So.. What do you do? What would you do?

Proper Job

Featured Posts

I think that's the case at my moorings. I'm pretty there's something about 'supplimentary signage etc' in the mooring agreement.

As far as an 'identified space' is concerned. There are only two boats on the 'Thrupp main road' site. We have a local agreement ;)

Hey Dood

Its about time you had a local agreement with the pratt attempting to run the two Thrupp pubs re opening or more importantly closing times..... <_<

Cool!

So how would one apply for a 'winter mooring' given that BW no longer answers the phone or responds to emails?

Just moor up and wait for BW to contact me perhaps? Somehow I doubt it ;)

Mike

That is a good question. You now have to book them on line when they are posted, should be during August. The problem last year was that you could only book them for the complete 5 months on line, and if you wanted them for a shorter period it was back to the old fashioned phone method then to be told you could not book them for shorter than 5 months until November when they knew what might still be available. My matte phone BW to take a Winter Mooring for 1 month in Cropredy earlier this year and was told by BW no winter moorings were available. He told them he was on a 14 day mooring with plenty of space left for other boats, BW told him it would be ok to stop for the month without charge!!!!

Hey Dood

Its about time you had a local agreement with the pratt attempting to run the two Thrupp pubs re opening or more importantly closing times..... <_<

:lol:

Softly softy, catchy monkey ;)

That is a good question. You now have to book them on line when they are posted, should be during August. The problem last year was that you could only book them for the complete 5 months on line, and if you wanted them for a shorter period it was back to the old fashioned phone method then to be told you could not book them for shorter than 5 months until November when they knew what might still be available. My matte phone BW to take a Winter Mooring for 1 month in Cropredy earlier this year and was told by BW no winter moorings were available. He told them he was on a 14 day mooring with plenty of space left for other boats, BW told him it would be ok to stop for the month without charge!!!!

The Winter moorings at Thrupp are administered by Thrupp Canal Mooring Cruising Club. You apply to the club (press 'mooring' on link - link).

I don't know if any others are managed the same way?

Edited by Proper Job

The Winter moorings at Thrupp are administered by Thrupp Canal Mooring Cruising Club. You apply to the club (press 'mooring' on link - link).

I don't know if any others are managed the same way?

Just checked waterscape and winter moorings not released yet but you can register now for winter mooring.

We have a different problem up here, at winter BW mark off huge areas of nice visitor moorings for winter moorings, but not one boat takes up the moorings so when you chug past and see the sign saying permit holders only it's annoying as the whole length is empty..

Casp'

I wonder ....

The signs I have seen don't imply that a casual boater cannot moor at these places for 14 days (or whatever is the local rule) - only that if you wish to have a winter mooring at that place you have to pay.

And I have no problem with the boats that have paid having priority - as long as they have documentary evidence!

ETA - the monthly winter mooring fee is expensive when you consider that you can stay for 2 of those weeks for free.

Edited by Robin2

And I have no problem with the boats that have paid having priority - as long as they have documentary evidence!

You jest i hope. BW are very hit and miss about delivering Winter Mooring thingy. Just out of interest who do they need this paperwork for? BW know if you have paid for winter moorings so that should be enough or do you want a winter mooring snitch line?

I shall make my own up. "Ocelot Only - Perpetrators Will Be Cast Adrift and Exoceted"

that's one way of dealing with it LOL B)

Tie the boat up to trees in some completely inaccessible spot on the offside?

David

that's just cruel (muttley sniggering emotion) B)

You jest i hope. BW are very hit and miss about delivering Winter Mooring thingy. Just out of interest who do they need this paperwork for? BW know if you have paid for winter moorings so that should be enough or do you want a winter mooring snitch line?

I have heard a rumour that BW are working on a reporting system for overstaying

Regarding the original post I would have felt as you do and done the same thing, retied and felt like casting it adrift but not actually doing it :)

I once had to do the same thing when I returned to our mooring at Napton and that was none towing path side. It was a hire boat and we tied it on the outside.

Just checked waterscape and winter moorings not released yet but you can register now for winter mooring.

Don't hold your breath I am still waiting for a reply to my query re Droitwich moorings. I said I wouldn't join the auction till I got a reply. I wonder how many moorings don't get let because they can't be bothered to reply?

Sue

Steve; do you pay Council Tax?

Is there somewhere else within the identified mooring zone you could've moored instead?

The BW Ts & Cs confirm no exclusive use of one pontoon/bit of towpath just a right to use a part of it. That's important. What gives you an individual right to those particular 60ft?

Sorry... this might get heated but it's a particular bugbear of mine atm!

troll.jpg

"In addition, I am aware that we are working on a scheme to enable boaters to register overstaying boats direct from their mobile phone"

Quote from a letter written by Steve Pullinger of BW, sent on 21st July 2011.

"In addition, I am aware that we are working on a scheme to enable boaters to register overstaying boats direct from their mobile phone"

QUOTE "Dear BW, I am presently overstaying at XXX, Yours sincerely MMMM (Licence Number NNNN)" UNQUOTE

Wow watch out anyone who upsets me in anyway.

This seems a bit pointless as surely you can not overstay until someone from BW has actually seen the boat overstaying. ie on a 14 day mooring the ticket has to say when BW first saw the boat moored giving date, not when someone reported to snitch line.

Steve; do you pay Council Tax?

Is there somewhere else within the identified mooring zone you could've moored instead?

The BW Ts & Cs confirm no exclusive use of one pontoon/bit of towpath just a right to use a part of it. That's important. What gives you an individual right to those particular 60ft?

Sorry... this might get heated but it's a particular bugbear of mine atm!

It's fairly simple at the 'Thrupp main road' mooring site as there is only two boats. Mine and another. I have one end, the other boat has the other end.

According to BW (now here comes the BW math bit), there is 40m of mooring. I have 22m as part of my agreement and the other boat has 21m (yes I know that makes 43m, but we are talking BW math). It doesn't actually matter because there is about 55m between the posts! Both myself and the other boat has contacted BW about the math bit. They say that they are going to move the post but there's not enough money in the budget at the mo'.

So in answer to your question was there anywhere else to moor within the identified mooring zone that I could have moored in - the answer is no.

I wonder ....

The signs I have seen don't imply that a casual boater cannot moor at these places for 14 days (or whatever is the local rule) - only that if you wish to have a winter mooring at that place you have to pay.

ETA - the monthly winter mooring fee is expensive when you consider that you can stay for 2 of those weeks for free.

Most Winter moorers rock up at the location 14 days before the Winter term starts, stay there for the Winter and then stay over for 14 days at the end of it.

We have a different problem up here, at winter BW mark off huge areas of nice visitor moorings for winter moorings, but not one boat takes up the moorings so when you chug past and see the sign saying permit holders only it's annoying as the whole length is empty..

Casp'

I like that. Where exactly is here?

I like that. Where exactly is here?

It's like that opposite us in Tottenham as well, seeing as the winter moorings (towpath, no services) are about the same price as my (fully serviced, not very cheap) marina, most boats simply moor past the sign on the free bit.

I just want to try and understand the 'Long Term Mooring' so there may be a few ifs and buts here.

I've seen many stretches of bank showing Visitor mooring then continuing to Long term mooring (permit holders only).

If the long term mooring is long enough for (lets say 5 boats) will 5 permits be allocated to only 5 boats for that particular stretch, or will more permits be allocated so if one boat decides to take a trip then someone else with a permit is allowed to moor there? Also do you have to display the permit in your window?

Or is a long term mooring (permit holders only) the same as a permanent mooring?

Many thanks

Terence

I just want to try and understand the 'Long Term Mooring' so there may be a few ifs and buts here.

I've seen many stretches of bank showing Visitor mooring then continuing to Long term mooring (permit holders only).

If the long term mooring is long enough for (lets say 5 boats) will 5 permits be allocated to only 5 boats for that particular stretch, or will more permits be allocated so if one boat decides to take a trip then someone else with a permit is allowed to moor there? Also do you have to display the permit in your window?

Or is a long term mooring (permit holders only) the same as a permanent mooring?

Many thanks

Terence

Hi,

Long term mooring permits are issued to boats to take up the number of meters of the mooring with a small space between boats.

2 mooring permits are issued and should be displayed in windows either side of the boat.

They are not really permanent moorings as the right to a mooring can be cancelled if you are in breach of the local rules on the agreement.

Hope that helps.

Leo

Many thanks

Terence

Edited by LEO

Hi,

Long term mooring permits are issued to boats to take up the number of meters of the mooring with a small space between boats.

2 mooring permits are issued and should be displayed in windows either side of the boat.

They are not really permanent moorings as the right to a mooring can be cancelled if you are in breach of the local rules on the agreement.

Hope that helps.

Leo

Thanks Leo

:)