Mooring out from the bank

jonk

Featured Posts

I grew up at a watermill there were loads of 56Lb weights everywhere

56 lbs is half a Hundredweight (112 lbs)

Bags of coal were sold in Hundredweight

if I remember there were 20 bags in a Ton

My dad was a Coal man I remember shovelling coal when I was a kid on my summer holidays

BobB

56lb is also...

2 Tods

4 Stones

8 Cloves

896 Oz

and 14,336 Drams (Avoirdupois, not Troy)

Tony

Edited by WotEver

This is what we do, folding variable length plank is pinned on the bank and on the boat, bargepole drilled through at both ends allows it to be lashed to the front T stud and a mooring pin ashore, two centre lines fore and aft minimise any movement in those directions,

Works a treat.

005AllCannings.jpg

Where did you get the plank from?

Where did you get the plank from?

Knocked it up myself from one of those 4 section folding ladders, cut one section off and screw three tread plates on top, drill a hole through the ladder base plate to pin to boat, best if you have a cruiser deck as you can fix a skin fitting into the side deck. Get a (stainless) pin turned up at an engineers to slide through plank and skin fitting, I have cross drilled the bottom of this pin for a spring pin to prevent plank see-sawing off the boat, then a hole through the tread plate on the other end for mooring pin to go through. Some sort of hook at the bank end for a line to hook onto for drawbridge style lowering is handy.

Also I have fixed a piece of polypropylene to the side deck to prevent metal to metal grinding.

A

Knocked it up myself from one of those 4 section folding ladders, cut one section off and screw three tread plates on top, drill a hole through the ladder base plate to pin to boat, best if you have a cruiser deck as you can fix a skin fitting into the side deck. Get a (stainless) pin turned up at an engineers to slide through plank and skin fitting, I have cross drilled the bottom of this pin for a spring pin to prevent plank see-sawing off the boat, then a hole through the tread plate on the other end for mooring pin to go through. Some sort of hook at the bank end for a line to hook onto for drawbridge style lowering is handy.

Also I have fixed a piece of polypropylene to the side deck to prevent metal to metal grinding.

A

Very Good!

I was just looking at those ladders thinking along same lines.

Sounds like you went to town on yours.

• 1 month later...

This really annoys me. Moored boats taking up valuable width on narrow channels is one thing, but then grabbing an extra couple of feet with floating wheels on the outside is quite another. Please don't.

MP.

Quiite so... Why would you need to keep a passing boat two feet away?

Loved the folding gangplank got folding steps on offer at maplins (yes the electrical people ! )

On offer at £49.99 used code MVc3 got it delivered for £46.49 ordered at 5pm was here next day at 12.00pm.

There are two platforms with it cut off one section of ladder and got a bit of tread plate from a caravan step builder for £10.

See one of the big brokerage dealers are selling these looks like they are just cutting ladder in half and getting two to sell for the price of one.

14Skipper

This really annoys me. Moored boats taking up valuable width on narrow channels is one thing, but then grabbing an extra couple of feet with floating wheels on the outside is quite another. Please don't.

MP.

Only just picked this up. Can't speak for everybody, but I have sufficient common sense to deploy the wheels in a way such that they would not affect navigation. I understand your concern though if others lack basic common sense.

Hmmm, what's so special about 56lbs? Is it just a convenient weight that can be bought and managed? Does sound like a good idea.

John

As an ex Weights & Measures person, the special thing about 56 lb weights is that it is half of 112lb ( a hundredweight) abd it is about the max weight you can easily carry in each arm/hand. When testing large scales I could just about carry 1 x 56 lb weights. Not now though !!

If we do this we usually use small 10" wheels, handy when wind is blowing passing boats towards you as it also helps the steerer pass you by acting as a couple of buffers to pivot their hull against. No banging or scraping and everyone benefits.

whats up with going to your local karting track and getting 2 old tyres for free

Hmmm, what's so special about 56lbs? Is it just a convenient weight that can be bought and managed? Does sound like a good idea.

John

It's half a hundredweight, four stone, one fortieth of a ton. Imperial British measures, not this silly continental rubbish that doesn't exercise the brain.

Old habits die hard in some industries.

ETA, Jelunga beat me to it.

Edited by sebrof

I once dug four huge holes in the mud at Leigh-on-sea whilst the tide was out and buried an old car engine in each with chain attached to make a four point mooring for the old ships lifeboat that i was converting,all done between regular visits to the station buffet for cups of tea. bizzard.