A question of etiquette

craigx

Featured Posts

Anyway, isn't it really bad for your engine to be permanently on tickover? Apart from the battery charging issue mentioned earlier, an engine permanently on tickover will not get its cylinders hot enough and will likely suffer from glazing and carbon build up, resulting in smoking and oil consumption. So these folks on permanent tickover in the middle of the canal not only inflict their choice of speed on vast majority of sensible boaters, but also give me a coughing fit, smarting eyes and maybe lung cancer when I have to endure their smoke whilst sharing a lock! Nice people!

Didn't say idling was the only speed. And you're taking it to literally.

On the motorway I like to vary the speed of the journey. I know where I've got to go but, if I want, I'll crawl along on the inside lane. I can't stop people racing along but I'm damned sure their need to get somewhere at 90 mph isn't going to ruin my day. I might ruin their' day if they get stuck behind me at 70, because they ain't going any faster until the way allows.

I've got no sympathy for you if you want to erode the banks of the canal. If you do want to travel that way then maybe you've picked the wrong mode of transport.

I'd have thought that if you want to relax, then the canal is a place you should be able to do just that. If you want time-tables and schedules then stay at work or in town and don't force your inability to relax on others. Stress yourself out.

I'll let you pass and won't do my idling in inconvenient places. That's all I'll promise.

And there, as they say, is the rub.

There are some people who stroll merrily through life not giving a flying £^€% what effect their behaviour has on others.

Whether this manifests itself in obstructing other people's passage, overstaying, providing false information or whatever, the sentiment remains the same: it is a wilful disregard for the basic requests society makes of all people in exchange for the benefits they enjoy.

At best, it is antisocial. At worst, sociopathic.

If you're enjoying the waterways, that is wonderful. If, in your enjoyment, you cause stress and distress to others, that is bad.

And if you can't evaluate objectively whether your own conduct is at fault, then there is a good chance you are more sociopathic than antisocial.

• Greenie 3

I've got no sympathy for you if you want to erode the banks of the canal.

In general I agree with what you're saying but be careful with assumptions like this. I remember having a run-in with someone on a square-sterned 1980s boat who took exception to my wanting to overtake as I was a "bloody formula one driver" and "washing all the bloody banks away". Except my boat caught up with his whilst producing noticably less wash and less smoke than his, and it certainly wasn't doing any damage.

Needless to say he then got the hump and proceeded to thrash off into the distance in a manner that he himself would definitely have complained about had he had a sliver of self-discipline.

And there, as they say, is the rub.

There are some people who stroll merrily through life not giving a flying £^€% what effect their behaviour has on others.

And if you can't evaluate objectively whether your own conduct is at fault, then there is a good chance you are more sociopathic than antisocial.

What other reaction could I have expected from the speedter's lobby. ?? You should look where your going. I'll hear you steaming up. All the wild life, in the banks, will be bracing itself.

You're not a banker, are you?

It seems to be very difficult getting the concept of peace and quiet and slowing one's pace down, to some. I just happen to think it produces less stress and is more sympathetic to the environment.

No -lol - we tend to trundle along a little faster than tickover, where conditions allow. Obviously we don't hang around on tidal waterways - and it was more than a little scary being forced to follow a boat on tickover down a tidal stretch!

I'm more than happy chugging along, enjoying the slower pace and most boaters (including us) are considerate about passing and letting pass.

There's always the odd one... Story of life really :)

While we're talking about unreasonable assumptions, let's deal with the obvious one: the assumption that anyone who wants to get past anyone else on the waterways is speeding, eroding the banks, part of the 'speeders lobby' etc etc etc.

Like I said, for me the issue is people who cannot objectively evaluate the impact of their own behaviour on others.

There is a clear contradiction between wanting to slow down and enjoy the waterways and insisting that anyone wanting to get past is damaging the environment.

If someone else wants to boat responsibly but at 0.5mph faster than you, without creating a wash or causing damage, then comments about them speeding and causing damage are clearly unreasonable assumptions.

• Greenie 1

Guest Quo Vadis

I recall not so long ago being one of a convoy of boats all stuck behind a boat travelling far too slowly. It was not only neccessary to keep selecting neutral but also bursts of forward and reverse just to keep enough rudder authority to not ground. The vista ahead was full of other boats doing the same in intermittant spurts of uncontrolled drifting followed by a bit of engine to regain control. The boat at the front was quite determined, like Petain at Verdun that "they shall not pass" and caused a situation fraught with peril and frustration by his determination to impose his personal decision as an enforced speed limit.

As for "If you're in a hurry you shouldn't be on the canal", why not take it to it's logical conclusion and stay on your mooring, what does it matter if you delay your journey by a year or two? Rather, if you have nowhere to go and no need to go there, save us all some bother and don't untie the ropes.

I'm impressed that the boat in front was able to maintain control at such a slow speed, a better designed boat maybe? Is this why some people's idea of slow passing moored boats differs so wildly? Some boats obviously require a faster minimum speed to maintain control, and as such I apologise for all those dirty looks I've given to boaters who must have simply been struggling to keep control.

By the same token, there is no excuse for "they shall not pass", just plain rude! If you really have no chance of passing and it's winding you up, perhaps a stop for tea would do the trick, you can then cruise on at your own speed .... better to get there late, than knackered & stressed innit? I'm sorry to say that my view of "canal time" is measured in hours, not minutes, but I'll do my best to keep out of your way :)

Edited by Quo Vadis

The topic of this post is etiquette. It then morphed into slow boaters holding others up, getting in the way and generally becoming obstacles to those with other needs.

All boaters that want to overtake are not bank detroyers and anti-social. All slow boaters are not twerps without awareness, or indeed want to be obstructive or anti-social.

There's lots of grey in between the black and white. Somewhere in there we should be able to mix it a bit.

I decided to take a contrary view to some because that's what happens. I do favour slower boating, and I understand, that is my choice. I enjoy the countryside and to do that,I slow down. Enjoying the country is not my preserve and I wouldn't want to say that others don't.

I do keep looking at my bow wave and wondering when it's too much. On wider river cruising, more throttle doesn't matter to the same degree.

The canal is used by a wide group of people and there will never be total agreement. It might be safe to say that some cyclists show a complete disregard for other users.

I'm finished with this post. Have a good day

Personally, I go boating to go boating.

I don't do it as an antidote to the modern pace of life, although that is a bonus.

I like the challenge of doing it efficiently, safely and without damaging the canal, its structures or any other vessel.

I don't do it to gaze around admiring the landscape at the slowest pace possible, that's for when I go for a walk,those that do it are rarely in full control of their boat. So don't tell me I've chosen the wrong form of transport because it's more likely to be you.

Keith

Hear hear! Totally agree with all that!

• Greenie 1

I don't do it as an antidote to the modern pace of life, although that is a bonus.

I like the challenge of doing it efficiently, safely and without damaging the canal, its structures or any other vessel.

I don't do it to gaze around admiring the landscape at the slowest pace possible, that's for when I go for a walk,those that do it are rarely in full control of their boat. So don't tell me I've chosen the wrong form of transport because it's more likely to be you.

Keith

Hear hear.

Keith

Have a greenie

Keith

Another one in agreement very well said.

Some of us like to go as slow as we can, some will go at what ever speed the canal conditions we are on will allow without going so fast that we do damage and a very few are just idiots who don't care and will be speed merchants not caring how much damage they do, or on a go slow and don't care about others.

But the vast majourity will fall into the first 2 groups travelling at what ever speeds suits them.

All as it takes is a little consideration from both and we can all boat happily together

Keith

Exactly. As long as what I'm doing doesn't impact on anyone else, then I'm within my rights to boat however I want to. Ditto everyone else.

In fact, in hindsight on our most recent trip, I only came across one boat that was travelling significantly slower than I was.

Near Engineer's Wharf on the Paddington Arm, at about 6:30pm. I was aiming for Paddington Basin that night, the people in the widebeam ahead of me weren't. They were happily travelling at tickover, much less than my cruising speed. I slowed down behind them, past a section of moored boats, and then they waved me by once the canal was clear. My tickover was less than theirs, but I knew that I couldn't overtake there without annoying the moored boats and the people on the widebeam, so I trusted that once we came to the end of the moored boats, they would let me past. They did, everyone waved and smiled, and no-one was excessively inconvenienced.

Keith

Well said that man..

Keith

Yep, got it in one cheers.gif

Keith

Got my vote too, although very occasionally I 'tickover' along admiring the scenery. When I do this anyone appearing behind me is ushered by at the earliest possibility, whether or not a lock is looming.

Keith

Have a greenie that man.... :cheers:

My 2p worth

I like to go at my own chosen speed which is faster than some and slower than many. So if some one wants to pass then that's fine by me and I will pull over as soon as it is safe. If on the other hand I catch someone up it would be nice if they did the same for me, sadly that is rarely the case so I have found it better to pull over and have a cup of tea.

It's not worth getting upset about and its certainly not worth the argument that has been going on in this thread

Regards

TC

• Greenie 1

Guest Quo Vadis

Keith

Challenge, efficiency ... I respect your right and desire to do that, but wouldn't white-water rafting provide a better outlet.

I can't think of a less efficient way of getting about than on a canal. If I was in danger of missing a rendezvous whilst boating, I wouldn't speed up, I'd get off the boat and run ... be there in less than half the time, more if I cut off the bends :).

As a thoroughfare, it is utterly useless, slow, meandering, subject to sudden closures, silted and decrepit, all the things that give it charm as a leisure space.

The canal gets you into parts of our landscape that are a real privilege to visit, and unknown to the vast majority of the population. If you cannot take the time to appreciate every foot of it for what it is, we might as well have it dredged into straight cuts so that it is a genuinely efficient means of transport.

Ian

Challenge, efficiency ... I respect your right and desire to do that, but wouldn't white-water rafting provide a better outlet.

No.

It doesn't matter what your chosen pursuit is. You can either do it efficiently, or you can do it inefficiently.

Some people take pride in having passed through a flight of locks in an efficient manner. Others couldn't care less.

Take the example of going down a flight of locks;

I, efficiently, start the next lock down filling before we are through the lock above. This means that we can progress from lock to lock without ever stopping and pulling into the side with associated macrame.

Others do one lock at a time, then stop to set the next lock.

My way is faster, it is also more efficient in a broader sense, because it wastes less water.

Maybe some people cruise singlehanded or with a wife who is disabled,and are unable to go as fast and as efficiently as you.

Maybe some people are not in the same amount as a hurry as you.

Maybe some people because of lack of experience/fitness cannot operate the locks as quick as you.

Maybe people should be a little more understanding of others using the waterways.

14Skipper

Edited by 14skipper