So P****d off!!!!!

Roxy

Featured Posts

Went to my boat yesterday afternoon, and look.....!!!!!!!!

Image0074.jpg

Image0076.jpg

When I left my boat in my moorings 2 weeks a go it was in perfect condition...went yesterday and this is what I saw, I confronted the marina owner (Complete and utter tosser!!) and he said to claim off my boat insurance, now I may be new to boating, but, my boat hasn't moved since I left it and it looks to me like the money grabbing marina owner has tried to squeeze in another boat along side of me and decided otherwise....coz it wouldnt fit!!!!

Not happy, totally peeded off, I AM NOT CLAIMING OFF MY INSURANCE as it was nothing to do with me, heard quite a few horror stories today and lots of people moving there boats elsewhere to other marina's to moor.

My neighbour said he would deny all knowledge, which he did, he couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery to be quite honest, told him nb also mooring up and 'stealing our electric' and his reply was ''Im sorry but we cant monitor all boats that come into the marina!!!!!'' I, well I cant repeat what I said but in other words I said its your marina surely you should know what boats are coming in and out!????????? I am absolutely fuming, my boat may not be the pretiest but its MY boat and my pride and joy....

Went to my boat yesterday afternoon, and look.....!!!!!!!!

Image0074.jpg

Image0076.jpg

When I left my boat in my moorings 2 weeks a go it was in perfect condition...went yesterday and this is what I saw, I confronted the marina owner (Complete and utter tosser!!) and he said to claim off my boat insurance, now I may be new to boating, but, my boat hasn't moved since I left it and it looks to me like the money grabbing marina owner has tried to squeeze in another boat along side of me and decided otherwise....coz it wouldnt fit!!!!

Not happy, totally peeded off, I AM NOT CLAIMING OFF MY INSURANCE as it was nothing to do with me, heard quite a few horror stories today and lots of people moving there boats elsewhere to other marina's to moor.

My neighbour said he would deny all knowledge, which he did, he couldnt organise a piss up in a brewery to be quite honest, told him nb also mooring up and 'stealing our electric' and his reply was ''Im sorry but we cant monitor all boats that come into the marina!!!!!'' I, well I cant repeat what I said but in other words I said its your marina surely you should know what boats are coming in and out!????????? I am absolutely fuming, my boat may not be the pretiest but its MY boat and my pride and joy....

Image0075.jpg

Really bad luck - but from the pics. it doesn't look too bad though it will need some one to look at it.

But in the absence of being able to prove responsibility of the marina you will have to sort it yourself.

Get a quote it might not be too expensive, if it is then it's an insurance job.

Nice boat BTW - what is it?

What bad luck,I know its easy to say when its not my boat but it looks fairly superficial.

Trying to look at the bright side it could have been a lot worse. Working on the laws of probability your Mr Marina will be careful to make sure it doesnt happen to you again as lightening shouldnt strike twice in the same place. Best repair it quickly as it will wink its eye at you every time you look at it and that will only wind you up further

Thankyou MJG - She's a Buckingham 25ft although some may claim she's a 27footer!????

What bad luck,I know its easy to say when its not my boat but it looks fairly superficial.

Trying to look at the bright side it could have been a lot worse. Working on the laws of probability your Mr Marina will be careful to make sure it doesnt happen to you again as lightening shouldnt strike twice in the same place. Best repair it quickly as it will wink its eye at you every time you look at it and that will only wind you up further

But what are the laws when your boat gets damaged whilst in moorings??

But yes your right must get it fixed otherwise I will pour the entire contents of my toilet over his head when and if I see him......thats how angry I am...and I doubt very much he will make sure it will happen again as all he has is pound signs in his eyelids!!!!

Thankyou MJG - She's a Buckingham 25ft although some may claim she's a 27footer!????

But yes your right must get it fixed otherwise I will pour the entire contents of my toilet over his head when and if I see him......thats how angry I am...and I doubt very much he will make sure it will happen again as all he has is pound signs in his eyelids!!!!

Again I have every sympathy and its difficult to convey in written text but your priority must be to restore normality as its a pretty hopeless situation if no one witnessed whatever happened and you will tear yourself to bits going over it time and time again.

No laws as such - but it will be set out in your mooring agreement.

In a marina the owner or the company will have to accept responsibility or you will have to prove it was down to them or another boater - the former sounds very unlikely from what you have said and the latter would need a witness at least, or CCTV evidence, an unlikely prospect I would have thought. :(

No laws as such - but it will be set out in your mooring agreement.

In a marina the owner or the company will have to accept responsibility or you will have to prove it was down to them or another boater - the former sounds very unlikely from what you have said and the latter would need a witness at least, or CCTV evidence, an unlikely prospect I would have thought. :(

Shit sounds like I gotta claim off my insurance then! bad when it was nothing to do with me!

I was talking to some owners earlier who used the same marina im moored up at to have there wide beam craned out, they said

''This is the worst marina we have ever been at, the only reason we are here is cos there the only marina to have a big enough 'crane' to haul us out the water, the toilets are disgusting (which I totally agree) and the owner turned water off because someone was washing there boat down, today she said now the water has been turned back on shes done 2 loads of washing and was going to to shove it all in her tumble dryer to make the most of it''

Oh by the way, the guy who owns the boat that damaged yours is about somewhere, as the marina owner put his boat back in the water a week early and tried to moor it over there next to yours....despute still going on regarding this as I speak..!!! I told her if she saw this guy to send him over to me today, but he never came :(

Again I have every sympathy and its difficult to convey in written text but your priority must be to restore normality as its a pretty hopeless situation if no one witnessed whatever happened and you will tear yourself to bits going over it time and time again.

I know thankyou, may seem minor to some but I have limited money and I dont want to go spending what little I left in the 'pot' on damage to my boat when I have nothing to do with it....

I'd be curious to know which marina you are at.................

Ally Id be quite happy to tell you........

REDHILL MARINA LTD

You may see the owner on his horse out and about or on a hunt or two, or maybe in his porsche....

I suspect an insurance claim could cost you more in the long run, than simply fixing it, or getting it fixed ?

There will probably be an excess, that means you will have to cough up some of it anyway ?

And you'll lose some no claims discount, (if entitled), or at the very least have to declare a claim if trying to find alternate insurance in the future. If you have claimed on a previous insurance, a quote with a new insurer will probably be higher, (they are not interested in "blame", only that your ensurer had to pay out....)

To my untrained eye, it just needs a replacement length of metal strake in the right size, and some screws to fix it with. (Put these in a slightly moved location, if the old ones got ripped out and have left damage that means a new screw will not grip at that point).

Annoying, of course, but probably the best thing is to forget trying to claim from anyone, (all "in my opinion").

The strake appears to have caught on to whatever boat it was that collided with yours. It may possibly have been dragged along the hull of the other boat causing scrape marks.

Check the end of the strake for any paint sample from the other boat and note the height above water.

May not work but could give you a clue as to the boat responsible and then take it from there.

The offending boater may not realise/be aware that you might try this and hasn't rubbed it down or tried to cover over the scrape.

Just a thought from someone with the same Tee shirt.

Good luck

John Hinch.

Sorry that you have been damaged but as others have said it appears very superficial and in my view the aluminium strip should turn across the stern rather than tuck in behind the end of the wooden strake but if thats how it was built so be it.

If this was mine I would wait for a period of dry, warm weather so the wood and screw holes are dry and then remove the next two screws that are in still fixing the band in place and the spend a while trying to force car body filler or even epoxy filler mixed with the minimum of hardener into the holes to fill them up. The screws have probably been pulled out of the wood, rearing the holes oversize. The minimum filler (you must use some) gives you the longer working time.

Then get a thick piece of timber to act as a backing piece/anvil behind the major kinks and use a mallet or plastic hammer to gently knock them back into shape. Using a hammer is OK but it will probably damage the surface a bit. This process may well cause the band to lengthen slightly but that is OK. Do NOT remove the kink right at the end. This should tuck in around the end of the wood. I think you will be able to bend any longer bows back into shape with your hands. I would also be tempted to put a very shallow "reverse" bow between the screw holes so the band touches the wood between the screw holes and the screws then pull the band down onto the boat by no more that half an inch.

It should be easy to replace the two screws you took out. The get someone to hold the band in place and drill th wood with a small drill right in the centre of the next hole along the band. Replace the screw and if using brass ones dip into some grease first. Repeat until you have attached the band.

I think it would be quicker to do than it was to write these instructions.

Years ago our Holt Abbot cruiser was dropped from the boat lift at this marina. We were not present and were told about the incident by another boat owner. The marina owner denied any knowledge and became quite abusive. Don't go there. Regards, HughC.

Edited by hughc

Shit sounds like I gotta claim off my insurance then! bad when it was nothing to do with me!

I still think it looks superficial and probably not worthy of a claim though.

snip to save repeated post quoting

I think it would be quicker to do than it was to write these instructions.

I agree with Tony's suggestion, except that:-

1. I think car type filler will not successfully drill/hold screws - definitely use an epoxy/stainless self tappers, though

2. most of this should bend without the use of a hammer (but wear work gloves to handle the ally for best grip) provided the 'anvil' is placed/aligned correctly under the kinks.

3. Work as low as possible, off the bank/staging/towpath, not from the cockpit,

and yes, preparation will take longer than the job itself and most definitely not worth the trouble of an insurance claim.

Just my two penn'orth, others may differ! B)

Roxy

The Damage is not too bad to be honest - Annoying yes , but in my experience you probably won't get too much help from the marina (Well that one.....) Its a fairly easy repair although it may look a little 'ripply' afterwards - It maybe didnt take a lot to pull the first bit of the strake off but massive inconsideration to rip that amount off.

Not sure - But I think yr boat was the one I helped pull the Dog out of the River at Kegworth a few weeks ago & then your mate out a week later at Ratcliffe !

If so I've dried out hope your friend has....

Roxy,

I have a sneaky feeling that the insurance excess will exceed the costs of the repair bill. Plus of course it will bump your premium for making a claim, As others have said it should be easy enough to repair, maybe a couple of hours labour to straighten and refit.

On another topic, don't caravanners have a book saying which grounds to avoid?, sounds like there ought to be one covering marinas too. There is even one about hotels were guests post their comments for other potential users.. I wonder now We should set one up, and you should be the first poster !!!

Roxy

The Damage is not too bad to be honest - Annoying yes , but in my experience you probably won't get too much help from the marina (Well that one.....) Its a fairly easy repair although it may look a little 'ripply' afterwards - It maybe didnt take a lot to pull the first bit of the strake off but massive inconsideration to rip that amount off.

Not sure - But I think yr boat was the one I helped pull the Dog out of the River at Kegworth a few weeks ago & then your mate out a week later at Ratcliffe !

If so I've dried out hope your friend has....

Yes that is I!!!! Nice to see you on the forum as well as in person, although not under the best circumstances hahaha!

Thanks to all though for your helpful advice, Im going to try and repair it myself although the metal strake is quite hard to bend so may need a strapping lad to help me. I will print off the first page and take it with me this weekend so I can go through it step by step. Will post a pic as soon as its repaired

Thanks again to all

Rachel

Rachel, if you are feeling keen, see if you can get some more of that rubbing strip and make a couple of L shaped angles to go around the corners. That will prevent the vulnerable end getting ripped off again

Richard