Cruising Club interview on Thursday

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Janet and I have an interview for membership of the Watch House Cruising Club at Stretford, Manchester on Thursday evening!!

Been told there is no need to be nervous, but can't help it!

Fingers Crossed

Richard

Nothing to worry about. They just want to see you face to face before admitting you.

Steve

I moor along the way from The Watch House, so they are my 'neighbours'. Although they've been known to like a pint or three in the past they'd be better recognised now by their hardware/tool collection. The past couple of times I've been down on a business related trip they have all been working very hard to improve their club and the surrounding land and towpath.

They're currently going through clearing all of the land behind their clubhouse which has been used as a local rubbish tip for years, and they're also repainting and repairing their clubhouse, aswell as adding a new workshop area, and shower room. They've completed their new toilets which are a great improvement now.

Their clubhouse, the Watch House building is the oldest building in Stretford and pre-dates the canal so plenty of history there. Myself and Kerry had a guided tour the other week, which was very interesting.

There's no need to panic Richard, you'll be fine. They are all very nice people and down to earth I'm sure you'll be fine.

Pie Eater - the meeting was arranged in the bar on Saturday night. We've already looked into each others eyes :) We're hoping it is a rubber stamp exercise, but still can't help being nervous.

Liam - your name has already been mentioned as the best source for diesel, coal, and wood, amongst other things.... Which I already knew anyway! We have a couple of friends at the club, so have seen the improvements, and the hard work of the past few weeks on the new "patio and barbecue area".

Thanks to all for the replies

Richard

Edited by Richard10002

Pie Eater - the meeting was arranged in the bar on Saturday night. We've already looked into each others eyes :) We're hoping it is a rubber stamp exercise, but still can't help being nervous.

Liam - your name has already been mentioned as the best source for diesel, coal, and wood, amongst other things.... Which I already knew anyway! We have a couple of friends at the club, so have seen the improvements, and the hard work of the past few weeks on the new "patio and barbecue area".

Thanks to all for the replies

Richard

I'm intrigued. Have we already met? :cheers:

I'm intrigued. Have we already met? :cheers:

No, but I'm sure we will. Phil and Tracey of My Girl at Watch House said we should buy stuff from you, and I've seen your messages on here over the past year or so, so I know where you are based, and what you do :). Effective marketing!

Good News!

We've been interviewed, albeit fairly briefly, and have been accepted as members. We now have a 45ft berth at Stretford, and somewhere to have a drink and talk about boats :)

Now we need our survey to go well tomorrow, or we'll have a mooring but no boat :(

In passing, we were advised that our Bridgewater licence for 2012 will cost just short of £1000 for our 45ft boat, and someone with a 57ft boat was told just over £1000. I think a 22ft boat was just over £500.

Apparently they have increased by 5%

Cheers,

Richard

Good News!

We've been interviewed, albeit fairly briefly, and have been accepted as members. We now have a 45ft berth at Stretford, and somewhere to have a drink and talk about boats :)

Now we need our survey to go well tomorrow, or we'll have a mooring but no boat :(

In passing, we were advised that our Bridgewater licence for 2012 will cost just short of £1000 for our 45ft boat, and someone with a 57ft boat was told just over £1000. I think a 22ft boat was just over £500.

Apparently they have increased by 5%

Cheers,

Richard

Richard

I think the £1000 cost may be for the Cruising Licence and Mooring Fees as the Cruising Licence for my 40ft narrowboat was £416 this year.

Steve