Oxford Canal

dekker

Featured Posts

I was thinking of cruising from Napton next Manday down to Oxford and the Thames. Please can members give me some info regarding restrictions, queueing, and levels etc. Thanks in advance.

Hi

I moored on the Oxford on and off for several years it is NOT the best OR worst canal in any regard. It is quite pretty but several others are prettier. It suffers from low water but not too badly. There are no dreadfully busy spots even in stupid times like August.

Oxford is worth a look and the Thames is ok especialy if you go uphill towards Lechlade and away from London it is imeasurably better than the London direction. Have fun :)

I was thinking of cruising from Napton next Manday down to Oxford and the Thames. Please can members give me some info regarding restrictions, queueing, and levels etc. Thanks in advance.

There are currently restrictions on some locks on the Oxford, the southern end. Check with Waterscape for stoppages and the current lock opening hours.

K

The locks at each end of the top pound are open from 10:00 to 14:00. Since it takes more than 4 hours to travel between them you'll need to factor an extra day into your journey time in each direction. Last Saturday it was very quiet.

We left Calcutt marina near Napton on Friday, and are now moored just above Eynsham lock on the Thames.

Not too much of an issue with the queues for us, you just have to get your timing right to go up Napton one day and down Claydon the next day. Water levels good all the way, and the canal very quiet.

As we were going up stream on the Thames we went via Dukes Cut and missed out Oxford. What I have read, even down to Nicholsons, Oxford its self is very poor, perhaps it we have time we will go back that way so at least we can say we have seen it.

We left Calcutt marina near Napton on Friday, and are now moored just above Eynsham lock on the Thames.

Not too much of an issue with the queues for us, you just have to get your timing right to go up Napton one day and down Claydon the next day. Water levels good all the way, and the canal very quiet.

As we were going up stream on the Thames we went via Dukes Cut and missed out Oxford. What I have read, even down to Nicholsons, Oxford its self is very poor, perhaps it we have time we will go back that way so at least we can say we have seen it.

IMO Oxford is a great City to visit. We've been there several times by boat and find something new every time.

All the blogs I have read report it as being quite quiet. I think a lot of the hirers are going the other way

Witnessed my first ever queue of boats (7) at Calcutt a week or so ago, I think this is the case!

I am hoping to moor in Oxford for at least 7 days in the next week am I likely to be able to do so ,I also need to leave the boat are they all only 48hr moorings except for a 7 day one at frenchay Road. I am concerned that if that is the only one it is likely to be full also if I am that far into Oxford I cannot wind a 60ft boat ,also as my wife is semi disabled she is unable to walk far I cannot moor to far from a road .thanks for any information .Joe

HI Joe

Cannot remember about the moorings but I think they are all short term but the bit I can answer, if you go all the way to Oxford, you go down the last lock, onto the Thames (side stream), immediately 'wind' and return up the lock.

The last lock that is in Oxford is a canal lock just like the rest. Not manned and narrow (one boat) You wind immediately below the lock. Even instructions which way to wind. ie. point your bows this way.

The moorings at the Oxford City area are 48 hours only. You could ask at College cruisers if they have a space. they may have if all their boats are out. Just a thought.

Martyn

I note the assertion that there are prettier canals than the Oxford. I haven't yet found one - which are they? Our trip from Cropredy to Thrupp and back last week reinforced my view that the Oxford canal, or at least its southern half, slices through some of the most delightful parts of middle England. Admittedly the M40 does intrude a couple of times.

I note the assertion that there are prettier canals than the Oxford. I haven't yet found one - which are they? Our trip from Cropredy to Thrupp and back last week reinforced my view that the Oxford canal, or at least its southern half, slices through some of the most delightful parts of middle England. Admittedly the M40 does intrude a couple of times.

Ahh

Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, praps we should have a poll !! :D

I think the maccy, the shroppie and the staffs and worcst and stratford all nicer than the oxford, oh and the caldon.......

I would agree that it is very nice in the areas that you mention, very much like the South Stratford in my mind., but there are many others too that equal or better it, the Llangollen perhaps, all personal preference.

What I have read, even down to Nicholsons, Oxford its self is very poor, perhaps it we have time we will go back that way so at least we can say we have seen it.

What a way to dismiss a major university town! I enjoyed my time in Oxford this summer, both mooring and visiting by bus from Eynsham (every 15 minutes). The Ashmolean and Pitt-Rivers museums are both terrific. But having said that I found it a very inward-looking town, with lots of colleges behind high blank walls charging you money for a peek inside (which I didn't).

Mac

Not dismissing the town, although they did not offer my daughter a place, their loss, Durham is better anyway (for English at least).

I just get the feeling that they turn their back on the canal, but if you can tell me otherwise and that there are copious moorings and a pleasant run up out of the town then perhaps I will give it a go on the way back. In fact I think you are really saying what I think of the place, inward looking. is a very good way of describing it

• 2 weeks later...

I am hoping to moor in Oxford for at least 7 days in the next week am I likely to be able to do so ,I also need to leave the boat are they all only 48hr moorings except for a 7 day one at frenchay Road. I am concerned that if that is the only one it is likely to be full also if I am that far into Oxford I cannot wind a 60ft boat ,also as my wife is semi disabled she is unable to walk far I cannot moor to far from a road .thanks for any information .Joe

If you phone BW and explain they will probably say it is ok to moor longer.

Sue

Coming off the Thames on Sunday via Dukes Cut heading back to Braunston, we are in no hurry so was just wondering what the current situation is ie. is there a lot of boats moored up, quiet,lock restrictions etc.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Regards

Andy

We came back up the Oxford from Dukes Cut to Napton over last weekend. As I am sure you know, there are restrictions (already mentioned in this thread) at Claydon and Marston Doles (top 2 locks at Napton) which mean they are open 10-2 each day only. You really can't do both in one day, so you need to plan on coming up Claydon one day, and down Napton the next day. Virtually no boats moving and no queues worth speaking of.

We're coming down to 'Trojan' for a few days. We moor at Clattercote Wharf just above Elkington's Lock. For a change. we thought we might head northwards up the Claydon flight. May I assume that, after the recent heavy rain, the restrictions of a couple of weeks ago have now been lifted? Has anyone been that way in the last few days and experienced long queues?

We're coming down to 'Trojan' for a few days. We moor at Clattercote Wharf just above Elkington's Lock. For a change. we thought we might head northwards up the Claydon flight. May I assume that, after the recent heavy rain, the restrictions of a couple of weeks ago have now been lifted? Has anyone been that way in the last few days and experienced long queues?

I've been monitoring this as we're hoping to come back up the Oxford in a couple of weeks. The restrictions are still in place, with the Claydon and Napton flights open only between 10am and 2pm. If you've seen the photos of the reservoirs, you'll appreciate that it will take more than a couple of days of rain to fill them up again. I've heard that traffic is well down, and queues haven't been much of a problem recently.

May see you then. We hope to get to The Farm mid morning Sat. We are going to Fenny to top up and empty things accordingly. My brother is using the boat for a week soon.

Enjoy your few days.

Martyn

An update: we went up Claydon Locks on Saturday. We expected to see the helpful BW personnel who would assist the queue of boats to pass through the flight quickly and efficiently. But there was no queue, and no sign of any BW personnel. We moored at Fenny Compton, where we were passed at about 5p.m. by a hire boat whose steerer told us that the flight was not locked, he's started to go up it some time after the official closing time of 2p.m.

We came back down the flight the following day, again no sign of any BW bods. We were told that the flight was locked on the Sunday night and that a lone BW man has unlocked the first lock at about 9.40 a.m. So it looks as if either the restrictions have been relaxed, or the BW staff are busy doing something more important elsewhere.

Edited by Athy