Is posting on fora using an alias cowardly?

Dominic M

Featured Posts

An interesting thread.

This is the first forum I've joined and have felt a bit silly sometimes for being boring and using my real name. It's far more interesting to introduce yourself at banters as "hi I'm Smelly" than "hi I'm Ange"!

I understand that you have to be cautious on the internet, I'm probably not so clever for having my date of birth available for all to see and I was quite shocked when a fellow forum member found me on Facebook from my forum profile which, as far as I know, doesn't give away my surname. It was a giggle at the time but I do worry sometimes that I give away too much on the internet.

I always assume when I "talk" to anyone on the forum that there's a very good chance we'll meet one day, which makes me more thoughtful in my postings than if I was totally anonymous.

I have no idea why some members won't put their boat names in their profile.

An interesting thread.

This is the first forum I've joined and have felt a bit silly sometimes for being boring and using my real name. It's far more interesting to introduce yourself at banters as "hi I'm Smelly" than "hi I'm Ange"!

I understand that you have to be cautious on the internet, I'm probably not so clever for having my date of birth available for all to see and I was quite shocked when a fellow forum member found me on Facebook from my forum profile which, as far as I know, doesn't give away my surname. It was a giggle at the time but I do worry sometimes that I give away too much on the internet.

I always assume when I "talk" to anyone on the forum that there's a very good chance we'll meet one day, which makes me more thoughtful in my postings than if I was totally anonymous.

Well, my boat is called "Shy Ted," and to be honest, some find it offensive.

How long would it take someone to have a good idea of your address from your boat name? I repeat - boaters, are you sure that no-one is burgling your home whilst you cheerfully publish personal information on this forum?

How long would it take someone to have a good idea of your address from your boat name? I repeat - boaters, are you sure that no-one is burgling your home whilst you cheerfully publish personal information on this forum?

yet when you got all high and mighty about anonymity, the other day, it took me less than 5 minutes to get your real name, boat name and index number, home phone number, home address, musical tastes, charity interests and the knowledge that you have an unhealthy interest in bigot comedians.

Are you sure that no-one...

Edited by carlt

Hi Dominic M

Since you have not told me your surname, I actually don't know who you are.

Also, on forums there is a convention that the members can choose "user-names" if they wish. I choose to stick with "Gollywobbler" because I am known - internationally - as Gollywobbler, though not in connection with canal boats. Just Google Gollywobbler and you will find out, I expect.

So what is an American who lets out homes in the States doing on a (UK) canal site? Or are you one of the seemingly dozens of other GollyWobblers? Almost as good as signing on as John Doe I guess and then saying you can easily be found. Interestingly many of the respondents on this thread who say "you can see who I am if you check my details" are being economic with the truth, as there is very little more detail there on the majority of entries.

I don't think I know more than 5 or 6 people on this forum, though if I knew which name they were trading under I may well know rather more. Writing anonymously does encourage people to say things they would not otherwise say. Regular subscribers do obviously gradually get to know each other in one sense, even if they might see each other at a lock and have no idea who they were sharing with, and whether they had slagged that person off or had useful information from them. I personally find it uncomfortable, but perhaps it's an age thing.

I'm happy with Dominic's "fora", but it depends on which school you went to (and probably how long ago that was) :rolleyes:

Edited by Tam & Di

I'm me, I've met a few people on here and they know me as matty. I use the same user name on here as I do on several other interest sites, and can't see any reason to be anything other than transparent.

However,I spent years on football forums whilst working for a motorway services operator.

To get round the strict IT guidelines (and drum up some fantastic sales opportunities!!), I used the moniker Roadchef, which was eventually banned by the BBC 606 as I had reacted too often to forumtrolls (from Preston).

I then went back under a constantly changing moniker which was very topical to supporters of my club (blackpool)but always retained the original form.however, I only ever have had one identity on any forum I have ever been on, and couldn't be arsed creating false ones to do whatever.

My first x wife was a payroll officer in the MOD one of her female payees first name was Bunny something (can't remember) anyway she married a guy she worked with who's surname was Rabbits So her new name became Bunny Rabbits. However it didn't end there, My x also paid her new husband who she later realised his first happened to be Roger.

Roger Rabbits bunny rabbits.

Not a joke, it's true.

Real and nicknames in one, they must be on a forum somewhere laugh.gif

ETA new for real

Edited by Julynian

Well, my boat is called "Shy Ted," and to be honest, some find it offensive.

:D I had to say that out loud before I understood!!

Well in my case my boat name is my permanent address, so not applicable.

Just out of interest, when you're naming and shaming other boaters on the internet does it not occur to you that you may be advertising their absence from home?

:D

Just out of interest, when you're naming and shaming other boaters on the internet does it not occur to you that you may be advertising their absence from home?

Oops, seems the charges are mounting up.

Not only a coward, but now a hypocrite as well.

p.s. I plead guilty to a charge of cowardice, think my user name says that for itself.

*editted to remove confusion

Edited by Yellowback

My first x wife was a payroll officer in the MOD one of her female payees first name was Bunny something (can't remember) anyway she married a guy she worked with who's surname was Rabbits So her new name became Bunny Rabbits. However it didn't end there, My x also paid her new husband who she later realised his first happened to be Roger.

Roger Rabbits bunny rabbits.

Not a joke, it's true.

Real and nicknames in one, they must be on a forum somewhere laugh.gif

ETA new for real

A friend of mine lived next door to a man named Donald at one time,Donalds surname was Duck.

Another true one.

I also worked with 2 men and ones surname was curry and the others surname was Rice.

Also worked with a Green and a Shields

I don't see any problem with anonymity per se, but I do think that in an ideal world if you choose to benefit from the use of this option there is an implicit unspoken responsibility to respect other people's privacy in return.

Oops, seems the charges are mounting up.

Not only a coward, but now a hypocrite as well.

p.s. I plead guilty to a charge of cowardice, think my user name says that for itself.

Not sure whether you intended to quote me when you wrote this post.

If you did - sorry, I have no idea of your posting history, and wasn't aware of you ever naming and shaming anyone. My post was definitely not aimed at you.

If not, no worries.

I'm still wondering how anyone can get someone's home address from their boat name - I know I can be very naive on the internet but that sounds very paranoid to me.

Edited by Ange

I'm still wondering how anyone can get someone's home address from their boat name - I know I can be very naive on the internet but that sounds very paranoid to me.

Me too, the only way I can think of is if there was some 'bent' employee at BW or Marina/mooring owner prepared to give the details out....

As to Dominic's OP I do think there is an issue about a few folk who post on here who wouldn't have the balls (females included in that BTW) to dole out what they do if we were all in a big room together and we were conversing face to face.

Anonymity is just fine by me, just don't use it to eliminate accountability...

So naming someone else's boat is ok then or would you have been happy to see there house burgled

Anyway I am happy that no one knows who I am and would never use my real name on the internet.

I take part in a couple of other (non-boating) fora, or forums if you will (whoever heard of the mass mediums?) and choosing a user-name is part of the fun: a name which you like rather than the one with which your parents bestowed you. My user-name is an abbreviation of my surname, and is the nickname by which I was often known at school. My avatar depicts my house and my (fairly distinctive) boat so I don't think I'm being excessively furtive.

Speaking of user-names, I have recently rejoined this forum after six months without internet connection and I'm pleased to be back. Before I was forced to stop participating, I used to enjoy the contributions of one "Phylis" and her verbal sparring with other members. Now, although I have seen references to her, she does not appear to be taking an active part in the forum. What's happened to her?

Edited by Athy

Now, although I have seen references to her, she does not appear to be taking an active part in the forum. What's happened to her?

Phylis is still here but I think her post count varies with how busy she is at work.

Civil engineers like the sunshine and I always used to use the good weather to top up my mielage claims, rather than sit in a grotty office, playing on the computer.

Not sure whether you intended to quote me when you wrote this post.

If you did - sorry, I have no idea of your posting history, and wasn't aware of you ever naming and shaming anyone. My post was definitely not aimed at you.

If not, no worries.

Sorry for the confusion Ange, I was commenting on

which obviously was aimed elsewhere, not at you.