BW work flat........

As you are cruising around, if you spot one you like, hook it on and off you go. Job done :)

ETA: Mud hopper? http://commercial.apolloduck.co.uk/display.phtml?aid=209915

ETA again: Make a few quid as you go around? http://commercial.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=200238

Go for it you know you want to!!! Now, if anyone knows who owns Meteor, let them know I want to buy her!!!!!

Regards

Dan

I think there was something odd going on (disputed ownership?) and she disappeared, but never heard the outcome. Anyone know where she is now?

Edited by Speedwheel

She's at the end of the Cannock Extension at Pelsall. Saw her when we were at the festival there in June but alas no one was around to ask! She was found eventually, behind a barn. We lost out on bidding on her but would love to get her back!

Edit for spelling!!!

Edited by stagedamager

The absolute killer (of a sane and sensible outcome) would be to moor Chertsey alongside while viewing.

Just so you can get a clear image of what the pairing will look like, of course!!

Good Luck.

Fortunately, that would be somewhat impracticable.

I found dragging Marcellus around was great fun, and moved home once with the all of our belongings in the butty's hold.

It does make finding an overnight mooring tricky at popular sites on narrow canals.

If you're boating with your partner it can be lonely and makes tea, coffee, bacon rolls, popping to the loo awkward.

You'll get fed up being asked if the engine's broken.

When you come to sell it on you'll get fed up being asked what sort of engine it has.

All in all it was a terrific experience and wonderful to do, however the everlasting inconvenience was trying to explain to boats going in the opposite direction at narrow locks how much more convenient it would be for you if they let you butty through water levels allowing. They don't tend to understand so you either upset people or end up doing a lot of tying up and going back with both boats.

Go for it and enjoy keeping a bit of history going

I am pretty sure that if I do succumb, either now or at some point in the future, it will have to be a fellow big Woolwich.

Why? Chertesey's original (intended) pairing was Chesham, a big Ricky.

From recent posts here I understand Lichfield and Tilbury (Jester) are looking for new homes.....

David

From recent posts here I understand Lichfield and Tilbury (Jester) are looking for new homes.....

David

Na, I want one that floats.

Anyway, I don't think Chertsey was ever actually paired with Chesham, but was with Staverton (also a Ricky) from the start. I just like Woolwiches.

David

And less distance to actually come and fetch "Jester" than that Woolwich, too!

(I understand it is "free to a good home" ?).

But I'm not even mad enough to want a butty.....

(Whatever it is constructed from!.....).

........ Or at least not until I get a lot better handling just the one!........

Ah, surely a butty can only help with stability and stopping power. Especially if it's half sunken....

Ah, surely a butty can only help with stability and stopping power. Especially if it's half sunken....

Yes,

But given how fast Sickle "takes off" even when you think you are being quite restrained, I fear it would not be long before the only bits of "Jester" slowing me down were the stem post, and maybe pits of just a few planks......

You buy your butty first, and if you are feeling brave enough, I'll tow it part of the way up to you, to shorten your collection trip. :rolleyes:

I have obviously missed this detail somewhere but TILBURY and JESTER are not one of the same boat !

Ah,

This has probably come from a thread that linked the two, and where someone who owned it briefly, (to get it's mooring), referred to it as "Jester (Tilbury)"

Linky

I know the HNBOC Newsletter also made that association, but as the source given was Kerry Dainty, perhaps she got that from the forum ?

Can you enlighten us as to why it isn't Tilbury, then, please, Pete, and do you have any idea what it is ?

Ah,

This has probably come from a thread that linked the two, and where someone who owned it briefly, (to get it's mooring), referred to it as "Jester (Tilbury)"

Linky

I know the HNBOC Newsletter also made that association, but as the source given was Kerry Dainty, perhaps she got that from the forum ?

Can you enlighten us as to why it isn't Tilbury, then, please, Pete, and do you have any idea what it is ?

I have records of all of the narrow boats converted by Floating Homes Ltd., West Byfleet. Following conversion most if not all of these boats were renamed which has caused no end of confusion. Fortunately the progress of these conversions was monitored and recorded at the time by 'enthusiasts' (and possibly by one of the residents) and I also have some of these records. This is how I know that TILBURY was renamed TRITON on its conversion to a house boat and I have a list of subsequent owners followed by a record of its being broken up on the Basingstoke Canal in 1998

Unfortunately JESTER is one of the boats where its history has been lost for the time being, except that it is without doubt a Large Ricky butty.

I do not know where Miss Dainty got her information from that was published in a recent H.N.B.O.C. NewsLetter. I have become rather dissapointed with this publication of late as it carries too many of these unfounded and poorly researched claims. This is not however the reason why I have decided not to renew my H.N.B.O.C. membership of 23 years.