Ooops!! again......

Roxy

Featured Posts

Bet Im not the only one, but was doing some repairs to my boat this afternoon with help of a neighbour....was turning boat around in moorings to get a better position to fix, and oops a daisy, my mobile fell out of my top pocket straight into canal....not alot I can do about it now, but my neighbour got his net out and tried to fish it back out,after 20 mins or so, we gave up.....we was both hungry so cooked dinner for us both, and had a gin and tonic or 3 :lol:

He's going to put his wetsuit on in the morning to see if he can find it, now thats what I call dedication and a very nice neighbour....he's also bilged my bottom out, (I couldnt work out why no water was coming out until he told me the bilge was upside down!!) told you I was thick :lol: but he said Ive seen much worse, mended little bits and also showed me how to tie knots...

Coincidentally the name of his boat is Ooops ! Cant thank him enough for what he's done for me today, maybe I should rename my boat 'Jinks' or 'Ooops a daisy' think Im doomed from the start the way its going :(

Bet Im not the only one, but was doing some repairs to my boat this afternoon with help of a neighbour....was turning boat around in moorings to get a better position to fix, and oops a daisy, my mobile fell out of my top pocket straight into canal....not alot I can do about it now, but my neighbour got his net out and tried to fish it back out,after 20 mins or so, we gave up.....we was both hungry so cooked dinner for us both, and had a gin and tonic or 3 :lol:

He's going to put his wetsuit on in the morning to see if he can find it, now thats what I call dedication and a very nice neighbour....he's also bilged my bottom out, (I couldnt work out why no water was coming out until he told me the bilge was upside down!!) told you I was thick :lol: but he said Ive seen much worse, mended little bits and also showed me how to tie knots...

Coincidentally the name of his boat is Ooops ! Cant thank him enough for what he's done for me today, maybe I should rename my boat 'Jinks' or 'Ooops a daisy' think Im doomed from the start the way its going :(

Hi Roxy

Hope you get your phone back. If so a tip I was given to revive the thing was remove batteries take cover off phone then rinse the phone in distilled water before you dry it out. They can take ages to dry out properly even in a warm room, can quicken this though with a hair drier. It might well work without rinsing without distilled water, but there are apparently salts in water that can cause further damage, so rinsing basically gets rid of these salts. Well that's what I was told to do when my phone went in a pint of beer as sugars can be problematic also laugh.gif

I once walked off the wrong side of the boat (my excuse is it was dark and I had forgotten we had winded the boat earlier). The phone was only underwater for a few seconds but it was knackered. However, your sim card might be OK and worth rescuing (especially if you have contact numbers stored on it). Good luck and happy fishing!

I think the phone will likely be dead or won't have long to live, even if it does work for a bit after recovering, rinsing in distilled water ideally, drying out thoroughly ( few days on a hot tank / radiator). With the battery connected it would have been fizzing slowly eating through the very tiny tracks on the boards, etc etc... Hopefully the SIM and Memory card should be ok to put in another phone - perhaps some insurance will cover it ?

Nick

Hey up Julynian, just wish mine had fell in a pint of beer wouldnt have to go through all this stress! would be easier to find and dry out I guess. My daughter has health problems, and she's staying at her daddies this weekend, which is why its important for me to keep contact with him, Ive tried to go orange website, (whom I have my contract with) to see if any messages/calls have been left but its a no winner....I dont know anyones contact details off by heart nor my daughters dads. So im going to look like a bad mummy if she needs me for what ever reason.

I know it was my fault in the first place, I was rushing trying to get my boat fixed, so only have myself to blame.

Times like this I wish I had emergency number/secondary phone...... :angry:

I think the phone will likely be dead or won't have long to live, even if it does work for a bit after recovering, rinsing in distilled water ideally, drying out thoroughly ( few days on a hot tank / radiator). With the battery connected it would have been fizzing slowly eating through the very tiny tracks on the boards, etc etc... Hopefully the SIM and Memory card should be ok to put in another phone - perhaps some insurance will cover it ?

Nick

I recall I think it was Smelly who soaked his phone some weeks ago, didn't work for a couple of days then suddenly did, be interesting to know if it's still working. My phone that went in the beer is still working today, it was quite sometime ado it went in the beer though.

I don't know if its an option, but sometimes the supermarkets have PAYG phones for as little as a tenner - I got a Nokia 1200 (1600 ? ) a while back, purely as an emergency phone, in case I lost mine, or someone else in the family did ....

Nick

if you can get into your account on the orange web site it will show the numbers you have phoned which may give you some clues. Orange insurance replaces phones rapidly, someone delivers them to your boat, or did last time I had a problem. My last orange phone was £4:50 plus £10 for call time. Good luck.

Sue

When I dropped mine down the loo someone suggested burying it (sans sims and cover) into a bowl of dried rice, which absorbs the moisture. It worked for me - my phone is back to full working order. But then, it was only in the water for about 2 seconds.

Thankyou all,

My phone was only a crappy one anyway, reason being it is always falling out my pocket at work, so I shouldve known better!!

It is insured, so guess they will replace it for another crappy one :lol: only thing is all the paperwork is at home.

Sueb, I logged into my orange account lastnight but couldn't see any numbers I had dialled, but then I was under the influence :lol: so going to have another look now.....

Thanks again

Rachel

I tend to keep my phone in my shirt top pocket and when bending over to pick something up, it sometimes fell out. Since I got a soft silicon rubber sleeve for it, it is much grippier onto fabric and rarely falls out now, and if it does, has a bit of cushioning to protect it..

Nick

....he's also bilged my bottom out, (I couldnt work out why no water was coming out until he told me the bilge was upside down!!) told you I was thick :lol: but he said Ive seen much worse, mended little bits and also showed me how to tie knots...

??????? I'm intrigued. What on earth is this operation? Did he keep a straight face when he told you he'd done that?

I've had a similar problem thru rain penetrating coat and thru dropping in cut, one worked the other didn't. If you send it back as faulty they can tell it's had water damage - there's a marker dye patch on the battery that must show in uv light or summat. check the edge of your battery for a small reddish patch, scrape it off, then if you do wet your phone, rinse and dry it and you may be able to send it back for return as faulty, they never seem to ask for the battery with the return.

I've had a similar problem thru rain penetrating coat and thru dropping in cut, one worked the other didn't. If you send it back as faulty they can tell it's had water damage - there's a marker dye patch on the battery that must show in uv light or summat. check the edge of your battery for a small reddish patch, scrape it off, then if you do wet your phone, rinse and dry it and you may be able to send it back for return as faulty, they never seem to ask for the battery with the return.

Surely they would put the marker dye on the board to see if the phone had suffered water damage ? Seems little point in putting it on the battery as they are frequently removed prior to return for repair.

Nick

When I fell in last year my phone took a couple of days to dry out enough to switch on again, but a couple of weeks before the keypad would work again.

I recently had to replace it as I cracked the screen whilst it was in my pocket, and decided (as that was the second screen I'd cracked in three months) that I'd look at 'tough' phones. Ended up buying a JCB TP121 Tradesman (£51 delivered on eBay). It's a pretty basic 2G phone, but what it does it does very well. Not only that, but it's waterproof (IP67 - 30 minutes at a depth of 1m) and it floats (not that I've tested this personally yet). For a boater's phone, I think I'd struggle to find a better option (at least not for less than several hundred quid).

when we did the renovation of baldwin's knob lock last winter, over the weekend one of the lads knocked a brand new drill in, it was in the lock for 2 weeks, we recovered it, took it to pieces, washed it in water and then kept it in the airing cupboard for a week, reassembled and it has worked perfectly ever since! so definately work doing if you do retrieve the phone. B)

Edited by hamsterfan

When I fell in last year my phone took a couple of days to dry out enough to switch on again, but a couple of weeks before the keypad would work again.

I recently had to replace it as I cracked the screen whilst it was in my pocket, and decided (as that was the second screen I'd cracked in three months) that I'd look at 'tough' phones. Ended up buying a JCB TP121 Tradesman (£51 delivered on eBay). It's a pretty basic 2G phone, but what it does it does very well. Not only that, but it's waterproof (IP67 - 30 minutes at a depth of 1m) and it floats (not that I've tested this personally yet). For a boater's phone, I think I'd struggle to find a better option (at least not for less than several hundred quid).

Good tip, cheers.gif

Guest Quo Vadis

I keep my old O2 pay as you go phone on the boat with a 12v charger. It's just got a few basic numbers in it, like marinas, BW etc etc. You have to send a text once a month to stop them cutting you off though.

It has been useful several times for one reason or another

... he told me the bilge was upside down!!)

Me suspects that the bilge pump was upside down :)

Unless your roof was on the marina bottom of course.

Tony

... rinse the phone in distilled water before you dry it out. They can take ages to dry out properly even in a warm room, can quicken this though with a hair drier.

Distilled water good, hair dryer bad.

Definitely rinse it (assuming you find it of course). Dismantle it as far as is easy to do. For instance, this is virtually impossible on an iPhone and very easy on an early Nokia. Certainly remove the battery, that's essential.

An airing cupboard or somewhere similarly warm is good. It will take several days to dry. In a house I'd recommend putting it a foot or two below an anglepoise lamp for gentle heat. A hairdryer has the potential to overheat the phone, plus it won't get right inside the various layers of components, so you'll think it's dry before it is.

In tests run by The Gadget Show the rice idea did nothing in a 24 hour period; by far the most effective was the advice I've repeated above.

Tony

If the phone is likely to be knackered is it worth just fishing it out with a magnet? Or would that kill the SIM?

Anything's possible.

When I lost my "big bunch" of keys (not the boat keys which had floats attached, oh no, the huge bunch with works keys, safe keys, you-name-it-keys) a mate eventually got them out by dredging the bottom with his big square landing net. It took several goes with me running my hands through the gooey slimy, smelly mud that he raised, but we did retrieve several small sockets (8mm and 10mm if I recall correctly) a split overshoe, several mussels, and finally, my keys.

Tony

When we dried the keys out, unsurprisingly the remote door lock key no longer worked. More surprisingly, two days later it started working again. Over a year later it still works.