Idiot boaters?

debbifiggy

Featured Posts

I have to say I am extremely disappointed in whoever cut the chains last night (again) which were closing the Paddington Arm either side of the burnt and unstable bridge for safety reasons. The scaffolders haven't finished and there are scaffold poles everywhere causing a real hazard to anyone trying to get underneath.

The canal is closed for your safety and we are trying to get it reopen as fast as possible. Because of last night we've now got to check every part of the structure again before carrying on to check it has not been damaged. This is going to delay reopening because of the selfish and stupid action of two boats.

There are various Bye-law offences and licence terms & conditions breaches in the actions of these boaters but it is the safety aspect that concerns me most. Can you imagine what might have happened if in the dark a key bit of scaffold got knocked or the boat got stuck going under? I can promise you that they would not have been insured as their actions will have voided their policy.

Why can't people wait and follow sensible instructions for their own safety? :banghead:

D

Some people are like that. For them, rules and instructions must be ignored or counter-acted, it makes them feel big and clever. There is a technical discription for them, but that would only get me another PM from the mods....

Not just big and clever - they often ignore the rules because the rules run contrary to their petty, selfish intentions.

There is also the attitude, which people even fall back on as a defence, that if they didn't get caught in the act or they didn't get hurt while doing it, then they did nothing wrong.

It's just a shame that BW doesn't have the resources to enforce the rules that are designed to keep the system flowing for everyone - and remove from the water the selfish few who think they can do as they damn well please, rules and consequences be damned.

I have to say I am extremely disappointed in whoever cut the chains last night (again) which were closing the Paddington Arm either side of the burnt and unstable bridge for safety reasons. The scaffolders haven't finished and there are scaffold poles everywhere causing a real hazard to anyone trying to get underneath.

The canal is closed for your safety and we are trying to get it reopen as fast as possible. Because of last night we've now got to check every part of the structure again before carrying on to check it has not been damaged. This is going to delay reopening because of the selfish and stupid action of two boats.

There are various Bye-law offences and licence terms & conditions breaches in the actions of these boaters but it is the safety aspect that concerns me most. Can you imagine what might have happened if in the dark a key bit of scaffold got knocked or the boat got stuck going under? I can promise you that they would not have been insured as their actions will have voided their policy.

Why can't people wait and follow sensible instructions for their own safety? :banghead:

D

Can the offending boats be identified?

Will BW actually prosecute for the Bye-law offences?

Can the offending boats be identified?

Will BW actually prosecute for the Bye-law offences?

We've got an idea which boats are responsible but without witnesses I have no proof. Without proof/evidence that will stand up in court, no prosecution. So, if anyone can provide the missing link I will happily put the wheels in motion. The engineers and waterway manager have gone absolutely a&3$h*^ about it this morning.

D

We've got an idea which boats are responsible but without witnesses I have no proof. Without proof/evidence that will stand up in court, no prosecution. So, if anyone can provide the missing link I will happily put the wheels in motion. The engineers and waterway manager have gone absolutely a&3$h*^ about it this morning.

D

Might I humbly suggest that you shouldn't show your hand to these idiots, and you should simply send in enforcement officers to speak to them about their actions, and the basis that you believe they ARE responsible.

If they actually deny it, then as you say you are on a hiding to nothing, but people stupid enough to do this are probably stupid enough to attempt to justify their actions to the Enforcement officer (and in doing so admit to the offences).

Its health and safety gone mad in this nanny state!

How is it health and safety gone mad?

The canal was closed because a bridge is in a precarious state. Not a theoretical risk of a problem, but actually dangerous.

Two boaters have caused criminal damage (cutting chains) to access the canal.

Let's have them in front of the beak.

Its health and safety gone mad in this nanny state!

How is it health and safety gone mad?

<snip>

I really must get onto the moderators about that missing tongue-in-cheek smiley

Richard

Well one of the two boats is responsible, I think they should both be interviewed, and licences etc checked at the same time. Your engineers have every right to be angry, as I'm sure you don't chain off sections of waterway without very good cause. Part of me wishes the bridge collapsed on one of them, at least you could then say 'we told you so'. How was the chain cut?, hacksaw, bolt croppers, or angle grinder?. Not too many boats carry that sort of stuff. Can you get a warrant to carry out a search?

I personally also wonder whether you have to renew a licence, if you see what I mean.

Some people are like that. For them, rules and instructions must be ignored or counter-acted, it makes them feel big and clever. There is a technical discription for them, but that would only get me another PM from the mods....

My technical description would be narcissistic... is that acceptable?

Might I humbly suggest that you shouldn't show your hand to these idiots, and you should simply send in enforcement officers to speak to them about their actions, and the basis that you believe they ARE responsible.

If they actually deny it, then as you say you are on a hiding to nothing, but people stupid enough to do this are probably stupid enough to attempt to justify their actions to the Enforcement officer (and in doing so admit to the offences).

Another thing it would do is let them know they are not as anonymous as they think they are.

Might make them think in future, although I doubt it

When we came over the Ribble Link last week going to Tarleton. The boat infront of us cut straight infront of the Astland Lamp where he should have gone round it!. He should have known better as it was his third crossing.

Why are people so stupid

When we came over the Ribble Link last week going to Tarleton. The boat infront of us cut straight infront of the Astland Lamp where he should have gone round it!. He should have known better as it was his third crossing.

Why are people so stupid

never having been up that way or seen the Asland Lamp, I assume its a Cardinal Bouy or marker which shows which side of the marker is the clear passage. If that is the case the it usually marks shallows or reefs at a certain point of the tide.

Local knowledge would come into play if a boat crossed the wrong side of the Lamp knowing that there was sufficient water to cut across the shoal and negate their going the long way round.

I have done this many times on the Medway at the junction with the Swale at Queenborough Spit. You just need to know the state of the tide, your draft and the depth at that particular time. Its not reckless and not careless, Its called pilotage.

http://www.visitmyharbour.com/viewchart.asp?chart=B013CA19300922401

Actually so do I and Oxy Acetylene.... But I'm way up norf. But how many of us do carry that sort of stuff as a matter of course?

You mean there is actually another way of getting money out from the bank?

Cheers Don

Why are people so stupid

In his defence as it was his third crossing he would have known that it is no problem in a flat bottomed narrowboat.

never having been up that way or seen the Asland Lamp, I assume its a Cardinal Bouy or marker which shows which side of the marker is the clear passage. If that is the case the it usually marks shallows or reefs at a certain point of the tide.

P10656.jpg