Mooring out from the bank

jonk

Featured Posts

Sometimes (usually but not always on a river) I have to moor with the boat out from the bank. This sometimes results in quite a lot of boat movement and often grinding of the bottom of the boat on the bed of the river/canal/concrete/rock. Does anyone have a good method for securing the boat say 1m from the bank? I have thought that a couple of 2m poles secured on boat and shore at 90 degrees plus two ropes at 45 degrees fore and aft might do it? I don't want to put tyres down the sides but a couple of poles with holes for pins and/or rope would be easy to store and use and could be multi-purpose. Is this a sensible idea? How do YOU do it?

John

I was given a "tip" some time ago that a couple of weights (56lb coal bag type) could be used on the non bank side as anchors if you were in a yobbo area and a bit worried about having your ropes cut. Would this work?

I have seen permanent moorings on rivers like this to cope with large changes in level. Usually two poles or an A-frame at one end and a single pole at the other, and no ropes needed. Sometimes with car towballs fitted to boat and bank and a towhitch on each ends of the poles to provide a robust connection allowing rotation but easily removed.

David

This is what we do, folding variable length plank is pinned on the bank and on the boat, bargepole drilled through at both ends allows it to be lashed to the front T stud and a mooring pin ashore, two centre lines fore and aft minimise any movement in those directions,

Works a treat.

005AllCannings.jpg

Don't know if this would work on a river mooring, but on similar canal banks, we have two car wheels complete with inflted tyres. These are floated on their side with rope attached to them. They keep the boat away,double as fenders and allow a little movement. Might have a pic somewhere.

This is what we do, folding variable length plank is pinned on the bank and on the boat, bargepole drilled through at both ends allows it to be lashed to the front T stud and a mooring pin ashore, two centre lines fore and aft minimise any movement in those directions,

Works a treat.

005AllCannings.jpg

That's neat! What do you do at the other end to keep that out, or do you have two planks?

John

If you're talking about temporary moorings overnight or for a few days, then dropping some mudweights from the offside of the boat is probably the easiest method of keeping the boat out.

I have seen references to 'mud weights' before - are these just sacks of something heavy?

John

Don't know if this would work on a river mooring, but on similar canal banks, we have two car wheels complete with inflted tyres. These are floated on their side with rope attached to them. They keep the boat away,double as fenders and allow a little movement. Might have a pic somewhere.

Why would you need to keep your boat out from a canal bank?

I suppose some places are silted up...

Edited by blackrose

Thanks but probably won't work on many river banks. Where do you store them when not in use?

John

Thanks everyone so far - useful ideas!

:cheers:

John

Yes - I have found several places where I cannot get the boat within a few feet of a canal bank.

John

So they are just any old weight chucked overboard on a rope?

John

1 metre away, must be big car wheels.....

we have same idea, similar to car wheels on a rope but not a metre wide...tend to tie up the stern close to bank so dog can get off and throw 56 lb weight over the side on bow tied to the rope works well..sometimes using 1 wheel near bow to stop rubbing on the side.

Hmmm, what's so special about 56lbs? Is it just a convenient weight that can be bought and managed? Does sound like a good idea.

John

They are a convenient weight, and usually have a cross bar which is handy for putting a rope around. Otherwise, they're just a bit of heavy on a rope

Richard

They are a convenient weight, and usually have a cross bar which is handy for putting a rope around. Otherwise, they're just a bit of heavy on a rope

Richard

OK, thanks. Think that I will get a couple - they sound useful.

John

Thanks but probably won't work on many river banks. Where do you store them when not in use?

John

We store two car wheels on the roof, very effective when moored, tends to cushion any movement from passing boats, as you say not too good on rivers because if the bank edge is sloping then wheels tend to ride up it, they work well on vertical edges as found on canals.

OK, thanks. Think that I will get a couple - they sound useful.

John

I'm still experimenting with using one while reversing. The first time I used it, when I pulled it up, I'd caught a mooring hook! What a bargain

Richard

Quite a few embankments on the Leeds & Liverpool canal go in at a very gradual angle and make it hard getting right into the bank. Then the wear plate hangs upon the stonework and the boat tilts. The wheel idea was nicked off another boater at one such mooring, and really does work. There is a similar problem on some Shroppie moorings where a ledge is in place below the water; I think Brewood might be one such place IIRC. Same trick there.

Bit of a pain carrying car wheels, but I put them in the roof box.

They are good if you are in a narrow waterway too,and other boats keep touching your boat. Hang 'em on the outside of the boat (the wheels not the steerers) and they work as a fender that will keep another boat about a couple of feet from yours. They can tilt sideways, but have absorbed a lot of the impact by then.

John

Thanks everyone so far - useful ideas!

:cheers:

John

I keep them in the roofbox.

They are good if you are in a narrow waterway too,and other boats keep touching your boat. Hang 'em on the outside of the boat (the wheels not the steerers) and they work as a fender that will keep another boat about a couple of feet from yours. They can tilt sideways, but have absorbed a lot of the impact by then.

This really annoys me. Moored boats taking up valuable width on narrow channels is one thing, but then grabbing an extra couple of feet with floating wheels on the outside is quite another. Please don't.

MP.

This really annoys me. Moored boats taking up valuable width on narrow channels is one thing, but then grabbing an extra couple of feet with floating wheels on the outside is quite another. Please don't.

MP.

If we do this we usually use small 10" wheels, handy when wind is blowing passing boats towards you as it also helps the steerer pass you by acting as a couple of buffers to pivot their hull against. No banging or scraping and everyone benefits.

Hmmm, what's so special about 56lbs? Is it just a convenient weight that can be bought and managed? Does sound like a good idea.

John

I grew up at a watermill there were loads of 56Lb weights everywhere

56 lbs is half a Hundredweight (112 lbs)

Bags of coal were sold in Hundredweight

if I remember there were 20 bags in a Ton

My dad was a Coal man I remember shovelling coal when I was a kid on my summer holidays

BobB

Edited by Bob Blues

MP.

There are several about like that, One that comes to mind is in Thrupp just through the bridge